Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Capaldi's premiere story was an absolutely delight to this old school Doctor Who fan. Whilst the Scottish accent tended to occasionally make me feel like I was watching his old school/band buddy, Craig Ferguson, the man who would be Doctor #12 really delivered both on zane and darkness. Indeed, I counted no less than 3 occasions when the show went to places previously rarely visited...

1) Killing a sad lonely dinosaur in a massive fireball...
2) Mugging a homeless man...
3) Leaving Clara in the hands of the enemy...

Yes, nothing was in fact that clear cut... He did ultimately give the homeless man his gold watch as payment for the jacket... And he didn't actually leave Clara, so much as just allow her to be bait for his "trap"... And the dinosaur was - just a dinosaur - but these elements all added to the tone of the story, very much going places Smith rarely could.

The Doctor is dead. Long live the Doctor.

Love Smith (and Eccleston, Tennant ... and all previous incarnations), but it Capaldi is definitely bringing what feels like a slightly darker tone (of course, that’s also the writer/director).

Great first episode, but it usually takes couple for the new Doctor to settle in the role, so Im excited at how much better this will get considering how good it started :)

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Post regeneration episodes like the new companion episodes can be a bit of a chore you've got to have them but they're never the best.
"Deep Breath" wasn't the best post regeneration episode, i probably enjoyed the "Christmas invasion" and The Eleventh hour" more, but it had its moments.

From the small amount we've see of him so far Capaldi reminds me more of the old Doctors than 10 or 11 which will take a bit of getting used. On that note i think the Matt Smith scene was a mistake, you were just getting used to the the new man and the last one pops up and reminds you how brilliant he was.

Hopefully Capaldi will get some good scripts that he can get stuck in to over the course of the series. Looking forward to it.

Side note: enjoyed the scene with the tramp, particularly as it was filmed outside in a old Victorian mansion around the corner from my house.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Just having a new Dr. Who episode to watch made me happy. Overall, I thought "Deep Breath" was excellent.

I found the link between the clockwork robots in the new episode and the clockwork robots in the previous "The Girl in the Fireplace" episode to be interesting. Does anyone have any thoughts on the woman named "Missy" in the "Promised Land" sequence, who says the doctor is her boyfriend?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Just having a new Dr. Who episode to watch made me happy. Overall, I thought "Deep Breath" was excellent.

I found the link between the clockwork robots in the new episode and the clockwork robots in the previous "The Girl in the Fireplace" episode to be interesting. Does anyone have any thoughts on the woman named "Missy" in the "Promised Land" sequence, who says the doctor is her boyfriend?

I also loved "Deep Breath" and Matt Smith has competition for fave Doctor with me. (I've liked all the NEw Who Docs, many of the Classic as well) That look he gave after the Half-Face man fell (was pushed?) was awesome! Clara is really coming into her own as a character.

I really think Missy might be the Rani. Probably will be proven wrong though.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Loved Capaldi's debut, although the plot wasn't as good as Smith's 11th Hour. But I do have the feeling Capaldi will be my favorite doctor (current favorite is Eccleston) by the end of the series.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Clara's reaction in this episode made absolutely no sense. She's known every incarnation of the Doctor up to this point, young and old.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Indeed, Clara's reaction grated for me, too...

Thankfully (I hope) they're moving on quickly...

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I think we have to consider the other Clara's as separate to this one, as done have died. She stepped into the Doctor's time stream and appeared in his past, but I think what appeared is an echo of the current Clara.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I think we have to consider the other Clara's as separate to this one, as done have died. She stepped into the Doctor's time stream and appeared in his past, but I think what appeared is an echo of the current Clara.

That might make sense, except that at the end of "The Name of the Doctor" she explicitly says that she has seen all but one of his faces. Meaning she has the memories of those incarnations.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Clara "saw" them but didn't really know them or travel with them the way she did with 11. She also didn't see the actual change first hand close up the way she did with 11, knowing is never quite the same as seeing first hand. She saw the Doctor get old, apparently on his last life, then had to hide as he blew up the attacking Daleks with some of his newly-granted regeneration energy. After that she went to the Tardis and probably was expecting a changed Doctor (I certainly was thinking Capaldi would appear then) but saw an apparently rejuvenated Matt Smith suddenly vanish with an older (sure younger and in much better shape than his aged and dying previous body) face taking it's place. Made me jump after Matt's great goodbye speech.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Remember, too, that this last regeneration broke all the rules. If Clara hadn't made such a heartfelt plea, it wouldn't have happened.

I don't think she had any inkling of this newest Doctor's essence. She is, as mentioned, still reeling from recent events when she's thrust into another "Life or Death" with basically a total stranger. The Doctor isn't "done cooking yet", just like when he first landed in Amy Pond's garden, and the known qualities that she'll come to recognize in the new Doctor haven't made themselves apparent yet. I liked very much the exchange at the end of the episode, wherein the Doctor pleaded with her to "just see me".

Good stuff.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Interesting. A fantastic voyage inside the Dalek and another glimpse of Missy's lair, err, I mean Nethersphere, and mention of darker sides of The Doctor's nature rears its head... again...

Edit: After mulling it over, I'm now wondering if Missy is the Valeyard.

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
- Spoilers -

"First women on the moon"... Umm, have the writers completely forgotten about Martha Jones at this point? Also, the total mass inside of an egg does not increase at any point between being laid and hatching. (and why would killing the creature reduce the mass again?)

Well, though the episode has continuity and [serious, even for Doctor Who] logic issues, there was also good atmosphere and decent character development.

- End of Spoilers -

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
No. Soufflé Girl was introduced to us in the Dalek prison in Season 7, Episode 1 Asylum of the Daleks. She was named Oswin.

You are correct but there' something about Clara.

From the Wiki :

Clara Oswald is a fictional character created by Steven Moffat and portrayed by Jenna Coleman in the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. First appearing in the show's seventh series, Clara serves as a companion of the eleventh and twelfth incarnations of the alien time traveller known as the Doctor (portrayed by Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi).

Clara is presented to the audience during the first half of the seventh series as three distinct though similarly named people living in different eras of time. The first two incarnations, Oswin Oswald and Clara Oswin Oswald, each die during the episode in which they appear. The third incarnation becomes the Doctor's companion, travelling with him for the remainder of the series as he tries to uncover the mystery of her multiple lives. The mystery is later resolved in "The Name of the Doctor".

The writers have something in mind for this "mysterious girl".

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
What's your point? I just gave the short & sweet answer to your question. Anyone who watches regularly already knows all that other info, too.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Wasn't Clara's first introduction when she was on the moon ?

No, the first incarnation we saw of her was on the Dalek Asylum planet, while the second and third (i.e. the real Clara) were both on Earth.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
What's your point? I just gave the short & sweet answer to your question. Anyone who watches regularly already knows all that other info, too.

No, the first incarnation we saw of her was on the Dalek Asylum planet, while the second and third (i.e. the real Clara) were both on Earth.

Whats your point.Somebody who thinks he's a know it all already answered the question.

Good grief kids..Relax..

Go do some drugs or something.

But mark my words.

Clara is going to wind up related to River Song.

Watch and learn.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Peter's slowly growing on me but I still think it was a weird choice to use an actor who'd already been on the show.
Also annoyed at how badly the writers have been handling time travel paradoxes lately.
Time Heist made no sense at all.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Peter's slowly growing on me but I still think it was a weird choice to use an actor who'd already been on the show.
It's not the first time they've done that: Colin Baker appeared in the Fifth Doctor story Ark of Infinity before being cast as the sixth Doctor.

Time Heist made no sense at all.
To me Time Heist made the most sense of any of the episodes this season... Which admittedly doesn't say very much.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World

But mark my words.

Clara is going to wind up related to River Song.

Watch and learn.

Not sure if I understand what you're saying, so I'll have to ask questions. :)

Are you saying the "mystery" of Clara (which during Season 7 revolved around her "multiple lives") wasn't (fully) revealed in "The Name of the Doctor" episode? Or are you saying there is another major (Clara) plot point yet to be revealed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.