Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Can someone please let me know how to view the film info for a film on Netflix when using Apple TV?!

I thought I could have the film selected and then press the center button on the Apple remote but this just causes the film to start playing right away? Also tried pressing the 'Play' button on the remote but again, this just causes the film to start playing right away?!

Also tried the 'Menu' button on the remote but this just takes you to the previous menu??

Any ideas?!

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ah sorry clicking up once the movie is playing will show info.

Is there not an option to view the film info before it is playing (like you can when choosing a film on iTunes - you can read the info first to see what the film is about, before you actually buy it) - does Netflix not have an option for this?!

On Netflix on the iPad, you can see the film info before you choose to play it but on Netflix on Apple TV, it doesn't appear to show ANY film info before you choose to play it? How are you supposed to know what the film is about?!!

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Can someone please let me know how to view the film info for a film on Netflix when using Apple TV?!

I thought I could have the film selected and then press the center button on the Apple remote but this just causes the film to start playing right away

aye should be the center button (and always has been in the past)

only two things I should qualify that with:

1 I just tried it successfuly on netflix USA site, so the latest version of UK site might have changed in last week or two (its got different features to the US one)

2 I've not got latest AppleTV update on my ATV3, and again the setup might have changed on latest version too

does seem like a really retrograde step for them to have changed it to how you describe though, so Im guessing its more of a bug than a feature!

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
aye should be the center button (and always has been in the past)

only two things I should qualify that with:

1 I just tried it successfuly on netflix USA site, so the latest version of UK site might have changed in last week or two (its got different features to the US one)

2 I've not got latest AppleTV update on my ATV3, and again the setup might have changed on latest version too

does seem like a really retrograde step for them to have changed it to how you describe though, so Im guessing its more of a bug than a feature!

Hmm, perhaps it is a bug then but I can 100% confirm that on my Apple TV( bought in the UK - latest version with latest software), pressing the center button on the remote, whilst having a film selected in Netflix, does NOT bring up the film info. It causes the film to start playing.

:confused:

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
switched over to UK netflix and still shows the film info when I click the centre button

if centre button does what its meant to elsewhere (eg in Itunes etc) I'd rule out the remote itself, so looks like bug of some sort :(

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
switched over to UK netflix and still shows the film info when I click the centre button

if centre button does what its meant to elsewhere (eg in Itunes etc) I'd rule out the remote itself, so looks like bug of some sort :(

...that is weird then?! How can your Apple TV show the film info when you press the center button on your remote but my Apple TV plays the film when I do the same action?!:confused:

Surely if it was indeed a bug, the bug would be present on ALL Apple TVs across the board?!

MikeMcr

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
...that is weird then?! How can your Apple TV show the film info when you press the center button on your remote but my Apple TV plays the film when I do the same action?!:confused:

Surely if it was indeed a bug, the bug would be present on ALL Apple TVs across the board?!

You must have a broken remote. Perhaps it is sending 2 clicks every time you press the centre button?

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana

I thought I could have the film selected and then press the center button on the Apple remote but this just causes the film to start playing right away? Also tried pressing the 'Play' button on the remote but again, this just causes the film to start playing right away?!

Also tried the 'Menu' button on the remote but this just takes you to the previous menu??

Any ideas?!

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but if you tap the down button twice on the movie launch screen, it will give you actor information and other such things. If you're looking for other information, I'm not sure it's possible on the Apple TV platform.

jasonmeeker

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Kid mode?

Not sure if this is the issue, but I do know that in "KIDS" mode in Netflix, when you select the movie it starts playing immediately, no info screen before.

That is the only time I've ever seen that behavior.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Not sure if this is the issue, but I do know that in "KIDS" mode in Netflix, when you select the movie it starts playing immediately, no info screen before.

That is the only time I've ever seen that behavior.

....ahhhaaa - perhaps in the "Kids" section then, there is no info for films??

That is weird because Netflix on my Xbox 360 does indeed have film info, EVEN in the kids section?!?!

----------

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but if you tap the down button twice on the movie launch screen, it will give you actor information and other such things. If you're looking for other information, I'm not sure it's possible on the Apple TV platform.

...so what are the 'other such things'?! Does it give a synopsis of what the film is actually about?!

Wouldn't tapping the down button twice, though, just move the cursor down!?

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
....well - still haven't found an answer to this?:(

I find myself opening Netflix on the Apple TV, highlighting a movie, and then opening Netflix on my iPad, and finding the same film just so that I can read the film (the iPad version of Netflix does indeed show the film info BEFORE you select to play it) info BEFORE I select to play it on Netflix on the Apple TV?!!?

....not ideal :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.