Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corysxj88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Here is my one question though...Does apple not believe in LED text notification light on the front of their phones?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
In the early days of my IT geekery I used to love customizing the UI of my devices. I still have a Sony Clie laying around with a custom firmware I loaded. But now, I no longer want to mess with all that crap. Honestly, iOS is getting boring, but it works fairly consistently.

I had to carry an Android for work for a bit. I thought for sure I would finally be lured in by all the wonderment Fandroids were always going on about. Nope. Couldn't stand the thing.

Additionally, I eventually broke down and purchased an iPad, AppleTV, and a Retina MacBook Pro. I love the the integration which seams to be getting better and better. Combined with Office 365 (esp Exchange and One Note) all of my collaboration needs are met as well. (I still run a Windows VM in Parallels for Project and Visio and some other work tools).

----------

Here is my one question though...Does apple not believe in LED text notification light on the front of their phones?

Ugh! This. My one pet peeve!

tb12

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
My first touch screen smartphone was a Galaxy S II. I really liked it but it always crashed and I just couldn't ever get used to listening to music on a non-Apple device (i've had a number of iPods before I got my first iPhone).

When people say that iPhones are overpriced, the reason it seems that way is because Samsung needs to keep it's phones affordable. Otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance in competing with Apple, and the affordability is the main reason they have such a great market presence.

The thing about Samsung is they always come out with the newest technology first, but Apple always comes back and makes those features much better. My 5 hasn't crashed once since I got it 2 years ago, and the UI is just crisp.

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2011
What is it about Iphones that makes you want them?

Think it comes down to the apple ecosystem....first apple product was a iPod touch. When my windows computer wouldn't play nice with it...I took it to the apple store and all they did was plug it into iTunes. After that's I bought a MacBook Pro and then came the iPhones! Honestly they just work. I came from the Motorola razr to an iphone 3G I think,

So I haven't been in this system long, but have no intention of leaving.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I get so many people giving me a hard time about "going with the hipsters" and that apple products are just too over priced and behind on technology.....

What do you guys say to that?
So what? I like it. That's reason enough. That said, I guess I'm lucky that I don't have to deal with any hardcore fanboys from either camp. While we do get into tech discussions, we're all pretty respectful of each others' choices. The only place I encounter fanboys is on forums and it's easy enough to just roll my eyes and ignore them.

Its not so much that I prefer the iPhone, I prefer the integration between all my Apple products and other Apple product users which is most of my friends and family.
Lol, for me, it's partly this, too. Majority of my friends and family use iPhones so it's the path of least resistance. :p

Mac Wolf

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2014
The operating software, the ecosystem (I'm locked in with an ipad, macbook...even apple tv) and the app store. While the Android market has been growing, there are still many apps that 1.) Are iphone only or 2.) Are in the app store for a good 3-4 months before the android version for it comes out.

The actual design of the hardware is a level of craftsmanship in a different stratosphere than the rest.

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I think it was back in 2003 I got my first iPod. I was originally looking at a Rio device but the iPod was so much better in every single way. In 2006 I finally bit the bullet and got a MacBook and have never looked back since. In 2007 I got an iMac and original all of which I handed down to my parents and both still working great which is testament to Apple build quality.

Going to be honest I did not have much luck with the iPhone 5 which is partly down to my own fault for first breaking the screen and then the battery went nuts one day and fried the phone costing me £200.

What has kept me getting new phones is purely based on the fact that I like shiny new things. Now I have got kids I need to be more sensible so will probably keep the iPhone 6 Plus for a good long while.

It is not that I haven't tried Android either. I got the Google Nexus One but I did not enjoy it and the HTC hardware was poor. My wife had a HTC Magic but that was a very early version of Android and getting slow. Then my wife had a Nexus 7, but the battery life was bad so I got her an iPad Mini instead and she uses that all of the time and loves it. My wife also has a Chromebook which is perfect for her.

Personally I just like Apple devices and willing to pay a slight premium for quality and user experience. I also like the Apple ecosystem. Some people criticise iCloud which I think is more of a hangover from the bad MobileMe PR. iCloud works great for me. If I was fully into the Google ecosystem I would probably go Android, but never really liked or used the Google equivalents.

joeptp

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Austin, TX
1. Works great, smooth, very appealing to look at

2. All the best apps come to iPhone first. The apps also look much better on iOS

3. When I download an app, I don't have to worry about my data being compromised, slowing down my phone, or any security issues. Apple checks every app to make sure it was built to work great with their phones and to protect their users

4. I have a dedicated Apple Store close to me that I can go to anytime when I have any issues or problems.

5. Customer service

6. Plays friendly with my iMac and Macbook Pro

7. iCloud is cheap and makes life easier if anything happens to your phone

8. iMessage

Tired of all the "Android did this first" or "Android has better specs" etc. I don't care. I have never had an iPhone not perform to my needs. Do you really think Apple can't throw in all the beefy specs into their phones? The Apple engineers know exactly what they are doing.

:apple:

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I bought an iPad Mini because I was super pleased with my iPhone 4S.
I bought an iPhone 4S because I was super pleased with my iPod Touch.
I bought an iPod Touch because I was super pleased with my MacBook.
I bought a MacBook because my Dell laptop started falling apart literally the day after the warranty ran out. :rolleyes:
I bought a Dell because "it's silly to waste money on overpriced Apple products."

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
4. I have a dedicated Apple Store close to me that I can go to anytime when I have any issues or problems.

5. Customer service
These two are the reasons why I recommend Apple devices to other people asking me for advice. ;)

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'm going to turn my answer in to my I like Apple in general becuase its the same for all Apple products.
I want Apple products for many reasons. One is the quality of the devices. As Steve Jobs once said "Apple doesnt ship junk". I believe this to be true. Another is for how the OS. I love iOS and OS X for the simpleness and ability. I also like how Apple products are works of art (except for the antennas on the iPhone 6/6 Plus... That **** ain't art). Hmmm I think thats it.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
So this is my first time, not owning an apple product, but first time owning an iPhone. I have always been an Fandroid until now. I get so many people giving me a hard time about "going with the hipsters" and that apple products are just too over priced and behind on technology.....

What do you guys say to that?

What made me want to switch was just the way IOS is setup...I like a fluid everything is and I like that it doesn't crash ever other day and things are snappy.
Even though my Galaxy S4 has a "better" camera than my wife's iphone 4s...I still that the iphone takes better pictures.

I just think apple makes a really nice product and the cases that companies make for them are also killer!

You've already given the answers I typically give. Though, I usually answer in the general case that:

Individual specs of individual components are meaningless. It's the entire experience that's important. iPhones, I've found, have a superior user experience to their competitors regardless of what the specs for this piece or that piece are. I use a device for the experience, not for what the listed clock speed is for some particular chip.

I love the build quality, the feel in the hand, the precision engineering that goes into an iPhone. For the same reason that, for some people, a BMW or a Mercedes is worth the extra money over a Honda, an iPhone is worth the extra money over an Android. For others, the creature comforts aren't important, and that's ok. But for those of us that is important, there's iPhone.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
For me it's about harmonisation with my computers (iMac/MBP)/iTunes etc

I think it'll just work more seamlessly. iOS has proven to be awful at file handling, but otherwise it's simple to use and nice to look at. Aesthetics are definitely a big part of it.

Vast majority of people don't have specific needs so could make do with any phone and will just buy whatever they think is cool. Which is fair play.

I did have a specific need this time for the first time ever (needed a single phone/tablet device for lightweight travel), which was why I was about to drop Apple for Samsung, but Apple came through with the phablet 6+.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Just watching part 1 of the TC Charlie Rose interview, I rememebered that I switched to Macs because Apple controls the hardware, software and services. So with iPhones i never get the feeling that one part was designed without the other in mind. The products obviously will never be perfect, but I always get the impression of a strive for perfection in them.

You could begin with OS updates. I have a friend with an older Galaxy phone that was almost shocked that I said there was likely a newer OS available for it. But I don't know how to update Android stuff, so I couldn't help much. When Apple has a new OS version, I know where to go. I don't have to worry about someone else pushing it to me.

Fandroids will often go on for days about all the features they had first. Well, wow. Just because you had access to A system to make payments using NFC doesn't mean it was good, popular or whatnot. Because of the fractured nature of Android, there was no Tim Cook saying "we're going to have this mobile payment system on our new phones that will sell 50 million units in three months. It's easy and more secure than credit cards. You want to support it?" Hell, I've been able to pay using PayPal at Home Depot for a while but haven't because there's no compelling reason and it's not simple.

This goes for a bazillion other features. I really don't give a crap about having the most customizable phone on the planet. I know from experience that this requires you to pretty much do your own tech support way too much of the time. I do it enough with iOS devices. I know how much more can be required from using customized Windows PCs.

So that's the tip of the iceberg. I really just want stuff to work. Apple isn't perfect, but it gets the closest of anybody in my opinion. It sure as hell isn't as customer unfriendly as Comcast. If Apple were to start some ISP division, I think a lot of us Comcast subscribers would leap with joy. I'm even rooting for Google Fiber to branch out and be more of a national provider. Comcast is horrible at dealing with you and would never do something like refund you for icloud storage and then bump you up because new plans rolled out. It's the little things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.