Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Hi!

We have a small office setup that extends to both sides of our house, left and right, seperated by a big hallway.

Reception with only one TC was very poor so we got another so we can place one on each side of the office. They are both connected with cable on a router/modem and lead to the same network.

Our problem is: we can not roam between them. When i log in on TimeCapsule1 and walk to the other side of the office, my MacBook will be stuck on the TimeCapsule1 (with very poor signal) and will not switch to TimeCapsule2.

We have set both TimeCapsules to CREATE a wifi-network with the same/SSID "Time Capsule BPV". We have them up as following:

TimeCapsule1 uses Channel 12 (2,4Ghz) and 36 (5Ghz)
TimeCapsule2 uses Channel 13 (2,4Ghz) and 40 (5Ghz)

Can anybody help with the setup? Anything we need to consider?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

you must use :

- same SSID
- same security
- same Password

Which I guess is already you have.

As for the channels : use NON-overlapping channels, as 1 and 6, or 6 and 13 in the 2.4 GHz band.
Same thing for the 5 GHz.

Also : test that when being close to TC2, if you disable/enable the Mac's wifi, the Mac connects to the TC2, not to TC1, in order to check that TC2's wifi network actually works and gives Internet access.

Are the two TCs in bridge mode ?

fanta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Hey! Thanks for the quick reply.

We will definately test other channels, that are further apart like the ones you mentioned.

I have tested what happens when logging into TC1 and then going close to TC2 and then disable/enable the macs Wifi: Often it will still stay on TC1, sometimes it will pick TC2. I guess that is because there is some prioritization in the macs settings and the TC1 signal is not "weak" enough to try connecting another TC?

And finally: Yes, both TCs are in bridge mode because we use an external WAN-router.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I have tested what happens when logging into TC1 and then going close to TC2 and then disable/enable the macs Wifi: Often it will still stay on TC1, sometimes it will pick TC2. I guess that is because there is some prioritization in the macs settings and the TC1 signal is not "weak" enough to try connecting another TC?

No, there is no prioritization in the macs settings, in a roaming network the client should automatically connect to the access point it gets the best signal from.

fanta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
it works!

pity i cant pinpoint the culprit now but after changing channels to 1&6 and 36&48 AND after finding out that one TC had "personal wpa" while the other hat "personal wpa/wpa2" it now works perfectly. could it have been the security?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
it works!

pity i cant pinpoint the culprit now but after changing channels to 1&6 and 36&48 AND after finding out that one TC had "personal wpa" while the other hat "personal wpa/wpa2" it now works perfectly. could it have been the security?

You will want to use WPA2 for both.

/Jim

s1lv3r

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
Nice "tutorial".

Soon I'll be doing the same at home and would need some advice. Thats nice that i've found it already ;)

fanta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
A big thank you from me too, its working really nicely now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.