Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Do you understand what analogies are? It's not the case of what they can afford, its what they want.

Do you want a crappy one bedroom studio compared to a nice house? do you want a cheap 89 honda accord compared to any modern car model?

i know there isn't a 128GB phone model. I'm a developer i would know, the whole case was why would anyone not want it?

at this day an age how can you assume nobody needs more than 16GB, are you serious?

im not even talking about "oversized apps" you download bunch of apps you can use for just streaming, work (editing files, accounting, etc etc), and your personal pictures and videos. those alone would be enough just fill your 16GB phone.

first of all i just dont like people that come off like that, people should think with a broader mind.

rather than, "this fits me, nobody else needs it". the fact that he can fathom that to me is ridiculous.

what have i said that was arrogant? everything I've said is with a broad mind.

i never said nobody has a use for 16GB because its so small. i was just appalled by the fact that he thinks that nobody needs more than 16GB.

I'm well aware of what analogies are. Along with metaphors and similes, I use them frequently but that's not the point. I'm also aware of what flawed analogies are and to me that's what they were. That, just like everything else on these boards, is an opinion only. It might differ from yours or someone else's but it doesn't make it any less valid. A lot of people want what best fits their needs, not just the biggest and best. People are different.

If you don't have the requirements for a 128GB phone I can see that it's possible you'd want to ask why anyone would want one. If it's explained in a logical way rather than a beat down, maybe they'll come to your way of thinking. I'm using 'your' here as a catch all for anyone who holds the opposite opinion to someone else, not just aiming at you.

His original post:
I registered just to ask this:

Why do you need a mobile phone with 128GB of space? I got 16GB and im not getting over 12GB in total.
2-3GB Spotify, then tons of photos, and games.

To me he doesn't come off like anything, and I don't think he was saying nobody needs more than 16GB just that he so far hasn't and can't see why anyone would. He might be willing to listen to a reasoned discussion about it and admit that, OK you have a point. Maybe it's one of those situations where the original point can be read either way.

As for me, I don't think I ever said nobody needs more than 16GB. My point was, and remains, that it might still be suitable for certain use cases. In fact a friend of mine has a 16GB and hasn't come close to filling it. It fits his use needs perfectly.

The arrogance I referred to from you was more in the tone than anything else, because anyone who argues a point using terms like "ridiculous" or "arrogant fools" or in your last post "are you serious" can be seen as coming over as arrogantly as the person against whom they're arguing the point. That's the problem with the typed word - no context, and potentially (and easily) misinterpreted.

I'm as broad minded as the next bloke personally. As I said I'd like to see a 128GB model this next go round. I doubt it would fit my use case but I can see an argument for it. I've never taken a lot of photos with my phone. I have a camera for that. A good one. I use the phone for quick snaps of various family gatherings and to use as a GPS locator for geotagging my other photos.

I'm happy to get into a conversation with you about the usage of the phone for storing photos and videos and how that may or not require smaller or larger storage with iOS 8 and the new Photo app but that's outside the scope of this thread somewhat.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Some people do. Lots of music, lots of videos. And lots of apps. It's not unusual for iOS apps to be larger than 2GB these days. Also, videos these days are taking up more storage due higher quality. Plus there's always the element of 'better safe than sorry'.

Not everbody needs to play silly games weighing more than 2 GBs on their phone, or to "watch" movies on a screen so tiny that it is against any decency to even attempt that.
"These days" everyone has a fast internet connection, and can access any cloud service one might be interested to. :rolleyes:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Personally, I can see this model line up for the iPhone, with sales starting on September 26, 2014:

iPhone 5C -- now with iPhone 5S innards (including Touch ID sensor) in 16 and 32 GB models. Available in the same color cases as the current iPhone 5C.

iPhone 6 --available in these versions:

4.7" model -- 32 and 64 GB RAM
5.5" model -- 32, 64 and 128 GB RAM

Case colors will be white, slate grey and champagne gold.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Personally, I can see this model line up for the iPhone, with sales starting on September 26, 2014:

iPhone 5C -- now with iPhone 5S innards (including Touch ID sensor) in 16 and 32 GB models. Available in the same color cases as the current iPhone 5C.

Definitely won't come with 64 or 128GB of RAM... :D

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
they could put out a 1TB iphone and people would still find ways to fill that up..

And someone would still complain that his music library is 2TB and he's not bying before Apple makes 22" iPhone with 16TB storage and 24 year battery life, food replicator and integrated snowshoes. And it must be less than three hydrogen atoms thick and available in color range only visible to aliens from gamma quadrant.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
And someone would still complain that his music library is 2TB and he's not bying before Apple makes 22" iPhone with 16TB storage and 24 year battery life, food replicator and integrated snowshoes. And it must be less than three hydrogen atoms thick and available in color range only visible to aliens from gamma quadrant.

That's it, I'm waiting for this one!

Hillestadk

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
I am just a little aggravated at the release date of the new iPhone. I religiously upgrade every 2 years with AT&T. My upgrade will be 2 days after the release and I'm sure they won't budge on my upgrade date. Just aggravate that it will probably take weeks to get once I'm eligible. :-/

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Identical phones?

Does anyone else think that the two different sized iPhones will be identical? Case in point is the iPad Air and the iPad rMini. That has been a successful venture for Apple having both of them the very same, hasn't it?
In spite of all the hype that we have been reading, I'm thinking they may both be identical phones, what say you?

Last edited:

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Does anyone else think that the two different sized iPhones will be identical? Case in point is the iPad Air and the iPad rMini. That has been a successful venture for Apple having both of them the very same, hasn't it?
In spite of all the hype that we have been reading, I'm thinking they may both be identical phones, what say you?

Isn't this what everyone assumes?

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Many, many years ago we were purchasing our first home computer. We had a choice of 4 mb of storage or 8 mb storage (yes, that's mb not gb). I argued for the 8 and my husband (we were buying it for his PhD project involving rather complicated fractal computations) insisted we would NEVER need more than 4 mb. Lol, I now have over 2T in hard drives. And I'm thinking of getting another. Full of music, videos, pics, important docs. All collected over the last 20 years or so. None of which I want to get rid of.

Personally I always buy the max storage, my husband? Still opts for the minimum. Different people have different needs/perspectives. All are valid for that individual. Not worth getting into verbal wars over.

jarofclay73

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii

I'm thinking you will probably be able to buy the 16/32GB iPhone 5S for $99 on contract. That's a lot of SKUs but even the iPod lineup had to diversify.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
64gb is my sweet spot.

I don't tend to have much music but do load up on movies. Also apps seem to be getting bigger, especially games.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

I've thought this for a while-iPhone Air (4.7") & iPhone Pro (5.5") anyone?

lelex

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Quick question for those on family plans. My mom has a basic flip phone that she's had for about four years, but now she's thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 6. I have the 5c. Basically we want to add another line and we want to go with a family plan for me and her. Does anyone know how this works and how much it would cost monthly for two iphone lines?

l3it3r

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
For what? I travel a lot for work and have half of my 16 GB still free.

Not trying to be snarky, I just don't understand why you'd put so much on a phone.

Unbelievably late reply to your question: I travel 80%+ of the year. My phone has all my photos, apps, music, movies, etc. For the past 3 iterations of the iPhone, I've had the 64GB versions. I was usually running with about 1-2 GB free at any given time. Now with my 128GB 6 Plus, I've got about 50GB Free :cool:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Unbelievably late reply to your question: I travel 80%+ of the year. My phone has all my photos, apps, music, movies, etc. For the past 3 iterations of the iPhone, I've had the 64GB versions. I was usually running with about 1-2 GB free at any given time. Now with my 128GB 6 Plus, I've got about 50GB Free :cool:

My iTunes Music Library is about 150GB. Add videos and movies, Apps and any photos or videos to be recorded while away from home I need a 1TB iPhone.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003

Eminently reasonable. I travel extensively, but always have my MBP and so keep everything on it.

Thanks for explaining - that makes more sense. I don't put movies, etc., on my phone - a bit small for me to watch!

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
I travel 80%+ of the year. My phone has all my photos, apps, music, movies, etc. For the past 3 iterations of the iPhone, I've had the 64GB versions. I was usually running with about 1-2 GB free at any given time. Now with my 128GB 6 Plus, I've got about 50GB Free :cool:
Seconded. The "out of space" warnings were tiring on my 64gb...

check your voice memos though

Some of my voice memos were duplicated 5 times. (I still can't un-delete them. iTunes syncs them right back after I delete them)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.