Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Most of my one hand operation is scrolling swiping back.

dont worry too much about us future iphone 6+ users though. We got the larger screen for our needs :)

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Hopefully Apple comes out with a one handed setting for the keyboard, like the one Samsung uses. If Apple doesn't do it, maybe at least some of the 3d party keyboards will have it. I'm fine with the tradeoff of not being able to type one handed (comfortably, because it is doable at least for me) on the 6 Plus, but a one handed setting is quite useful.

nexusae0_Screen-Shot-2013-10-14-at-3.37.03-PM-668x372.png

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Livonia, Michigan
Just voicing my opinion... As we are all doing.

I'm sure it will matter to some people, it doesn't matter to me.

But why on earth would it matter to you what may or may not matter to others?

----------

Kinda hoping this takes off. I like the idea of sending voice messages.

iOS8 introduces "audio" messaging. I suspect either Siri or audio will be the only method for one handed operations on the 6+

Apparently in China, audio messaging is how the primarily message.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Even with the 5 and the 5s I always texted using 2 hands. It's just faster for me that way. So no I'm not worried about that.

Agreed. HOWEVER, we will be getting the swype keyboard, which is designed for one handed use. I suspect a lot of folks will be interested in this.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I realized that I do text one-handed sometimes, but I also realized that I'm much better typing two-handed. Also, with a faster phone with more RAM than my 4S that won't close my music when I use Siri voice dictation in the car, I'll be using Siri much more while driving if I need to text. I'm looking forward to the extra real estate on the 5.5.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Your dexterity will improve over time anyway even if you are struggling when you first get it.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I rarely text one handed and I'm always going to have an extra hand to help me. I don't know anyone who text with just one hand every time.

Also it should be noted that developers will come out with one-handed keyboards to help and then this will be a moot point.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I have a 5S right now and I don't post or text 1 handed anyways. I usually cradle the phone in my left hand and type with my right hand.

lusticke

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2014
I prefer to type two-handed. But maybe that is because I have the Note 3. I can't remember how I typed before I had this phone. I use Swype sometimes. But I prefer two-handed typing with haptic feedback.

warriorz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
This is my primary concern about getting the 6+. I use my 5S one handed all the time. Walking around shopping carrying stuff in one hand, phone in the other, sitting at the table eating something with one hand, phone in the other. Even just standing around, I find I use one hand because it's quick/informal/casual ... not a "I GOT TWO HANDS WORKIN' THIS THING" type of ordeal.

I'm still conflicted.

I agree. I actually ordered the smaller 4.7inch but if I can't effectively use that one handed when for example grocery shopping, or all of the examples you give and more I'll probably send it back and stick to the 5S. That would be a shame as I did feel a change was needed with the iPhone but if it's not practical in everyday use there's just no point in having the latest and greatest.

Last edited:

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I'm still considering an iPhone 6+, but to me one handed use is not a concern. I don't text one handed because I don't text while I drive, and I also don't type while I walk. I will text while I'm standing like when I'm out shopping, etc. but I'll automatically go to landscape mode on my 5S. In fact, I do everything in landscape unless the app I'm using doesn't support landscape mode.

Considering I have x-large hands (evidenced by glove, garden glove purchases), the iPhone 6+ may slightly enhance my one handed usage. The keyboard being larger while in regular mode may help me out. I doubt to the extent that I'll use it often, but maybe in a pinch. I already view my iPhone 5S as a small iPad so I don't think the iPhone 6+ will be much of a change for me.

I'm really concerned about putting the 6+ in my pocket and having it dig into my leg or something. That'd be annoying. I'm going to wait until I can see one in the store before I make a final decision.

AppleChic76

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
I ONLY text one handed. With my thumb. Always. Super fast. Another reason the plus wouldn't work for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.