Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildernessbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Pender Island, BC, Canada
i'm trying to reinstall mavericks but in the osx utility, (when i finally click on "install") i get a msg that says can't install because the disc is locked. pretty cryptic, doesn't say what disc. what does this meen and what do i do now. i think the os is corrupted so i want to repair it.
wb

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Did you maybe have Filevault encryption turned on? In Disk Util look I believe in the File menu for an Unlock selection.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
it's greyed out, can't select it. i also noticed that another of my machines has encryption turned on, but i don't have the same issue on that one.

What led up to this? It could be the drive is dead.

Is everything backed up so you can wipe the drive? If so, try selecting the drive brand name itself above Macintosh HD and in the erase tab reformat the whole disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

wildernessbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
we are afraid that there might be some malware. we really don't want to do a whole erase and restore, just a reinstall so we don't have to mess with restoring all the user stuff and pref etc. i'll check the drive but it's not showing any signs of failure.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
we are afraid that there might be some malware. we really don't want to do a whole erase and restore, just a reinstall so we don't have to mess with restoring all the user stuff and pref etc. i'll check the drive but it's not showing any signs of failure.

A reinstall without erasing will not fix a malware issue.

Can you still boot back to the normal Mavericks install? Try running this adware scanner and see what it finds. Also look for any new extensions in your browsers.

wildernessbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
thanks, i'll look for the extensions. i was told that if there is malware it would be in the os partition and that a reinstall will write over it. i'll give the adware thing a go too.
wb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.