Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
10.8.5 doesnt include update, you may install 10.8.5 what include or not.

Huh???

The used 10.8.5 is Build 12F45, released on 3rd October 2013. So no Security-Update 2014-00x.

Last edited:

bubor

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Huh???

No, thanks. Instead, I would love to know what exactly in the files has to be patched ....

You've mentioned 10.8.5 version, but this version string doesnt describe installed security updates.

I've already writen what I've done, but you failed to reproduce. It was your decision, live with it.

Be sure
- your copy has good permission
- updated kextcache, when you replace kexts
- dont replace, delete, and copy
- check security updates ( dont let http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1753 installed)

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
What are you using to unpack the 7z file? I was using WinZip for Mac and the symlinks were lost.

Error found - now it works ... :)

I've extracted the 7z-files first with StuffIt-Expander 15.0.7 - this (as well as WinZip for Mac) doesn't work properly, because the symbolic links were not created.

The Unarchiver 3.9.1 works correctly and creates also the symbolic links. If there are files instead of links or only the 'Versions' folder, then the extraction was not properly.

Last edited:

PorkPieHat

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
Huh?

Is the WPA2 Internet Sharing from Ethernet to WIFI working in 10.8.5 for anyone? I don't know what I did anymore replacing few files (airportd, InternetSharing, wifid, mDNSResponder and mDNSResponderHelper), only later I discovered that pressing "Option" I could get the WEP 40/128 bits to show. And that seems to work.

Oh, and in case you get issues connecting via WiFi I've found out that removing the old AP passwords from the keyring as well can fix it.

Michelasso, I can’t figure out the meaning of your last paragraph. What are “old AP passwords” and what is “the keyring”?

Thanks. :cool:

PorkPieHat

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
I dont see those issues, I've uploaded my osx image to piratebay.

Bubor, how can I find your OSX image on Pirate Bay? Would installing that on my Late-2006 Core2Duo iMac require much more than a Restore?

[I truly doubt Restore could work for this, but it’s worth asking because I’m currently stuck with Lion, which I HATE.] :rolleyes:

mactune

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
stuck on 10.8.4

Hi,
I have MBP 2.2 with X1600 Ati and I installed 10.8.4 using MLpostFactor.
I would love to have 10.8.5 but I get same errors with "pixel salad"
Do you know what are the exact steps to have a functional 10.8.5 update on this machine?
Or what I need to do to stop receiving this update?
Thanks,

erak

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Hi,
I have MBP 2.2 with X1600 Ati and I installed 10.8.4 using MLpostFactor.
I would love to have 10.8.5 but I get same errors with "pixel salad"
Do you know what are the exact steps to have a functional 10.8.5 update on this machine?

I have the exact same machine and just installed 10.8.5 successfully without MLPF. These are the steps I took:

* Did a clean install from external HDD prepared with SFOTT (made from 10.8.5 App Store version)
* Installed all updates, including SecUpd 2014-003
* Downloaded the file package from this post (extracted with Unarchiver) and added/replaced the described kexts with Kext Utility (except IOAudioFamily, seems to work fine without, why is it needed?)
* Replaced the OpenCL and OpenGL frameworks. Fixed permissions according to this post. I also repaired permissions with Disk Utility.

Almost everything seems to work perfectly and I haven't seen any "pixel salad". The only issue is lagging video in photo booth, any fix for this? iSight works fine in other apps.

Last edited:

erak

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Hard to say what's gone wrong with the others when I can't oversee the steps taken. At least mactune in post #3932 came from a MLPF system, didn't say if he did a clean install.

I have the same ROM-version. I don't think messing around inside the frameworks is a good idea, like you mentioned here. Replace them completely. I did it in single user mode with rm and mv, not that it's necessary.

bubor

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Strange - 3 people (Post #3887, Post #3891, Post #3932 have done the same steps and got pixel salad.

Maybe it depends on the X1600 ROM-version (here: 113-xxxxxx-158) ....

Maybe. Just uploaded my images because of that. You can try yourself, my working bootable image.
I can image, apple has different installer from store every region.
I installed ML to a friend's imac, I dont have anymore, I wont read this forum anymore.

mactune

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions,
Well, I did try SFOTT but could not get graphics to work.
MLpostfactor install - everything is working perfectly fine.
I will try it when I get some spare time.
I will have to take the image of the hard drive as I don't want to spend to much time to reinstall all the programs. But I'd love to have up to date ML

radmacdaddy

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
This is likely in this thread, but the thread is so long I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a MB 2.1 with Snow Leopard, this install requires Lion, so how do I install from Snow Leopard (The last supported build?)

Many thanks!

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I have a MB 2.1 with Snow Leopard, this install requires Lion, so how do I install from Snow Leopard (The last supported build?)

Go to the first Post on Page 1 and use MLPostFactor to install 10.8.5 Mountain Lion on a MacBook 2,1 (GMA 950 Graphics).

Use the 10.8.4 settings, change after the Installation the Product Version strings to 10.8.5 in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist or see Post #3901.

erak

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Just fixed AirDrop, Recovery and iMessage/FaceTime. So if anyone has a solution for laggy Photo Booth? That would be the only issue for me with 10.8.5 on MBP 2,2.

Maybe it's written earlier in this thread, but activating AirDrop is done with the following two commands in Terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1
killall Finder
If that doesn't help you could also try:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser DisableAirDrop -boolean NO
killall Finder

Recovery HD is nice to have and is also needed for Find My Mac. I replaced boot.efi and added the partition with the help from this guide. Also check the comment (by me, "Old Timer").

iMessage/FaceTime, as said earlier, is just a call to Apple away.

I will have to take the image of the hard drive as I don't want to spend to much time to reinstall all the programs.
I think this could be the issue for some. Not wanting to reinstall and trying to take a shortcut by replacing files is not a good idea if you're not sure what you're doing. (Not saying that's what you did)

radmacdaddy

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Go to the first Post on Page 1 and use MLPostFactor to install 10.8.5 Mountain Lion on a MacBook 2,1 (GMA 950 Graphics).

Use the 10.8.4 settings, change after the Installation the Product Version strings to 10.8.5 in /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist or see Post #3901.

So, ATVUSR... the problem is that that MLPostfactor doesn't work with earlier than Lion for install... at least that's what it's telling me when I go to use it.

Am I doing something wrong?

radmacdaddy

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
It's described in Post #1, Page 1: Prerequisites - Running 10.7 Lion.

If you don't have 10.7 Lion, you can buy it online in the Apple Store:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

(Use the search bar in the Apple Store to find the link to 10.7 Lion if you live in a other country.)

Ok, maybe something changed, I had thought Lion was not installable on 2,1 macbook.

I'll look into that, thanks

alexflowmusic

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Hey¡ Just installed 10.8.4 on a Macbook Pro 2,1 (core 2 duo / ati Radeon x1600 ) everything works pretty good untill know¡ thanks 2 every1 in here and Hackerwayne u're the Best man ¡¡¡

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.