Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JansenAndroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
The HDD in the mac works. I got ubuntu installed on it and it boots up without problems on the mac.
But when I try to do Internet Recovery (cmd+r), it can not find the disk.. Why is that?

I am actually trying to fix this piece of hardware so taht I can use it on my upcoming mac course.

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think your drive should be formatted as HFS, in order to load OS X. Try disk utility, and make a partition on your drive for OS X. I´m not familiar with Ubuntu, so it´s a guess.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
May be you do not have a Recovery partition.

In the Terminal :

Code:
diskutil list

BTW : Internet Recovery : cmd + alt + r

Only works if you model is eligible to Internet Recovery.

Cmd + r is System Recovery.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The HDD in the mac works. I got ubuntu installed on it and it boots up without problems on the mac.
But when I try to do Internet Recovery (cmd+r), it can not find the disk.. Why is that?

I am actually trying to fix this piece of hardware so taht I can use it on my upcoming mac course.

command-r uses a hidden 650MB recovery partition on the local drive, and since you have Ubuntu installed I'm guessing that recovery partition is gone.

Newer Macs have Internet recovery that a command-r will roll over to if the disk based recovery partition is gone, but your Mac Pro does not support Internet recovery. (Mac Pros not on the list)

So at this point you will need an installer DVD like Snow Leopard or access to another Mac to download Lion/Mt. Lion/or Mavericks depending on that your machine will support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.