Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KriCo

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
After updating iPad 4th gen and iPhone 5S to iOS8 GM handoff is working on the iPad again, but not on the iPhone 5S (handoff is enabled in the settings). Any ideas?
All devices are using same iCloud account.

illjazz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
I held off the whole beta testing period and now finally just installed the GM. Loving iOS 8 so far overall. The entire OS feels more polished and plain faster.

One thing... does the Siri Shazam integration work for anyone? I can't seem to get Siri to recognise anything when I have her listen to music.

The hands-free "Hey Siri" thing is freaking cool. Will be interesting though... at night, with my girlfriend next to me and both phones charging... when I say "Hey Siri, wake me up tomorrow at time X", my GF's phone will get the exact same thing set. Oh well, guess we'll have to start being wary of this new feature with multiple charging iPhones running iOS 8 in the room :)

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Hopefully this was just a test, and they're just going to offer it on the App Store or something. I hated the useless icon on my homescreen.

This is based on the built-in apps list on here http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

Not sure what you're talking about. I just installed iOS8 GM on to my iPhone 5 that was on 7.1.2 and Tips is still there. Its the last Icon.

----------

If you're on Yosemite this seems to be a common problem. I was able to install it using Mavericks.

I installed mine on Windows! Take that!

----------

For those asking iOS 6 and 7 GMs didn't require registered UDIDs... So i guess this is the same.

None of the iOS7 or iOS8 Betas required UDID's either. i've been running them simply by downloading them from torrents and installing them through iTunes. Simple.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not sure what you're talking about. I just installed iOS8 GM on to my iPhone 5 that was on 7.1.2 and Tips is still there. Its the last Icon.

----------

I installed mine on Windows! Take that!

----------

None of the iOS7 or iOS8 Betas required UDID's either. i've been running them simply by downloading them from torrents and installing them through iTunes. Simple.
Various ones did require registered UDIDs at least for different people.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Can anyone confirm iOS 8 GM working on non registered device? I have a Verizon iPhone 5.

Yes, it works perfectly fine. I have a Verizon iPhone 5 as well and it is not registered with Apple on a dev account.

----------

Various ones did require registered UDIDs at least for different people.

I installed various versions right through iTunes using the shift button trick and they all worked fine for me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, it works perfectly fine. I have a Verizon iPhone 5 as well and it is not registered with Apple on a dev account.

----------

I installed various versions right through iTunes using the shift button trick and they all worked fine for me.
Did the same with a few devices and for some of them it would end up saying they are not part of the dev program after the update and would be useless short of going back to a previous beta (if it wasn't expiring) or the final release at the time.

As for GMs they aren't beta versions so no dev registration needed to install/run them.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Is it just as good to update through iTunes instead of restoring and then restoring from backup? I just updated through iTunes and it seems to have worked fine.

That's all I did. I downloaded the ipsw file and backed up my phone in iTunes, then forced it to Update using the ipsw file I downloaded. It seems to work perfectly and everything is still on my phone (messages, apps, photos, etc.)

kmkjams

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2014
Chicago, IL

----------

Same, on a Verizon iP5 (not registered dev), just whatever you do, don't try to install it on your phone using iTunes 12 in the Yosemite Beta. It's just a continuous loop of iTunes crashing. I had to use my GF's PC to get the GM on my phone. :eek:

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
iOS 8 is amazing. Not as many new features as I'd like, but it still runs great. SNIP

Most of the features will not be visible until apps get updated to iOS 8, and Yosemite is at the GM stage.

Im already using SMS forwarding, and love that feature alone.

The new apps, once they take advantage of the new SDK's, are going to be a big improvement. iOS 8 GM, at this point, is merely the stage for everything else to take place on.

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
iOS8 GM update via Yosemite still broken???

Is everyone still experiencing crashes when trying to update to GM via iTunes 12 and Yosemite?

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
Nobody else having the "smooth scrolling" issue?
When scrolling through a webpage in Safari or in an email message in the default mail app?

I have it in other apps and settings as well, but these are the worst.
I compared it to a device running iOS 7.1.2 and a clear difference in the two.

iPhone 5 IE release date version.

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
I know everyone is all gaga over the 6/6p and iwatch (i refuse to call it :apple:watch lmao) but idk if anyone else noticed or cares; but i do---handoff (of apps) is working again from iOS 8 GM to OS X 10.10 DP 7....yessssssssssss, yes--unlike some of us who view this as an aesthetic feature more than a useful tool, i have been using that shiet since day one and was disappointed when OS X went through beta 6 to 7 and iOS got stuck behind at 5 bc handoff of apps up until now was not backwards compatible; so **** YES is my point to all of this. I love handoff. and Hand-blowjobs....:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

----------

Most are, as mentioned in quite a few GM posts/threads. Best thing to do is to use iTunes 11.

I never had a problem; i did not hit option "restore" i go with option "update" and select the firmware that way. I have OS X 10.10 dp 7 and installed iOS 8 GM with ease. My machine is a MacBook Pro early 2013 Retina 15" and my phone is a 5s. Not trying to be like na na na boo boo either lmao; i was just saying most people do restore, yet when i do update and have no problems---i well, have no problems with the install and with the result of the install.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Is everyone still experiencing crashes when trying to update to GM via iTunes 12 and Yosemite?

It's a bug that won't be fixed until Apple pushes a new update.

For those of you stuck from trying to restore and think your phone is bricked, it's not. Download this app http://jaxov.com/2011/02/download-re...with-mac-10-5/ and it will take you out of the restore mode loop back to your current OS.

If you still want to install the GM after that. Delete iTunes 12, install the current version of iTunes 11 and upgrade to the GM through that. Then you can upgrade to iTunes 12 again through the Mac App Store.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Does T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling work on devices other than the iPhone 5s? I used the search tool to look for "calling" and the 3 results didn't even contain that keyword... vBulletin is weird sometimes.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Does T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling work on devices other than the iPhone 5s? I used the search tool to look for "calling" and the 3 results didn't even contain that keyword... vBulletin is weird sometimes.

Looks a bit like visual voicemail - possibly carrier specific and phone specific for now.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
A feature I didn't see advertised is that you can make and receive phone calls on your iPad too, if you properly configure your iPhone with iOS 8.
I only read it was possible from Yosemite. Being able to also use the iPad is great.
Currently this feature seems a little unstable, there must be some requirements for it to work properly.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I held off the whole beta testing period and now finally just installed the GM. Loving iOS 8 so far overall. The entire OS feels more polished and plain faster.

One thing... does the Siri Shazam integration work for anyone? I can't seem to get Siri to recognise anything when I have her listen to music.

The hands-free "Hey Siri" thing is freaking cool. Will be interesting though... at night, with my girlfriend next to me and both phones charging... when I say "Hey Siri, wake me up tomorrow at time X", my GF's phone will get the exact same thing set. Oh well, guess we'll have to start being wary of this new feature with multiple charging iPhones running iOS 8 in the room :)

In the recent GM build of iOS 8, the feature has been removed completely. Apple notes that it should be back in time for the general public release of the OS, however: http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/10/siri-what-song-is-this-the-ios-8-gm-doesnt-have-a-clue/
screen-shot-2014-06-02-at-11-22-18-am.png

XMZ-250

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2014
Home
Has anyone noticed when setting a wallpaper from photos app in iOS 8 it doesn't auto-scale anymore when perspective zoom is off especially on iPads...seems that apple finally addressed the issue.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone been noticing serious glitches with this build? I'm running it on a third generation iPad with Verizon and occasionally I'll have accelerometer glitches in Mail, the springboard crashes fairly often, and one time it needed to "reactivate" which really just had me re-enter the WiFi info, but it did seem to flush out a few settings.

I've not had the same issues running the same build on one of my fifth generation iPod touches, but I'm also not using said iPod touch anywhere near as frequently.

I know that it's technically the .0 release and it's always buggy until the .0.1 or .0.2 release, but I don't recall iOS 7.0.0 being THIS glitchy.

Or does anyone think that they may issue a newer build come Wednesday?

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I don't think there will be a newer build before Wednesday, but maybe an 8.0.1 update by the end of the month. I haven't had any major issues, just some minor graphics glitches and UI inconsistencies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.