Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I love Target but I live in an area with a lot of potential iPhone/iPad customers. My local Targets have always had very few phones, if any, on launch day.

It would be nice if that changed this year though...

rwkleinjr

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Went and got on the preorder list and just used the $25 gift card on groceries I needed anyway... risk-free deal.

The guy told me that he was pretty shocked last year when they got the 5S's in on launch day and he was confident the store will get several 6's in on the 19th. I was the first person to preorder the 6+, so that's nice too. If the AT&T Store line on Friday doesn't work out, maybe Target will shock me. Eventually.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
I had an extremely frustrating experience at Target today. Got up early to be there when the doors were unlocked before work. I was told I could only preorder from the mobile guy and he wouldn't be in until 11. Preordering the iPhone 6 and 6plus in stores only, was prominently displayed on their website with zero asterisk that local hours could be different. So there I was, as the door clicked open, expecting to be first in line and head to work for the day. Instead, the store manager and an employer debated whether it was "Tyler" or "Eric" coming in and whether Tyler/Eric was coming in at 10 or 11. I was honestly floored by the lack of preparation and the overall lack of top-down leadership that it displayed.

Needless to say I drove back over my lunch hour and this time the "phone guy" was there, and it was indeed "Tyler". Tyler told me I was still the first one to preorder. That made me feel much better. But then I felt worse when he said "it's not technically a preorder, it's more of a reservation, sort of". He explained that basically I was first on a waiting list for the particular phone I wanted (plus, 64gb, space gray) but they had no idea if they would get that phone or when. He told me that last time they did a preorder some people never got their models in. Like ever.

I wanted to pay for it so they'd have more accountability, otherwise what's to save Tyler from calling two friends who give him $20 each for the right to buy the two 6pluses they get in? But he said it wasn't set up to take payment.

I have a target red card that gets me 5% off and a pharmacy rewards coupon that gets me another 5% off and I have confirmed that I can combine those and use them on the iPhone and I'm buying off contract so I really can't justify to myself not buying it from Target when I can cut $85 right off the top. I just may not get it until Christmas.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
I had an extremely frustrating experience at Target today. Got up early to be there when the doors were unlocked before work. I was told I could only preorder from the mobile guy and he wouldn't be in until 11. Preordering the iPhone 6 and 6plus in stores only, was prominently displayed on their website with zero asterisk that local hours could be different. So there I was, as the door clicked open, expecting to be first in line and head to work for the day. Instead, the store manager and an employer debated whether it was "Tyler" or "Eric" coming in and whether Tyler/Eric was coming in at 10 or 11. I was honestly floored by the lack of preparation and the overall lack of top-down leadership that it displayed.

Needless to say I drove back over my lunch hour and this time the "phone guy" was there, and it was indeed "Tyler". Tyler told me I was still the first one to preorder. That made me feel much better. But then I felt worse when he said "it's not technically a preorder, it's more of a reservation, sort of". He explained that basically I was first on a waiting list for the particular phone I wanted (plus, 64gb, space gray) but they had no idea if they would get that phone or when. He told me that last time they did a preorder some people never got their models in. Like ever.

I wanted to pay for it so they'd have more accountability, otherwise what's to save Tyler from calling two friends who give him $20 each for the right to buy the two 6pluses they get in? But he said it wasn't set up to take payment.

I have a target red card that gets me 5% off and a pharmacy rewards coupon that gets me another 5% off and I have confirmed that I can combine those and use them on the iPhone and I'm buying off contract so I really can't justify to myself not buying it from Target when I can cut $85 right off the top. I just may not get it until Christmas.

think about it this way if your local target store mobile department open at 11am it gives you a opportunity to wait in line else where

grizzy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Just an FYI. They did this the last two releases and they never came through.

Last year, for the 5s, I was the first one on their preorder list. They said they expected some in on launch day and I'd be their first call. Never heard from them.

Endless threads about the Target preorder on here last year...none of them positive.

Who knows though, maybe stock will be better this year (though I doubt it judging by the carrier shipping times). I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, I'm hoping for the best but bracing for the worse! Doesn't reassure me hearing they did the same thing for the 5s. Is this how Best Buy, Wal Mart and Radio Shack do it as well? It doesn't seem like it would be hard to have an actual inventory reservation system. Or at least an estimate like the Apple Store (shipping in 2-3 weeks).

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Yeah, I'm hoping for the best but bracing for the worse! Doesn't reassure me hearing they did the same thing for the 5s. Is this how Best Buy, Wal Mart and Radio Shack do it as well? It doesn't seem like it would be hard to have an actual inventory reservation system. Or at least an estimate like the Apple Store (shipping in 2-3 weeks).

My best buy here didn't take pre orders for the 6plus. I talked to target today and called another one,what they are telling me is they got an internal email saying they will have stock for release,but they aren't sure if they will have them Friday or ship them Friday. Anyways they told me to expect an email at the latest Sunday. So we may not have them at launch but hopefully we should have them by Sunday. He also told me they will overnight the phones to the stores.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
My best buy here didn't take pre orders for the 6plus. I talked to target today and called another one,what they are telling me is they got an internal email saying they will have stock for release,but they aren't sure if they will have them Friday or ship them Friday. Anyways they told me to expect an email at the latest Sunday. So we may not have them at launch but hopefully we should have them by Sunday. He also told me they will overnight the phones to the stores.

Okay, great, thanks a lot for the information! He meant expect an email this Sunday, the 14th? Let us know if you get one will ya?

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Yea, he said while other stores are few weeks back ordered target is only 1-3 days back ordered. I don't know how true this is, so take it with a grain of salt. But what I can say for sure is within the 1st week of the 5S launch, Target was the only store that had them in Stock. I drove everywhere to. So I tend to want to believe what the rep was saying.

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
6+ 64gb SG ordered at Target

Same boat as you guys. Also first to order. I was under the assumption that they contact you on the 19th when the unit is in and ready for sale? I'll make sure to update here as things progress.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Ok just posting back. I got some good and bad news. Good news is my buddy that works in the mobile dept said Target got 18 thousand units. He didn't know if it was 18 thousand of iPhone 6 and 18 thousand of 6 Plus or if it was 18 thousand of both units combined. Any way he said it was 3 times as much as what Target ordered last year. He said Target SHOULD be fulfilling the stores that have pre orders first instead of what they did last year and just randomly send stuff out. The bad news is he does not think we will get them in time for Friday launch. He said they're aiming between the first week to two weeks after launch,He said it could be earlier but this is what they're telling people just in case its not there come Friday. This is what his district manager has told his store. If you guys have any questions let me know and ill ask.

I guess ill be waiting in line at midnight :/

----------

Also forgot to mention he said they should come in by UPS or Fedex and not on their regular trucks. Ask your stores when their special delivery trucks come in and thats when you will find out if your phone came in.

If it goes on track last year he said his store got them in on launch day by UPS around 11 in the morning.

derekgroves

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
My intention is to camp at Apple Store, but out of curiosity while grocery shopping today I swung by Target mobile to inquire.

Disclaimer: take it with a grain of salt as I've yet to encounter a well informed sales associate anywhere.

The story here was that first, AT&T Next is currently "not working in their system" so that option has been removed until around September 30th. Not sure if that's Target wide or just my location. Second, their process is to confirm eligibility for upgrade in store then require $25 to preorder. Now, I tried to get some clear information from the person working as to whether or not their preorder quantities accepted were directly tied to the phones the were getting....in other words, only taking preorders for what they *KNOW* they will get Friday. She said "Yeah, they are- see, here's a list of what we can preorder:" and she commenced to scroll down through the list of all color and size 6's as well as all color and size 6+'s.

I'm sorry, but no- Target is not going to get all available configurations on launch day. This is sketchy. She seemed to imply to me that they had no cap on the huber of preorders they take, and every preorder they get will be guaranteed a phone on launch day. I know better, it's never that easy.

True, worst case it "costs" you a gift card, but Target would NOT be a first, second, or even third choice for me.

I'll be driving to an Apple Store Thursday and serving my time to hopefully get what I want.

Just a "field report" from what's happening at the Target store where I am in Louisiana.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
My intention is to camp at Apple Store, but out of curiosity while grocery shopping today I swung by Target mobile to inquire.

Disclaimer: take it with a grain of salt as I've yet to encounter a well informed sales associate anywhere.

The story here was that first, AT&T Next is currently "not working in their system" so that option has been removed until around September 30th. Not sure if that's Target wide or just my location. Second, their process is to confirm eligibility for upgrade in store then require $25 to preorder. Now, I tried to get some clear information from the person working as to whether or not their preorder quantities accepted were directly tied to the phones the were getting....in other words, only taking preorders for what they *KNOW* they will get Friday. She said "Yeah, they are- see, here's a list of what we can preorder:" and she commenced to scroll down through the list of all color and size 6's as well as all color and size 6+'s.

I'm sorry, but no- Target is not going to get all available configurations on launch day. This is sketchy. She seemed to imply to me that they had no cap on the huber of preorders they take, and every preorder they get will be guaranteed a phone on launch day. I know better, it's never that easy.

True, worst case it "costs" you a gift card, but Target would NOT be a first, second, or even third choice for me.

I'll be driving to an Apple Store Thursday and serving my time to hopefully get what I want.

Just a "field report" from what's happening at the Target store where I am in Louisiana.

What I am interpreting Target trying to do this year is only send what was pre ordered to the stores,Like a true pre order should be. Target made good for the PS4 and Xbox ones in my area so im hoping this will be the same thing they do.

----------

I just noticed also that my receipt actually says Preorder on it. Last year for the 5S I think they said Reservation on them. I could be wrong.

money9491

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Did anyone who did a target pre-order order the phone 'device-only'? I'm just shy of halfway through my Verizon contract and would like to upgrade to a 6+ by paying the full retail price (keeping my current contract, just upgrading the phone) and I'd like to do it at Target to get my discounts there.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Did anyone who did a target pre-order order the phone 'device-only'? I'm just shy of halfway through my Verizon contract and would like to upgrade to a 6+ by paying the full retail price (keeping my current contract, just upgrading the phone) and I'd like to do it at Target to get my discounts there.

No target will not let you get the phone without a contract.

apple.snapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
can you do an AT&T next upgrade with target? I'm doing apple.com this year, but if I can avoid all the BS (waking up at 3:00, etc) I'll take Target .

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I did go back to Target today and checked in with the phone rep. Different guy today, but he was familiar with the operation and reiterated that emails and text messages will go out to pre-order customers as soon as the units arrive. No idea when that will be—could be Thursday or Christmas.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
Yes, only b/c wife is Target Pharmacist and I get discount.

Nice. I was a target pharmacist until feb of this year. I loved that 15% to 20% discount and I will miss it. The thing I won't miss was waiting 2 to 3 months until Target mobile actually got the phone in. I will still ask my friends if they can get me the discount.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
No target will not let you get the phone without a contract.

I'm halfway through my contract and told the guy I wanted to pay full retail price to upgrade and he said okay and didn't seem like it would be an issue. I guess I don't understand why it would be. We're willing to pay full price for it and we have a contract- why would they care if we're eligible for the the carrier subsidy or not?

----------

What I am interpreting Target trying to do this year is only send what was pre ordered to the stores,Like a true pre order should be. Target made good for the PS4 and Xbox ones in my area so im hoping this will be the same thing they do.

----------

I just noticed also that my receipt actually says Preorder on it. Last year for the 5S I think they said Reservation on them. I could be wrong.

Gosh I hope you're right. Mine also says preorder on it. Maybe they were able to do it better this year than with the 5s since there was sort of an actual preorder unlike the 5s which was just a waiting list really.

----------

Thanks for the report. Am I the only one who didn't have to pay for a gift card? I got a preorder receipt but no mention from the guy of a deposit. Makes me even more nervous!

----------

Ok just posting back. I got some good and bad news. Good news is my buddy that works in the mobile dept said Target got 18 thousand units. He didn't know if it was 18 thousand of iPhone 6 and 18 thousand of 6 Plus or if it was 18 thousand of both units combined. Any way he said it was 3 times as much as what Target ordered last year. He said Target SHOULD be fulfilling the stores that have pre orders first instead of what they did last year and just randomly send stuff out. The bad news is he does not think we will get them in time for Friday launch. He said they're aiming between the first week to two weeks after launch,He said it could be earlier but this is what they're telling people just in case its not there come Friday. This is what his district manager has told his store. If you guys have any questions let me know and ill ask.

----------

Also forgot to mention he said they should come in by UPS or Fedex and not on their regular trucks. Ask your stores when their special delivery trucks come in and thats when you will find out if your phone came in.

If it goes on track last year he said his store got them in on launch day by UPS around 11 in the morning.

Thanks for that! Keep the updates coming! So does your friend know will they email us if they know one is headed to the store reserved for us or only after it arrives at the store? I really hopes this works out because me saving 10% definitely helps a lot.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006

----------

Wow, that timeline sucks. If they have the phones already, why wait such a long time to ship and deliver them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.