Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
So you are using the app Home Inventory? If so are you so pleased with it?

Sorry only just seen this reply!

I switched to an Excel Spreadsheet at the end of the day. Was easier for entry and glancing at things for my liking. Have a number of tabs with stuff on and you can add whatever columns you wish. Only thing is pictures. But taking pictures and saving them to a cloud based service in an inventory folder is more or less proof enough in a way.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking for a home inventory solution at the moment and this thread seemed to mention all the software that keeps coming up in my searches. I was curious if any MacRumors members have any current experience with any of the options and what your recommendation is?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Sorry only just seen this reply!

I switched to an Excel Spreadsheet at the end of the day. Was easier for entry and glancing at things for my liking. Have a number of tabs with stuff on and you can add whatever columns you wish. Only thing is pictures. But taking pictures and saving them to a cloud based service in an inventory folder is more or less proof enough in a way.

I know this is an old thread, but the big issue I had with the Binary Home Inventory software was the data entry. Especially if you are using the remote entry. You can't do any editing on an entry until you close down the interface on your Mac.

Horrible, especially if you have a lot of items to enter and you are using two people to do it.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I know this is an old thread, but the big issue I had with the Binary Home Inventory software was the data entry. Especially if you are using the remote entry. You can't do any editing on an entry until you close down the interface on your Mac.

Horrible, especially if you have a lot of items to enter and you are using two people to do it.
That's too bad. Little Fin hasn't updated their page in years. The link to Binary Formations is broken, but the app is still available.

I've had a house fire, and keeping an inventory is a good idea.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I’ve taken a stab at MyStuff2 (free version) on iOS, and it seems to work pretty well. I’ll give it some more time to be sure before moving to the pro version, which is $9.
If it does what it appears it can do, it’s a bargain.
In any case, I need to inventory my stuff. And the iPad seems (to me) to be the tool to use.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I’ve taken a stab at MyStuff2 (free version) on iOS, and it seems to work pretty well. I’ll give it some more time to be sure before moving to the pro version, which is $9.
If it does what it appears it can do, it’s a bargain.
In any case, I need to inventory my stuff. And the iPad seems (to me) to be the tool to use.

I am looking at the product, can you have multiple iPhones for instance, doing data entry at the same time? It shows syncing across devices, but I am looking for doing data entry with more than one device at a time. I have a lot of items I want to track and having two people do entry would be ideal.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
There used to be software 10 or more years ago that allowed you to catalog what you had in your home and I think it would upload it to the company for insurance purposes if something bad happened. No idea if something like that still exists. I'd think it'd be neat to log every book we've got in our home library but I wouldn't want to go through that many books. The easiest way would be to snap photos using my phone, upload them to the computer, batch sort them, then manually enter everything. No thanks.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
There used to be software 10 or more years ago that allowed you to catalog what you had in your home and I think it would upload it to the company for insurance purposes if something bad happened. No idea if something like that still exists. I'd think it'd be neat to log every book we've got in our home library but I wouldn't want to go through that many books. The easiest way would be to snap photos using my phone, upload them to the computer, batch sort them, then manually enter everything. No thanks.
Even better, you should be able to use the ISBN number. Scan that, upload, boom! Done!

I know I can scan the UPC on foods I eat for tracking.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
How? A phone app?
Yes, "Lose It!". From the app, I scan the barcode, and it looks the item up for me, and then I can add it to my daily intake.

I hate knowing that bag of chips is 10-15 servings, though.

If it doesn't find the item, you can add it manually. That just takes longer.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yes, "Lose It!". From the app, I scan the barcode, and it looks the item up for me, and then I can add it to my daily intake.

I hate knowing that bag of chips is 10-15 servings, though.

If it doesn't find the item, you can add it manually. That just takes longer.

I don't eat books, though.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I am looking at the product, can you have multiple iPhones for instance, doing data entry at the same time? It shows syncing across devices, but I am looking for doing data entry with more than one device at a time. I have a lot of items I want to track and having two people do entry would be ideal.

Good question; I hadn’t thought of that approach. Seems worth a call or email to Rick Maddy, the developer.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Good question; I hadn’t thought of that approach. Seems worth a call or email to Rick Maddy, the developer.

I did just that and he or her responded pretty quickly. They do allow for multiple people doing data entry, which is huge for me. My only complaint would be they don't have a MacOS app. Everything has to be done on the iOS device. Which isn't too bad.

Looks like I will have to download it and give it a try.

Reactions: Matz

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I did just that and he or her responded pretty quickly. They do allow for multiple people doing data entry, which is huge for me. My only complaint would be they don't have a MacOS app. Everything has to be done on the iOS device. Which isn't too bad.

Looks like I will have to download it and give it a try.

That’s really good to know. Thanks for checking that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.