Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
So I downgraded after Public Beta Screwup 3. I did the restore and it restored to Mountain Lion but now my user isn't the Administrator account. How do I put myself back to Administrator so I can upgrade and install to Mavericks?

kcvpr

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
So I downgraded after Public Beta Screwup 3. I did the restore and it restored to Mountain Lion but now my user isn't the Administrator account. How do I put myself back to Administrator so I can upgrade and install to Mavericks?
I actually fixed the exact same thing under the same circumstances a few hours ago today.

Basically as far as I understand the problem, sometimes when you downgrade versions your admin account loses its permissions and turns into a standard account.

What I ended up having to do is reboot into command prompt mode, and delete the hidden user setup file. Then reboot again, setup a new user just like you would when you first turn on you computer when brand new. Then fix the permissions on the account that changed in user preferences, then delete the newly created user if desired. I did not lose any files or settings by doing this process either, so don't worry about that at all.

This is the article I used to fix it. The entire process took me 10-15min tops. I only needed to do the first set of 3 steps then I was done.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-quickly-restore-a-missing-admin-account-in-os-x/

Last edited:

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Okay, one more little thing. Seems I can't open iTunes because some file "iTunes library.itl" can't be read. Anyone run into this before after downgrading from Yosemite?

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Okay, one more little thing. Seems I can't open iTunes because some file "iTunes library.itl" can't be read. Anyone run into this before after downgrading from Yosemite?

You upgraded your main Mac volume with Yosemite, then iTunes 12, then tried to go back to Mavericks and iTunes 11... iTunes 12 upgraded the library file... no idea how to fix that sorry

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Do you have a backup of your iTunes folder made before upgrading to Yosemite ?

If you don't, how large is your iTunes folder, and how much free space do you have on your Macintosh HD drive ?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States

You can safely delete that file. iTunes will build up that file on the next launch.

Or try it out my moving it to the Desktop. And then launching iTunes.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I did that and did indeed end up with an empty iTunes library, but all I had to do was drag and drop the files from the older iTunes folder into iTunes, instead of redownloading everything again. Worked just fine.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Just wondering the obvious... How come you guys don't do a TM backup before installing Beta OS's? It makes going back such a breeze, I do it all the time. Not asking to be offensive, just wondering if there was some particular reason.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Weird.

It does work for me on Mavericks : iTunes launches as new, then I can import the iTunes Library.xml file, and all works as expected.

XoFu

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
Life saver

I actually fixed the exact same thing under the same circumstances a few hours ago today.

Basically as far as I understand the problem, sometimes when you downgrade versions your admin account loses its permissions and turns into a standard account.

What I ended up having to do is reboot into command prompt mode, and delete the hidden user setup file. Then reboot again, setup a new user just like you would when you first turn on you computer when brand new. Then fix the permissions on the account that changed in user preferences, then delete the newly created user if desired. I did not lose any files or settings by doing this process either, so don't worry about that at all.

This is the article I used to fix it. The entire process took me 10-15min tops. I only needed to do the first set of 3 steps then I was done.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-quickly-restore-a-missing-admin-account-in-os-x/

Thank you for the link it worked beautifully for me!
Cheers, X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.