Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarwiz23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Thinking about grabbing one so that I can charge my iPad mini, iPhone 6+. and battery pack all at the same time if necessary. Also so when my girlfriend comes over she doesn't unplug my stuff to plug hers in.

Are these safe for iPhone/iPad charging? I know the stock apple charger would be the optimal choice, but what are the chances of me damaging my expensive stuff by using this?

Also, as a side question, does it get hot? Would it be okay to stick some velcro to it and stick it to the back side of a nightstand?

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I have one and LOVE it. I can charge 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and have room for 1 other microusb device nightly. Never gets hot or misses a beat. It's probably the best value accessory I have ever bought.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I have one and LOVE it. I can charge 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and have room for 1 other microusb device nightly. Never gets hot or misses a beat. It's probably the best value accessory I have ever bought.

I was considering this accessory also and it has good reviews on Amazon. Good to know you endorse as well.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I have the 40 W version. I've been using it for over four months. He has never failed me. I charged my iPad air, iPhone 5, and iPod touch 5. I also charge many battery packs using the charger. I recommend it!

Heres a copy of my review I posted on amazon last December:
The Anker 40W 5V/8A 5-Port USB wall charger is one of the most powerful wall chargers I have ever received.

Pros:
-8 amps of output power to the USB's
-5 USB ports (all 5 USB ports share the 8 amps of output power)
-Each USB port has a max output of 8 amps
-The USB ports are "Smart Ports" which adjust to how much power the device needs to charge at max speed
-Small and portable (size of a deck of card)
-Uses a 5ft power cord that allows the user to put the wall charger to a desired location
-Great for international use by using AC 100-240v input voltage
-Has overvoltage, overcurrent, overheating and short circuits protection
-Can charge and iPad Air, iPad 1, iPad 2 and iPad 3 each at 2 amps
-Can charge 5 tablets at once but is recommend for an overnight charge because the tablets are not charging at full speed
-Works with all USB chargeable phones, tablets and other USB chargeable devices
-No annoying LED status light
-Ideal for a family/person who has many tablets and smartphones (I have an iPad Air, iPhone 5 and an iPod touch 5 that works great with this wall charger)
-Makes an excellent gift
-Looks great
-Excellent price
-Well designed
-Very high quality construction
-18 month warranty
-UL listed (updated version!)

No cons found!

My wishes to make this product perfect:
-Make the max output 12 amps so 5 tablets, like an iPad, can charge at full speed at 2.4 amps
-Add micro suction on one side so I can stick it to my night stand

This is a very powerful and well-designed wall charger and I highly recommend it.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

I'll second that! :D

Fantastic piece of kit-OP, don't hesitate, just get one.

I'm using mine in Jamaica at he mo!

Before we came away, I took the UK power lead off and dug out my (bought in the US) lead that came with my Apple TV).

Sorted. :cool:

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
have 40W version too. Echo same positives as above. My only wish is for an integrated folding plug.

guitarwiz23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
have 40W version too. Echo same positives as above. My only wish is for an integrated folding plug.

Really? I think I have decided to get it, but i think this would be annoying having a folding plug I like how it has a cable.

I am looking to run mine off of a Belkin timer (it has a slider for .5, 3, or 6 hours and you press a button to start it and it shuts off when finished, runs around $10) to prevent overcharging of my devices as I usually charge while I sleep.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Really? I think I have decided to get it, but i think this would be annoying having a folding plug I like how it has a cable.

I am looking to run mine off of a Belkin timer (it has a slider for .5, 3, or 6 hours and you press a button to start it and it shuts off when finished, runs around $10) to prevent overcharging of my devices as I usually charge while I sleep.

I thought that the charger does that for you?

guitarwiz23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011

guitarwiz23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Comes in handy for traveling.

I still feel like I would prefer a cable even for traveling! I guess it all comes down to personal opinion, if it was built in you wouldn't have to worry about forgetting it and it takes up less space, but I feel like most of the hotels I have been in have the charger behind the nightstand and I think it would be raise rot just plug it in and set the whole thing on the stand and be able to plug in any devices without having to go back behind it.

BlueSpruce

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
NY
We love ours! I use it just for an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4s currently, but when we went on vacation to the UK this summer we used it for two iPad minis, two iPhone 4s devices, and the iPad 2. No problems. I also think it turns off once the devices are charged because it cools off.

We bought it to keep all of our devices charged through airport travel, and couldn't have been more pleased. I wish the Amazon US store would sell the UK plug cord separately, like the UK does with the US plug. We ended up using a power converter.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I can't speak to that specific product but I have an Anker battery and it's really good, so it seems like a quality company to buy from

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I have one, and it's been fine so far, but the quality control could be better.

I recommended it to someone, and theirs arrived with a few of the ports DOA.

DOA, or after usage, it's not an uncommon complaint.

Anker support is good, but I'd rather not have to use it.

One other nitpick -- the USB ports are upside down, and don't conform to the proper orientation ("label side up").

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I have one by my nightstand so one plug can charge my phone, ipad, Kobo reader, and anything else that comes along. Highly recommended!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.