Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Here is a mac version of the Intel Power App, for the ppl on the nMP, that is the speed your cpu is working at ? you can try different work flow and see the turboboost that your CPU can hit.

I'm interested to find out when it is all maxed out in processing (like a multiple instance Compressor export) what's the constant clock speed that it limits itself to.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Here is a mac version of the Intel Power App, for the ppl on the nMP, that is the speed your cpu is working at ? you can try different work flow and see the turboboost that your CPU can hit.

I'm interested to find out when it is all maxed out in processing (like a multiple instance Compressor export) what's the constant clock speed that it limits itself to.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Here's a thread on this subject from back when I got my nMP...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1694931/

Conclusion was that you will not reach the top turbo speed for your CPU because it requires shutting cores down into C3/C6 sleep which is not supported by some BIOS/EFI firmware (e.g. Apple nMP).

Last edited:

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Hi, from your screen shot, seems like the best CPU is the 8 core 3.3. hits all the high notes all the way up to 8 cores.

There is also a 10 core 3.0, I wonder how that processor performs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 9-1.46.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 9-1.46.57 PM.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 388

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hi, from your screen shot, seems like the best CPU is the 8 core 3.3. hits all the high notes all the way up to 8 cores.

There is also a 10 core 3.0, I wonder how that processor performs.

Yeah, except the two CPUs in red are not offered in the nMP. You could possibly do an upgrade on your own though, or I believe OWC is doing upgrades (including the 10-core) but they're not cheap.

The sweet spot this generation is definitely the 6-core... Best bang for the buck.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^The Nmp uses Xeons. It's the Dual Xeons that it doesn't like.

Lou

Attachments

• PowerGadget.jpg
    PowerGadget.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 106

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Well it doesn't like mine either, and I have a single Xeon W3670.
The app only works for 2nd generation Core processors and later as stated, which means Sandy Bridge and later generations, and your CPU is not in that group. Since Apple only make single-processor Macs with these processors, including nMPs, it really doesn't matter the app only works for single-processor Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.