Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Apparently it's write once memory, it requires special software and can only put the serial number in after service. You cannot change an existing serial number only a blank one.

mylife

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Explain how!

Rockford, you claim that you know how to continuously re-serialize any computer, well i would like to do that to a macbook air so how about you explain in detail to us how? along with any links for software that might be needed. everyone seems to be asking but you don't seem to be giving an actual answer. thank you.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Rockford, you claim that you know how to continuously re-serialize any computer, well i would like to do that to a macbook air so how about you explain in detail to us how? along with any links for software that might be needed. everyone seems to be asking but you don't seem to be giving an actual answer. thank you.

I think the OP's gone, it's been a year already. More like he's one of those that rhymes with scroll.

Reactions: ABC5S

mylife

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Serial Number Change...

so has anyone figured out yet how to change the serial number on a mac? if so, please post and explain how in detail. thank you.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
So it's not possible to change the serial number? I ask as I sold my MBA on eBay and the buyer is saying the battery doesn't even last an hour (it last a good 7-8hrs last week).

I'm assuming changing the serial number is the only way they could fob me off with a different Mac therefore keeping my one and getting rid of their duff one.

my_life

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
That software can only be used to set a blank logicboard's serial number. It will not change a logicboard's serial number if one is already set.

I bought a second hand iphone 5 and it was tested where i bought it, it worked perfectly and i also used it for a week and some days before it developed serious issue. Started by showing sim not registered, when i took it to apple service center i was embarrassed when they told me the phone i brought could not be found on apple server, they said it has already been replaced to someone. I wiped it and it started showing connect to itune. I downloaded itune but whenever it get to serial number stage is showing n/a means the phone has been disconnected from apple server. The question is can i bring this phone back to life?

[MOD NOTE]
I changed the case of the post, all caps is akin to yelling

Last edited by a moderator:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The blank board serializer cannot be shared as it is an internal copyrighted program that is only to be used by AASPs.

MaegaNetwork

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
The blank board serializer cannot be shared as it is an internal copyrighted program that is only to be used by AASPs.

True, but it doesn't need to be shared. Anyone with an Apple ID can get it from GSX without being an AASP.
I won't give any links but if you attempt to login to GSX with a regular Apple ID, then use a direct link to a GSX web server you'll have access to all versions of AST and BBS despite being declined login to GSX. You'll still have an authentication cookie though so for as long as Apple don't fix the bug you'll be able to download Blank Board Serialiser and other "internal" Apple software.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That loophole doesn't work anymore. Apple recently redid the back end of GSX making it not possible to browse the back end files. If attempted, you'll be redirected to the GSX login page.

Emerson73

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2016
what next?
Where can I find this software Rockford18?
I replaced the motherboard of my mom's old iMac 2006. Bought it on eBay.
Everything works fine, but it doesn't have a serial number... it says unknown...
I'd like to "re-serialize" it to the original s/n.
So, if I could use your software it would be great!
Thanks in advance,
Emerson.

reverendalc

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
FWIW, i know this thread is old...

but there are many ways to change the serial# including apple's blank board serializer and more.

the problem being, most of these tools only change the ASCII string in the EEPROM.

the serial is stored in plain text, but there's also a hash calculated from that serial.

if you change the serial, system profiler will display the new serial, but AHT (apple hardware test) will report unknown serial, and apple servers will still identify the mac by its original serial.

it's totally possible to monkey with the serial, over and over again... although there's no real benefit

curiousapple

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2017
you can change the SN many times you want, i already tested

If I change the serial number will it show up on the Apple warranty site? I want to bring a MacBook Pro and iPhone to a friend in South America but I want to change the serial number to avoid the outrageous taxes they charge. It can be any serial number so long as it shows the device being at least 6 months old. How would I do this?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If I change the serial number will it show up on the Apple warranty site? I want to bring a MacBook Pro and iPhone to a friend in South America but I want to change the serial number to avoid the outrageous taxes they charge. It can be any serial number so long as it shows the device being at least 6 months old. How would I do this?

I do believe the TOS you agreed to when you joined call out illegal activities as taboo topics for discussion, this would count there.

curiousapple

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2017
I do believe the TOS you agreed to when you joined call out illegal activities as taboo topics for discussion, this would count there.

Avoiding taxes on these products for a foreign country is very normal in most places. Even in Europe people find ways to sneak items through. Besides this voids the warranty so they take a big hit on that. It would be different if these were stolen. Instead this is to save a friend a lot of money which would otherwise go to a crooked government or customs official.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Closing down this thread as trying to commit fraud steps over the line of getting help here at MacRumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.