Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you order it on t-mobile it will be locked. If you order it on apple, then it should be unlocked.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
If I order iphone 6+ unlocked on tmobile (full price) will it come unlocked to get the phone and switch to cricket wireless?

Thanks

As of August 1st, any US carrier MUST unlock your phone if you either buy it outright or you have finished paying it off. It is the law.
It may come to you locked in the mail, but you can have it unlocked immediately and I know for a fact T-Mobile unlocks it upon request if paid in full up front. I've done it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
As of August 1st, any US carrier MUST unlock your phone if you either buy it outright or you have finished paying it off. It is the law.
It may come to you locked in the mail, but you can have it unlocked immediately and I know for a fact T-Mobile unlocks it upon request if paid in full up front. I've done it.
That's not exactly what the law says. Basically, DMCA says its illegal to circumvent copy protection mechanisms. There was an exception for cellphone unlocking but that expired so unlocking without the carrier's consent (e.g. 3rd party unlocks) became punishable by jail time. The new law just makes it so you're free to unlock your fully paid for phone through other means if your carrier doesn't offer an official unlock.

I think a law requiring carriers to unlock phones that are fully paid for is currently being drafted but it hasn't been passed yet and obviously isn't in effect.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
That's not exactly what the law says. Basically, DMCA says its illegal to circumvent copy protection mechanisms. There was an exception for cellphone unlocking but that expired so unlocking without the carrier's consent (e.g. 3rd party unlocks) became punishable by jail time. The new law just makes it so you're free to unlock your fully paid for phone through other means if your carrier doesn't offer an official unlock.

I think a law requiring carriers to unlock phones that are fully paid for is currently being drafted but it hasn't been passed yet and obviously isn't in effect.

Direct from the FCC:
Q: Will My Postpaid Phone Be Unlocked on Request?
Once the new standards are fully implemented: Yes, provided the terms and conditions of your service contract are met and you are in good standing. You should speak with your service provider to understand the terms and conditions of your agreement and the provider's policies on unlocking mobile devices.

Q: Will My Prepaid Phone Be Unlocked on Request?
Once the new standards are fully implemented: Yes, participating service providers have agreed to unlock prepaid devices within one year of initial activation, consistent with reasonable time, payment, or usage requirements.

Q: Which Service Providers Are Implementing the New Standards on Unlocking Mobile Devices?
The website of CTIA-The Wireless Association, www.ctia.org, has a current list of signatories to the Consumer Code for Wireless Service, which includes the new standards. If your wireless carrier is not one of the participating service providers, please contact them directly regarding their device unlocking policy.

Q: When Is My Device Eligible for Unlocking?
Once the new standards are fully implemented, your postpaid device is eligible to be unlocked after you have fulfilled the applicable service contract, completed the device installment plan or paid an early termination fee
. Your prepaid device is eligible to be unlocked no later than one year after activation, consistent with reasonable time, payment, or usage requirements.

Q: Can My Mobile Service Provider Refuse to Unlock My Phone Because I Owe Them Money or Am Currently Under Contract?
Yes. Providers do not have to unlock devices for customers or former customers that are not in good standing. You should contact your mobile service provider to understand the terms and conditions of your agreement and your provider's unlocking policies.

Additionally, I bought a Lumia 925 direct from T-Mobile (paid in full) and I requested and got the phone unlocked the day I got it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Direct from the FCC:

Additionally, I bought a Lumia 925 direct from T-Mobile (paid in full) and I requested and got the phone unlocked the day I got it.
That's a voluntary unlocking agreement and the full requirements don't even take effect until February 11, 2015. Both AT&T and T-Mobile already had unlock policies in place prior to the agreement taking effect. However, this is not a law. It's just something the select carriers are voluntary agreeing to.

Mobile Phone and Device Unlocking FAQs

Consumers often question why they may not have the choice of using their existing mobile wireless device when they change between compatible wireless service providers. The answer is usually a practice called cell phone locking and it is about to change.

On February 11, 2014, CTIA-The Wireless Association adopted six standards on unlocking into the CTIA's Consumer Code for Wireless Service. Implementation of these six standards by major mobile wireless service providers will give consumers greater freedom and flexibility while increasing incentives for service providers to innovate. Participating wireless service providers will implement at least three of these six standards by May 11, 2014, and all of these standards by February 11, 2015.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.