Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
Basically I'm adding a new line to get the iPhone 6, but my termination fee for my tablet's line was $160, so I'm trying to save a little bit here and there. If I get the 16GB iPhone 6, that's $216 with tax, but I get the activation fee waived. $216+$160 = $376.

I sold my LG G2 for $245, so that helps towards the iPhone.

Now that I got that out of the way:

Here's the actual question: iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S users/sellers, did you notice a large difference in resale value between the 16GB and 32GB/64GB? I ask because if I get the iPhone 6 16GB, I don't want the resale next year to be $375>, as then early upgrading to the iPhone 6S/7 will cost me more out of pocket.

However, if the difference in resale wasn't that bad I may go for the 16GB after all.

Hypothesis: I'm also worried that since it's 16GB, 64GB, and 128GB secondhand/used buyers next year might only go for 64GB and 128GB, after all the people buying 16GB likely would want a substantial savings right? I am unsure.

Please only answer if you actually sold a iPhone 5/5S and can say how your device fared on eBay/Swappa/Craigslist etc. Then once a few people respond I'll compare how much you got.

Sorry if this thread is similar to another on here, if so, please redirect me to that thread and the mods can close this thread.

Lastly, god bless and live long fellow Apple users!

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
Couldn't stop thinking about how I would regret it later....so I purchased the iPhone 6 in Gold 64GB.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Difference isn't that much. In general, it is cheaper to get the 16GB model (or the lowest capacity if the number changes in the future) in terms of how much you pay and how much you can sell it for when you upgrade. I remember there was a thread here or some article somewhere that went through the math step by step. This is assuming the device(s) is in excellent condition when you sell it.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
Difference isn't that much. In general, it is cheaper to get the 16GB model (or the lowest capacity if the number changes in the future) in terms of how much you pay and how much you can sell it for when you upgrade. I remember there was a thread here or some article somewhere that went through the math step by step. This is assuming the device(s) is in excellent condition when you sell it.

Dang, well I screwed myself over then....:(

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Dang, well I screwed myself over then....:(

I have two suggestions for you and pretty much anyone buying electronics:

1) Buy for you and only you
2) Don't buy for resale purposes

These two rules work hand in hand. If you actually need the 64GB storage capacity, then awesome. If you don't, then don't buy it regardless of resale value or not. Buy it for what you need it for.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
I have two suggestions for you and pretty much anyone buying electronics:

1) Buy for you and only you
2) Don't buy for resale purposes

These two rules work hand in hand. If you actually need the 64GB storage capacity, then awesome. If you don't, then don't buy it regardless of resale value or not. Buy it for what you need it for.

Well on the bright side Verizon claims the 64GB Gold iPhone 6 that I preordered will deliver by 9/19.

If it doesn't at least ship by 9/19 I will change it out for a 16GB model, as you have a point.

Buying for resale is stupid, after all in two years I'll be selling the iPhone for at least more than than $200, while there is no guarantee that I'll get $299 for the iPhone 6 in 2016....thus making the 64GB option a waste of dough.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Well on the bright side Verizon claims the 64GB Gold iPhone 6 that I preordered will deliver by 9/19.

If it doesn't at least ship by 9/19 I will change it out for a 16GB model, as you have a point.

Buying for resale is stupid, after all in two years I'll be selling the iPhone for at least more than than $200, while there is no guarantee that I'll get $299 for the iPhone 6 in 2016....thus making the 64GB option a waste of dough.

If you need it, then it's not a waste (obviously). But if you're buying the 64GB (or any capacity/model/device/etc.) solely for resale purposes, I advise against that.

You're lucky, I pre-ordered my iPhone 6 Plus from AT&T (bad idea I know) 15 minutes after midnight. My ship date? October 2-13.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
If you need it, then it's not a waste (obviously). But if you're buying the 64GB (or any capacity/model/device/etc.) solely for resale purposes, I advise against that.

You're lucky, I pre-ordered my iPhone 6 Plus from AT&T (bad idea I know) 15 minutes after midnight. My ship date? October 2-13.

Oh the memories. We've all been screwed by AT&T at least once. They told me I could preorder the iPhone 4S back in 2011, and keep my Grandfathered Unlimited Data.

Best situation....phone arrives 1 week late, unlimited data is taken away randomly, and bill has a charge for both the $30 unlimited and $50 4GB data.

That's why I switched to Verizon. AT&T kept saying I'd get a credit in 2-3 bills, and that I'd get the Unlimited data back after a case etc.

Never received the credits from AT&T, so I cancelled service. FYI: Verizon gives credits instantly, and you can see them instantly on your verizon account online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.