Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josher747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
So I sold my iPhone 5, and planned on shipping it today and buying a cheap gophone to use while I waited for Friday.

I went to the ATT store and was told since I'm "stuck" in the upgrade process, I can't transfer my service to a new SIM card unless it's the same size (which only the iphone is that size). I've never had an issue with past upgrades doing this so I'm kinda confused, and now am without a phone for 4+ days. Anyone else having this issue with ATT?

ineel

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
So I sold my iPhone 5, and planned on shipping it today and buying a cheap gophone to use while I waited for Friday.

I went to the ATT store and was told since I'm "stuck" in the upgrade process, I can't transfer my service to a new SIM card unless it's the same size (which only the iphone is that size). I've never had an issue with past upgrades doing this so I'm kinda confused, and now am without a phone for 4+ days. Anyone else having this issue with ATT?

They are supposed to give you a new SIM card at your request. Did you go to some authorized retailer or a corporate at&t store? Usually its no problem getting a new sim card. Weird.

lzyhebe

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014

You might be able to put your current nano-sim with an adaptor into the cheap phone.

josher747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I went to two different Corporate stores. Both came up with an error message saying "Unable to change device, currently in upgrade process" or something.

The phone reps tell me it doesn't matter, and I can do whatever I want with my plan and phone. But the stores won't budge. Ugh.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I went to two different Corporate stores. Both came up with an error message saying "Unable to change device, currently in upgrade process" or something.

The phone reps tell me it doesn't matter, and I can do whatever I want with my plan and phone. But the stores won't budge. Ugh.

I don't know why they are getting that message unless they are trying to put the GoPhone in their system as an upgrade. I've done this before and never had an issue with it. Try a third party store like Target or BestBuy who handle GoPhones. Maybe they can resolve this for you while you wait for your new iPhone to arrive.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Why are you bothering going to stores or calling people?

Purchase GoPhone (or any GSM phone actually) from anywhere, insert your SIM with SIM adapter, use GoPhone

Vesian

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
I'm in the same boat as you right now, had to ship off my 5 on Saturday to meet the shipping deadline. What I did was bust out this little guy and put my nano sim into it using an adapter.

Apple-iPhone-3G-Specs.jpg

Works just fine, a tad bit slow though... Just needs to tide me over a few weeks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.