Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chewymix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Hi

I have a couple of airport expresses that are extending the range of the wifi network thats provided by an airport extreme - everything works fine. I have a macpro in the garage thats a server for the network and is wired on the network. I can use this mac to use create a 'new' wireless network using its airport card but what i'd really like is to 'extend' the current network so that devices dont need to switch networks and just roam to a new access point.

Back story to this is that i'm trying to get better wifi coverage in the garden and the garage is in a perfect spot for this, and it works fine, but only on a different SSID. Any thoughts if this is possible or would i need to buy yet another airport express? I had thought of just using the same SSID with the same password but this could cause other issues i am sure.

any thoughts?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Your best bet would be get a good used Airport Express and use a extension can and put it near a window in the garage and one in your house window pointing toward the garage. This should reach the garage using your house SSID.

chewymix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Hi

Thanks but thats not the case as i have cat 6 into the garage - I could easily put another airport express in there and use this but what i actually want to do is use the macpro to BRIDGE the network to the airport card in there so i am not double nat'ing which i am at the moment as i'm using the airport card to share the network connection provided by ethernet.

I might get creating with ipconfig and try to manually configure a bridge but i would have though i am not the first trying to do this with the hardware i have available.

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.