Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a screen protector or think its necessary?

• I use a screen protector

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I don't use a screen protector

Votes: 37 62.7%

• Total voters

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Just wondering if you are using a screen protector on yours or not? I have one ordered but I don't want to wait for it. I have the plastic still on mine and it makes the screen look like crap, but worst of all, it covers the 30pin... So I'm still on the 88% charge from out of the box..

Mine will be in a case.. Not sure if these screens scratch easy or not.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Hell no!! The display is way to gorgeous to put any type of protection on it! It's up to you I know I won't!

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
iPad 1 -no
iPad 2 -no
new iPad -no
No scratches on any of them. Knock on wood.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
I have the Crystal from PowerSupport on order, that's what I had planned on using, FYI.

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Why would you need one? I just use the smart cover. Had the iPad 2 for a year and not one scratch.

chalky40

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Hell no!! The display is way to gorgeous to put any type of protection on it! It's up to you I know I won't!

This... I'll be sorting out a case once I decide but I won't be covering the screen. It would be such a waste of a great display.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You really ought to consider reading some of the MANY other threads on this subject. It's a pretty common question.

Lots of people use their ipads for a long time and never get a scratch on the screen. Some people have the unfortunate happen and end up with a scratched screen. Just search here for examples. Make your OWN decision of protection vs not.

Personally, I use one. A good crystal style won't impact the display; mine looks no different with protector vs without. Note that the wet apply kind like Zagg will f' up the screen, stay away from those. Matte / antiglare will also affect the screen, but thats to be expected. SGP Steinheil Ultra Crystal or Powersupport Crystal are a couple examples of good choices that feel and look like the bare screen.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Getting a zagg through the post tomorrow. Have a tiny hairline scratch on the rear that is only visible at certain angles so its cool.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
The whole thing will be in a case.. So I don't need to worry about scratches in that sense.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
10" iPads can be a bit awkward to carry without a case though, I can see it just for the grippability for carrying around. I have a smart cover (screen only) for my Air, but when I want to carry it somewhere, I use the cover.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
For me a screen protector is a must. I like to keep my devices scratch free. I'd rather see a scratch on my screen protector than the screen itself. :cool:

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I use the smart cover on my retina iPad mini. Screen protector isn't necessary for me because I feel the glass is strong enough for regular usage. It's not like I'm going to scrape a sharp knife over the screen or scratch my keys over it. The cover does its job.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I have had a screen protector on my iPad 2 since the day it became available. I have seen some that are horrible - they have the texture of orange peel - but the one I got from iKit with the carbon case is invisible and has been on for over 3 years.

It has been exposed to everything from heat, cold, sand to grandkids dirty, sticky fingers and all I do is spray some cleaner or soapy water on it and dry it with whatever clean cloth comes to hand.

The biggest problem I had with installation was making sure there was no dust underneath, I washed the screen, dried it and then used compressed air to blow the dust off before lowering the protector onto the screen. It worked, none of those small grains of dust under the film.

enthusiastic

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
I use a matte screen guard since it increases the smoothness of dragging your finger on the screen. No hassles of cleaning fingerprint every 5 minutes.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
First 16 months with my 4S and a year with my iPod touch I had one. Pain in the butt to get on straight and dust free, cases often caused the edges to come up, edges get dirty, and they often degrade screen quality. I took mine off the 4S and loved it. I have gone 20 months without one and my screen is fine.

I did have a matte, anti fingerprint one for a long time and I LOVED the always clean screen, I hate the smudges, but it caused the screen to become grainy.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Nope. I tried putting one on once back when I had my iPad 2 and it was so irritating and impossible that I swore to never try again. My Air screen is like brand new anyways. Just a quick wipe here and there keeps it brand new looking. Good enough for me.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Not a problem here, I don't have any kids using the iPad so it's not a big deal. My iPod touch 5's screen is perfect and I have to charge it 3x daily since I use it so much but it's only used by me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.