Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
So far being able to pre-order from them has been poop!!!

Don't mind the carriers... Apple is late to the party themselves!!!

I am switching from ATT to Tmobile too and I can't use the Apple store app to do it because they can only upgrade your phone via the app but you can't access the full apple website!

mademan118

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
i thought you and to go through T-Mobile to get the financing? I can't believe apple is still down also. Guess the switch that needed to be flipped is broken.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Here is what we are doing.

1) Preordering from t-mobile website but NOT porting AT&T Numbers. The T-Mobile rep on the phone said we can port at a later time.

2) Once phones are received, we are piloting the t-mobile service. We did it once before, along with my brother and tons of friends having t-mobile.

3) Once satisfied, we are porting numbers.

Now here is the trick with switching to t-mobile, getting all the good deals, and keeping your cell service working until you get your new I6+:

1) You can go to the t-mobile store tomorrow and preorder. Pretty simple explanation.

2) Pre-Order online. However, if you port your number, your service deactivates right away. You can port at a later time. However, the rep on the phone said that once you get your new iPhone 6's, you can take it down to the store and return and resign up for the phones to get the ETF paid and Device trade in credit. He is unsure if you can get the ETF Credit and device trade in. Also you can do a Deferred Device Trade in and send in a device at a later date.

Note: I have not confirmed this, but the rep said that you can trade in ANY working phone with an IMEI number and get your ETF fee paid. He instructed me to go to Walmart and get a cheap pay per use phone, trade that in, and keep my iPhone 5. Crazy.

We will be doing #2.

We will be saving so much money on our phones. We talk a lot on our phones, but at home. We use our phones more as media devices. Games, Web surfing, Reading, Texting, Skype, Calendar, Working out, etc. T-Mobile is great for that.
so why would you return the phones and resign up again in your #2 option? i'm doing the switch from att->tmobile, also, and wondering what is the best way to do that...

mlaw8

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
I have the same thoughts. Has anyone identified a cheap phone to pick up (either in a local store or eBay) to trade in?

Thanks

Cancelled
May 30, 2007
Long time ATT user with an upgrade option, and I'm currently weighing my options.

Right now I have unlimited data grandfathered with 200 texts and a 20% work discount. I hit about $70 a month and use almost nothing in voice, 180 in texts and 50GB-100GB throttled on ATT. (This is my only internet line.)

Northeastern Ohio has roughly equal coverage in ATT & T-Mobile networks. What kind of throttling should I expect: EDGE? I see the $50 unlimited everything LTE, but that's horsecrap...

I could sell the ATT line with the upgrade and number, online to someone, and use it to fund the iPhone 6 128. Or port the number from ATT and take advantage of an offer? I believe there's a trade in special, but only for iPhones, since I'm using a Nexus 5, currently...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Long time ATT user with an upgrade option, and I'm currently weighing my options.

Right now I have unlimited data grandfathered with 200 texts and a 20% work discount. I hit about $70 a month and use almost nothing in voice, 180 in texts and 50GB-100GB throttled on ATT. (This is my only internet line.)

Northeastern Ohio has roughly equal coverage in ATT & T-Mobile networks. What kind of throttling should I expect: EDGE? I see the $50 unlimited everything LTE, but that's horsecrap...

$50 - throttled after 1GB
$60 - throttled after 3GB
$70 - throttled after 5GB
$80 - Fully unlimited LTE, no throttling

y0itzflip

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
If T-Mobile offers comparable service to AT&T or Verizon in your area then it's always better to go with them. Cheaper and more perks. For some they are not able to go to T-Mobile due to coverage.

this. my girl made the change but im sure she is going to be dissatisfied with the service coming from ATT. thank god for buyers remorse.

Cancelled
May 30, 2007
I used 18gb last month, no slowing down.

Huh. T-mobile doesn't do corporate discounts any more though, correct? My work discount is my last hurdle.

----------

Why not? There are plenty of people using nearly 100GB per month. I used 77GB a few months ago. Was never throttled. I average 15-25GB per month.

I'm not actually used to Mobile carriers actually saying and doing things like honoring their terms of service and words.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Huh. T-mobile doesn't do corporate discounts any more though, correct? My work discount is my last hurdle.

----------

I'm not actually used to Mobile carriers actually saying and doing things like honoring their terms of service and words.

I don't think they do corporate discounts anymore.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

----------

No they just got rid of the discounts a few months ago I believe.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
If you have good reception in your area go for it but in the SF Bay Area the service is horrible. I wouldn't switch to TMobile if they gave it to me for free.

Just my opinion.

Hmmm, this coming from someone who's not a T-Mobile customer?

I live in the SF Bay Area as well, and the service has generally been great in the areas I frequent. Just now, inside an office building, I'm getting four bars, LTE coverage, with 19.8 Mbps download and 19.7 Mbps upload. Not bad for "horrible" service. :cool:

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
I don't get the negativity in this thread. T-Mobile has a test drive program so just go test out the network.

For many people, Nationwide research means absolutely nothing because you spend most of your daily routine around the same area unless you have to travel around the country but then again if your job requires you to travel around the country, you probably have some sort of work phone with VZ or ATT but I digress.

Some people just have to prove that they're the smartest person in the room by crapping on someone else's parade.

I've been telling people on the fence to just give the test drive a whirl. If the network proves robust enough for their everyday routines, then T-Mobile's a viable option. If the network has gaps in their area, then it's not. No commitments, no financial outlays, no harm done.

It's pretty well known that T-Mobile's network coverage is lousy in the outlying and rural areas. In my case, that amounts to less than 2% of my travels. The other 98% of the time, the service has been fine.

I'm on the $30 prepaid plan with 5GB of high-speed data. I bought an unlocked phone so that I would retain the option to switch providers if T-Mobile turned out to be as horrible as some proclaim. One year later, I'm still on the same plan. Just in the last few months, T-Mobile has added tethering and unlimited music streaming. Nice to see them acting like they want to keep me as a customer.

Based on my usage, I would pay $80-$95 per month on Verizon after counting their data overage charges. I don't need to move over to a far more expensive plan just so I can fill in that 2% of the time when I'm traveling through a dead zone. For those that do, T-Mobile is not for them, and I'm okay with that!

It just amuses me how insistent others get when feeling the need to challenge someone else's priorities and first hand experience.

Cancelled
May 30, 2007
Some people just have to prove that they're the smartest person in the room by crapping on someone else's parade.

I've been telling people on the fence to just give the test drive a whirl. If the network proves robust enough for their everyday routines, then T-Mobile's a viable option. If the network has gaps in their area, then it's not. No commitments, no financial outlays, no harm done.

It's pretty well known that T-Mobile's network coverage is lousy in the outlying and rural areas. In my case, that amounts to less than 2% of my travels. The other 98% of the time, the service has been fine.

I'm on the $30 prepaid plan with 5GB of high-speed data. I bought an unlocked phone so that I would retain the option to switch providers if T-Mobile turned out to be as horrible as some proclaim. One year later, I'm still on the same plan. Just in the last few months, T-Mobile has added tethering and unlimited music streaming. Nice to see them acting like they want to keep me as a customer.

Based on my usage, I would pay $80-$95 per month on Verizon after counting their data overage charges. I don't need to move over to a far more expensive plan just so I can fill in that 2% of the time when I'm traveling through a dead zone. For those that do, T-Mobile is not for them, and I'm okay with that!

It just amuses me how insistent others get when feeling the need to challenge someone else's priorities and first hand experience.

Questions: When you go over the 5GB limit? What do you get dropped back to? EDGE? How slow is it? I've long coveted the $30 unlimited prepaid plan. It's basically what I'm using now on my ATT grandfathered unlimited plan. I pay $30 more, 5GB LTE, unlimited 2G for the rest of the month. It's slow, but usable.

What I really need is a website I can list my ATT plan on besides eBay. I'm sure this line, wih my upgrade, is worth something to someone.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Questions: When you go over the 5GB limit? What do you get dropped back to? EDGE? How slow is it? I've long coveted the $30 unlimited prepaid plan. It's basically what I'm using now on my ATT grandfathered unlimited plan. I pay $30 more, 5GB LTE, unlimited 2G for the rest of the month. It's slow, but usable.

What I really need is a website I can list my ATT plan on besides eBay. I'm sure this line, wih my upgrade, is worth something to someone.

You stay connected to whatever's the fastest connection type in your area. Speeds are typically throttled to 128Kbps or below. If you're on LTE, browsing the web and loading your Twitter timeline isn't that bad since the latency is pretty low.

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
been with att/cingular/att since 2002. grandfathered unlimited data since the 1st iPhone. paying $170 (including taxes and discount) for 2 lines. moved to tmo, now with 3 lines and availed of corporate discount 1 month before they removed it, and i'm only paying $140 (taxes and discounts included).

great signal where i live and to most places i go to, except at my part time job (2 days/week) which is quite understandable as it's located in the boondocks.

overall, i'm happy with tmo. never have to worry about those over 5GB texts informing me that i'm being throttled. hopefully they'll fast track all the EDGE areas to LTE.

ELPresidente720

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Switched from Sprint last night, even though it slowed down my receipt of the new 6.

Personally I've had only occasional minor inconveniences with Sprint over the past 3 years (random dropped calls, crappy reception at work, unreceived texts a few times, not the fastest data) but the price has been decent and overall I'm reasonably satisfied. However, T-Mobile is cheaper, faster, and better by every metric in Dallas/Fort Worth and T-Mobile definitely incentivizes switching over and breaking my current contract. Sprint does have the iPhone for Life plan now that's cheaper over all, but I really don't like the idea of leasing a phone and being locked in to Sprint for another two years (cancelation would call for all remaining payments plus $200 up front). Unlimited 4G data would be nice to have for "free", but 99% of the time I'm on wifi... I've used something like 10 GB in the past year or so.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Well we made the switch, but it has been anything but smooth. First, waited up to get our phones ordered. Living in Hawaii, it was only 9:01pm for us. Didn't get my order in until 4:20am PDT (1:20am HST). So far we have not been charged but we have no idea when the phones will be here.

I am not concerned with coverage as I live on an island. Where one carrier is bad, all are usually bad. The only difference is Verizon. I know they actively listen to customer complaints regarding bad cell service and address it (Story: Fiber internet guy moved to HI from AZ. Had crap service with Verizon in new area. Called and complained. VZ sent out 3 techs to verify crappy service. Installed new cell tower/antenna in his area. 5 bars now.)

Main reason for leaving AT&T:

-Price. Costs to much for what we get

-Minutes. We never talked much before, but now we are talking more due to work and we went over our minutes. Told we can change plan, but have to lose unlimited data.

-Throttling. I would pay more to NOT be throttled, which is what I am doing with t-mobile. Plus, with the unlimited LTE, you get 5gb of tethering included.

-Coverage. BeLieve it or not, but my AT&T sucks at my house. If t-mobile is going to suck here also fine. But I know for a fact that it works fine in other places that I frequent the most.

The only reason I will not switch is because of this whole pre-order crap and Jump customers getting put first.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I would LOVE to switch (back) to TMo. I was with them for years, first as Voicestream, then as TMo when VS got acquired. Fantastic customer service, fantastic plans and international plans/policies, etc.

However, I switched to ATT in the early iPhone days. Had to have one, and the constant jailbreak/unlock cycle to use it on TMo was wearing me down (it crapped out on me in a sort of emergency; I switched to ATT on the spot).

ATT has been "okay" in the grand scheme of things, but their international stuff still absolutely stinks. Unfortunately, TMo coverage in and around my home is very bad. I know wifi calling will solve the in-home issue, but not the out-and-about issue.

I have a TMo iPad (purchased bc of the 200MB free data every month, something that comes in extremely handy when I don't want to fire up a hotspot on my phone) so I know all too well. Lots of 2G (!!!) and No Service. Couldn't deal with that on my phone. NFW. Fire up a tower near me? All over it. Until then...

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Just switched from ATT last Thursday. Very happy with my Tmo service in the Dallas area. Bars comparable to what I was getting with ATT, speeds better. But the kicker for me is the voice over Wifi in IOS 8 (gold master). I used to barely be able to have a conversation on my cell phone in my house...with the wifi calling that problem has completely disappeared. I've also noticed that my battery life is much better now and I'm wondering if that's because it doesn't have to hunt for signal in my house anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.