Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmac58

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I've been reading a lot of posts saying Verizon messed up the corporate discount when they pre-ordered their 6's. My account has a 19% discount which I thought only applied to the service and accessories. Can this discount be applied to devices as well?

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I've been reading a lot of posts saying Verizon messed up the corporate discount when they pre-ordered their 6's. My account has a 19% discount which I thought only applied to the service and accessories. Can this discount be applied to devices as well?

Nope, only service and accessories.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012

Probably not. Last I checked (years ago), it included just a few devices, and that was not apple devices.

In fact, I've been told that a corp. disc. doesn't apply to apple branded accessories either.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Verizon Corporate Discount Question

What they messed up was new customers being able to sign up for their corporate discount, so as of now we aren't getting our service discount or our activation fee waived.

They told us to set it up once we activate our new accounts on Friday.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
What they messed up was new customers being able to sign up for their corporate discount, so as of now we aren't getting our service discount or our activation fee waived.

I had a pre-existing discount and it's never waived my activation fee. As far as I know, the monthly service discount is still on my account.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Verizon Corporate Discount Question

I had a pre-existing discount and it's never waived my activation fee. As far as I know, the monthly service discount is still on my account.

Maybe not all discounts apply to the activation fee.

When I was testing it out before pre orders went live, I got a 20% discount on service and the $35 activation fee was waived.

When I pre ordered through the same process, the discount didn't get applied.

Yours may be different.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010

I don't know if that is entirely true, I mean they technically don't activate your new contract until you received your new phone (or the first of however many you ordered). So I think it's a bit too early to say that they are not giving you the service discount. As far as I can see, it still says that I have 19% discount every time I logged into my account.

Now for the activation fee, if you upgraded and if you look at your bill. It's actually not called "activation fee", it's called upgrade fee. I called to ask about that, and I was told that I DO get activation fee waived but that's only for a new line (hence the word "activation") and it has nothing to do with the upgrade fee. So it look like I won't be getting my upgrade fee waived.

I think every company has different agreements with Verizon. So it's probably best not to assume that you will have "activation/upgrade fee" waived just because somebody else on the forum has the same benefit.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I don't know if that is entirely true, I mean they technically don't activate your new contract until you received your new phone (or the first of however many you ordered). So I think it's a bit too early to say that they are not giving you the service discount. As far as I can see, it still says that I have 19% discount every time I logged into my account.

Now for the activation fee, if you upgraded and if you look at your bill. It's actually not called "activation fee", it's called upgrade fee. I called to ask about that, and I was told that I DO get activation fee waived but that's only for a new line (hence the word "activation") and it has nothing to do with the upgrade fee. So it look like I won't be getting my upgrade fee waived.

I think every company has different agreements with Verizon. So it's probably best not to assume that you will have "activation/upgrade fee" waived just because somebody else on the forum has the same benefit.

I checked what my benefits were. It worked before pre orders went live.

It didn't work after.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I checked what my benefits were. It worked before pre orders went live.

It didn't work after.

Actually it was the same for me when I did the test run. Now, I just remembered there might be another category that some of you might fall into. She mentioned that since this is a pre-order and not a direct sale, they will have to charge the $30 in advance. However, if you do have this particular benefit, you can always call back and ask them to take it off from your account.

I do plan to call them again anyways, I have 8 lines and I've been with them for a long time. I'm fine with their higher than normal monthly rate, but I'd rather not have to pay for the stupid activation/upgrade fee.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Maybe not all discounts apply to the activation fee.

When I was testing it out before pre orders went live, I got a 20% discount on service and the $35 activation fee was waived.

When I pre ordered through the same process, the discount didn't get applied.

Yours may be different.

Yeah, I don't know. I don't balk about it too much cause 23% off is not too shabby IMO. I get that off of accessories (like cases and screen protectors) which makes them more affordable than ordering online.... So it all works out!

bigmac58

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks everyone for the replies. Clears it up for me. I wasn't sure if I needed to contact them about the discount. Looks like I'm all taken care of.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
What happened was a lot of us that tried to order from Verizon on Friday were getting an EPCD error. When I called Verizon and talked to the rep, they said they were having issues with taking orders from those with corporate discounts. So I wouldn't worry about it, that error only lasted a little while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.