Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
I find those haters that praise companies like Samsung and attack Apple at every opportunity, and trolls that are so blind to their devotions that they go to the extent to suggest that Apple is in trouble/Apple is never wrong/Android and Windows are better.

I just found it laughable.

Kind of like the haters that praise Apple and attack every other OEM at every opportunity, and trolls that are so blind to their devotions that they go to the extent to suggest that ... oh wait.

However, I believe that people (and the press, shareholders, etc.) should pressure Apple to do more stuff like this.

Basically, with few hundred million dollars, they cornered the Saphire market and will only profit directly (their products) or indirectly (selling Saphire to others).

Why isn't Apple doing the same with Tesla's Gigafactory? Why isn't Apple investing in "power" (general resources, green energy, sell it)? Heck, not even a bank-like operation with so many cash?

Visa would quickly **** their pants.

If every initiative went wrong, Apple would recover in 1 month, while getting a lot of potential extra billion dollars each quarter and not depending as much on hardware sales.

Then again, what do I know? I'm nobody. Yet. :)

You really think it is as easy as just dumping some money into something? Investing in "power" (green energy and selling it)? Oh boy, where to start.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
any proof of this.

people with 2 accounts i wouldn't say would fall in the "a lot" category.

VISA has more than 800 million card holders

I'm from outside the US and everyone I know who wanted to try iRadio did that, it's very common if you search in forums in other languages (english is my 3rd language), I mean, it is certainly a very popular thing, f.e:

https://translate.google.com/transl...a-na-Y-Latinoamerica_2.htm&edit-text=&act=url

That's why I say meeh everytime Tim Cook talks about the exact 800 million or whatever amount of itunes accounts they have, I'm sure the number grew incredibly in certain countries when they presented iRadio for example, as I said, and it was only available in the US.

I'm not saying the number is not huge, but I think that outside the US maybe 10-20% (in my area quite 50% for sure) of the accounts are artificial, which is a lot if you consider the size of the number itself.

Then there are people who buy 5 apple devices and create 4 artifical accounts using family members' data so they have 5xfree iCloud space... when those 4 family members have no clue about apple and, of course, don't buy a single thing. Why? Because maybe that person never downloads non free apps and uses pirated contents, or streaming services (spotify f.e.), so he doesn't care about sharing buys between his devices.

I think americans in general are very ingenuous about this kind of picaresque.

Last edited:

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
Are you seeing truckloads of sapphire displays being transported out of the factory? ;)
How many trucks would you expect? The sapphire sheets will be 0.02 mm thick. The volume of one 20" shipping container could hold enough sapphire for about 200 million iPhones 5s.
That would be way to heavy for a truck, and there would need to be packaging and such, so lets sat just 10% of the volume was actual sapphire.
Then a handful of trucks could easily be enough for a holiday quarter's worth of iPhones. Who would notice?

Narien

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
How many trucks would you expect? The sapphire sheets will be 0.02 mm thick. The volume of one 20" shipping container could hold enough sapphire for about 200 million iPhones 5s.
That would be way to heavy for a truck, and there would need to be packaging and such, so lets sat just 10% of the volume was actual sapphire.
Then a handful of trucks could easily be enough for a holiday quarter's worth of iPhones. Who would notice?

Where did you pull this thickness from? I smell ********...

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
I'm from outside the US and everyone I know who wanted to try iRadio did that, it's very common if you search in forums in other languages (english is my 3rd language), I mean, it is certainly a very popular thing, f.e:

https://translate.google.com/transl...a-na-Y-Latinoamerica_2.htm&edit-text=&act=url

That's why I say meeh everytime Tim Cook talks about the exact 800 million or whatever amount of itunes accounts they have, I'm sure the number grew incredibly in certain countries when they presented iRadio for example, as I said, and it was only available in the US.

I'm not saying the number is not huge, but I think that outside the US maybe 10-20% (in my area quite 50% for sure) of the accounts are artificial, which is a lot if you consider the size of the number itself.

Then there are people who buy 5 apple devices and create 4 artifical accounts using family members' data so they have 5xfree iCloud space... when those 4 family members have no clue about apple and, of course, don't buy a single thing. Why? Because maybe that person never downloads non free apps and uses pirated contents, or streaming services (spotify f.e.), so he doesn't care about sharing buys between his devices.

I think americans in general are very innocent about this kind of picaresque.
The 800 million number is accounts with credit cards.
You don't need an extra credit card for an extra account, and getting a US credit card with a fake US address is hard.
So not a lot of those 800 will be duplicate users.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Ladies and gentlemen, here is your annual iPhone shortage production constraint

How to you get that out of:

"The build-out of our Arizona facility, which has involved taking a 1.4 million square foot facility from a shell to a functional structure as well as the installation of sapphire growth and fabrication equipment, is nearly complete and we are commencing the transition to volume production," Gutierrez continued.

and

GT also confirmed that it expects to meet the targets outlined in its deal with Apple, allowing to receive the final $139 million prepayment from Apple by the end of October.

Seems like its going to plan, not hobbled by production issues. The transition to volume production means GT has likely made many, many test runs and ironed out any major issues. So IF there is a constraint due to parts I doubt it will be because of Sapphire.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
The 800 million number is accounts with credit cards.
You don't need an extra credit card for an extra account, and getting a US credit card with a fake US address is hard.
So not a lot of those 800 will be duplicate users.

Where do they say all of them have credit cards?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/23/it...ion-accounts-most-with-credit-cards-attached/

As long as I know they only talk about the number of iTunes accounts and everybody suppose that each one has a credit card, and each one is different.

Please, if there is some data about the number of credit cards I would like to know it so I can acknowledge my error, because I have accounts without credit card and others for different people with the same card.

You can, BTW, suppose that if Apple does not talk about credit cards is because they know very well that they are much less than 800 million.

Last edited:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
uh oh...inventory losses worries me that their process isn't as good as they thought it was and the screens aren't turning out clear

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
Where do they say all of them have credit cards?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/23/it...ion-accounts-most-with-credit-cards-attached/

As long as I know they only talk about the number of iTunes accounts and everybody suppose that each one has a credit card, and each one is different.

Please, if there is some data about the number of credit cards I would like to know it so I can acknowledge my error, because I have accounts without credit card and others for different people with the same card.
Hm, here:
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/04/24/itunes800m.
However,
Tim Cook did point out that most of these 800 million accounts have credit card information attached, which is both impressive and frightening.
How much is "most"?
That gives us least 400 million. Still a huge number. And that was way back before April. And growth is still accelerating.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Last edited:

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
I stand corrected... Still, .2 mm sounds really thin, but i guess it could work if it's attached to some other screen!
Absolutely. Apple apparently got some patents for laminated glass with sapphire. The sapphire is just for scratch resistance. Don't need solid sapphire. Also the harder glasses shatter more easily, might be the same for sapphire. Combining it with something else could make it more shatter resistant.

----------

As you point "most" implies +400 million, but Apple being Apple, if it were somewhere around 800 million they would have said "almost 800 million" and not "most of them", and you know it.
And if it was closer to 400 million they would have said "more than half". I'd guess it's something like 600 million.

draugminaion

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Rhudaur
I stand corrected... Still, .2 mm sounds really thin, but i guess it could work if it's attached to some other screen!
And, this also explains how the sapphire doubters could be wrong. They assume the sapphire needs to be sawed, which means thicker sheets, big losses and expensive saws wearing down quickly.
No sawing drastically changes the cost picture.
The ion cannon is bound to be really expensive, but that's R&D you do once.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
I find those haters that praise companies like Samsung and attack Apple at every opportunity, and trolls that are so blind to their devotions that they go to the extent to suggest that Apple is in trouble/Apple is never wrong/Android and Windows are better.

I just found it laughable.

However, I believe that people (and the press, shareholders, etc.) should pressure Apple to do more stuff like this.

Basically, with few hundred million dollars, they cornered the Saphire market and will only profit directly (their products) or indirectly (selling Saphire to others).

Why isn't Apple doing the same with Tesla's Gigafactory? Why isn't Apple investing in "power" (general resources, green energy, sell it)? Heck, not even a bank-like operation with so many cash?

Visa would quickly **** their pants.

If every initiative went wrong, Apple would recover in 1 month, while getting a lot of potential extra billion dollars each quarter and not depending as much on hardware sales.

Then again, what do I know? I'm nobody. Yet. :)

I think their focus on a few products is part of what makes them special. They do a few things and do them better than anyone else. Lets not ask Apple to everything and have them lose their agility. Keep them small and focused on the products they have made that have changed the world.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
Sapphire has been around since the late 1800's

Just curious... do any other mobile device manufacturers use sapphire in their products?

Apple is already using sapphire in the camera cover and the TouchID cover... but they're clearly getting ready for something bigger.

It doesn't seem like anyone else has even considered it.

But if sapphire does become prevalent across the industry... I wonder if people will simply say it was just "natural progression" and forget about Apple's huge initial investment.

Apple is rarely first with anything... but they do have some great ideas. Sometimes Apple doesn't get the credit they deserve when they try something new... instead people say "it would have happened eventually"

Is sapphire one of those things that Apple just happened to bring to market before everyone else could? Was Apple's timing just a coincidence?

Sapphire is not bad for lenses, jewelry, and phone screen covers. The phone screen covers are already being done by another company... you can get a sapphire cover for your iphone4 for example.

http://www.amazon.com/XGear-IP5-KRY-Krystal-Sapphire-Protector/dp/B00D8MHLP4

Corning has experimented with sapphire... and have opted against it. They could have invested a truck load of $ in to sapphire and do it themselves a long time ago but in their reasoning decided not to.

Apple is rarely first with anything... I am sure they have intellectual property... usually from acquiring other companies as it is typically done.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Are you seeing truckloads of sapphire displays being transported out of the factory? ;)

hah.. well there are a lot of big trucks that go through there as well as many cars. They had to install their own traffic light to get people in/out of the facility.

Catalyx

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2008
Did anyone else see a Mac Classic in this photo at first glance?

gt_sapphire_furnace-250x387.jpg

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007

The point is that a factory producing something has truck traffic going in and out. So, I would expect some trucks.

Also: Why so serious? ;D

Flying Wall E

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
What the ****?

Let's ignore 800 million credit cards, money in excess, innovation and secure authentication methods that are way more convenient than anything else out there, how smartphones are evolving, similar apps that manage just about everything (health, home automation, passport (is that the name of that app?), etc.

Yes, I don't know what crossed my mind.

Let's all just keep paying those transactions to Visa and thank them and national banks for the good they do for humanity.

Now that Apple Pay has been announced, have you been able to figure out yet why saying that Apple should also become a "bank like operation" makes absolutely no sense and just shows that you have no concept of how the world works, how the financial services industry works nor what a bank is?

Do you know what it takes to actually be a bank. Do you know the difference yet between a bank, a credit car provider and a payment method? Between visa and Apple pay and why for Apple Pay to even exist it needs the partnership of Visa, MasterCard, American Express etc? And needed the help and back up of banks such as JP Morgan and many more to be a reality? Do you understand yet what it takes to become a major bank?

Why don't you go ahead and research the basics about the finantial industry? Keywords like: venture capital, investment banks, consumer banks, investors. Go to Wikipedia and just keep clicking the concepts that appear in these pages.

Here is a fun fact: there are no investment banks in Portugal. Try to figure out the difference between a Goldman Sachs and a "millennium bcp" or Espírito Santo.

Once you have the basic understanding of how financial services work try to use your brain and realise how much every single think you do everyday is dependent on them. Why even a huge corporation like Apple needs them on a daily basis. And how many new technologies and companies would not exist without the finantial backing from finantial companies that decided to invest in them.

You know I was born in Portugal too, and my name is also Pedro, but reading your comment history makes me sad to share that with you. So much arrogance, "mania" and general angry superior tone in your posts, and yet such lack of actual logic and rationality, lack of stoping for a minute and trying to find more information and applying some intelligence to it before spitting out whatever comes to your mind.

I hope it is just the common, cliched and typical arrogance and "mania que sabe tudo acerca de tudo" of a 18 or 19 year old intelligent young man that got into one of the top engineering schools of his country (FEUP), just a lack of maturity normal for your age. Because if it is not that and it is an actual lack of intelligence and capability your future will not be so bright as you seen to hope.
So "WTF??" indead, and don't even come with your typical superficial arrogance condescendence. You are talking with someone with an I.Q. that statistically is extremely likely to be 20 or 30 points above yours, even considering that you are probably also 20 or so points above the 100 average value, someone that is started out in applied mathematics in IST before going into economics and international management and all without beying even 10 years older than you.

Have a nice life, try thinking a bit more before resorting to "WTF" and arrogance.
Don't act superior, only average people do that and it just says something about your confidence and atitude, instead try to actually be superior, be better and act intelligently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.