Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Another good word for the Kenu Airframe. Simple, compact, ruggedly built, secure grip, perfectly positioned for hands-free operation, and does exactly what I need without complicated and potentially messy dash or window installation.

Been using the Airframe for 9 months and the phone has not popped off once. Mount and unmount with one hand, and I can take the Airframe with me whenever I use a different car.

Only issue is how it partially blocks the air vent. On hot days, the Airframe essentially takes a vent out of service because of how I need to position the vent blades for the most secure fit. OTOH, having the AC blowing on the phone prevents it from overheating in direct sunlight.

In addition, on cool humid days, I have to remember to shut the air flow in order to prevent moisture from condensing on the phone. With cars that do not allow for switching off individual vents, this might be an issue.

Otherwise, the Airframe is a clever design that does its job very well.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Another good word for the Kenu Airframe. Simple, compact, ruggedly built, secure grip, perfectly positioned for hands-free operation, and does exactly what I need without complicated and potentially messy dash or window installation.

Been using the Airframe for 9 months and the phone has not popped off once. Mount and unmount with one hand, and I can take the Airframe with me whenever I use a different car.

Only issue is how it partially blocks the air vent. On hot days, the Airframe essentially takes a vent out of service because of how I need to position the vent blades for the most secure fit. OTOH, having the AC blowing on the phone prevents it from overheating in direct sunlight.

In addition, on cool humid days, I have to remember to shut the air flow in order to prevent moisture from condensing on the phone. With cars that do not allow for switching off individual vents, this might be an issue.

Otherwise, the Airframe is a clever design that does its job very well.
Weird since I can't get the same thing to stay on the vent on our altima and camry. Tried two so far both seem to be junk.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I love my Kenu Airframe

It's a really well made a minimal mount. The spring loaded stainless grip with soft coating really grabs and hold the phone steadily. I use it with my slick round air vent and it worked well, so I am pretty sure it will work with yours.

The thing I love about it is that is is very minimal and the material is top notch, not cheap plastic. It will work with or without cases.

I have been looking for car mount for the last few years. Most of them look down right too bulky for my liking, and I don't like solutions that leave a ugly permanent base as my car is pretty streamline inside. So, this one fits my needs.

Despite the small minimal design, this mount is built to last and will fit all my future phones, so instead of leaving "good enough" alone, I am considering creating a permanent base for it instead of using the vent. The advantages are not blocking the vent and a more stable base.

+1 same, don't need to look at anything else. Perfect with case or without

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I use a RAM Mount, suction windshield mount with the X grip holder. Most of the RAM mounts are interchangeable.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Weird since I can't get the same thing to stay on the vent on our altima and camry. Tried two so far both seem to be junk.

Used my Airframe so far on three Mazdas, a Ford Focus, and a VW Jetta. Worked well on all of them.

The only potential issues I see would be if you use a large case like an Otterbox, or the vent does not allow you to push the Airframe all the way in, or something else prevents you from solidly mounting the phone all the way to the back of the mount. On my car, the two middle vents are ideal for the Airframe. The two circular side vents would require more careful positioning.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Used my Airframe so far on three Mazdas, a Ford Focus, and a VW Jetta. Worked well on all of them.

The only potential issues I see would be if you use a large case like an Otterbox, or the vent does not allow you to push the Airframe all the way in, or something else prevents you from solidly mounting the phone all the way to the back of the mount. On my car, the two middle vents are ideal for the Airframe. The two circular side vents would require more careful positioning.

This might be a stupid question, but if you have the AC or heat on, would that cause any damage to the phone? Just to have the hot or cold blasting? I'm genuinely not sure what the effects of that would be.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
This might be a stupid question, but if you have the AC or heat on, would that cause any damage to the phone? Just to have the hot or cold blasting? I'm genuinely not sure what the effects of that would be.

The only potential issue with the AC would be on a cool humid day, you might need to watch out for condensation or at least warm up the AC output so moisture doesn't condense. On hot days, the AC can actually help quite a bit by cooling off the phone as it sits in direct sunlight (like it would much of the time when mounted on the dash).

With the heater, yeah you probably don't want hot air blasting onto the phone. On my car, I can shut off the vent where I have the Airframe, so that's not an issue. But, if you do have a car where some or all of the vents cannot be individually shut off, then you might need to either redirect the air away from the dash vents or moderate the temperature when mounting the phone in the winter time.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
The only potential issue with the AC would be on a cool humid day, you might need to watch out for condensation or at least warm up the AC output so moisture doesn't condense. On hot days, the AC can actually help quite a bit by cooling off the phone as it sits in direct sunlight (like it would much of the time when mounted on the dash).

With the heater, yeah you probably don't want hot air blasting onto the phone. On my car, I can shut off the vent where I have the Airframe, so that's not an issue. But, if you do have a car where some or all of the vents cannot be individually shut off, then you might need to either redirect the air away from the dash vents or moderate the temperature when mounting the phone in the winter time.

Thank you for your thorough response. Seems like a neat idea, however, I think I would prefer the mount that goes in the cd player, or just on the dash board. Who knows, maybe I'll try something new whenever my current one breaks.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thank you for your thorough response. Seems like a neat idea, however, I think I would prefer the mount that goes in the cd player, or just on the dash board. Who knows, maybe I'll try something new whenever my current one breaks.

If your CD player has a removeable faceplate you can pretty much forget a CD mount. Every one I've tried just pulls the faceplate off of the player.

For dashboard mount check out the Tetrax system.
Little magnets that you mount on your dash with corresponding metal discs that mount on your phone case.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
If your CD player has a removeable faceplate you can pretty much forget a CD mount. Every one I've tried just pulls the faceplate off of the player.

For dashboard mount check out the Tetrax system.
Little magnets that you mount on your dash with corresponding metal discs that mount on your phone case.

My cd player does not have a removable faceplate. I still like the techmatte one that I have. The suction is really nice and sturdy.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Kenu airframe works well for me. I use it on the side vent, and I turn that vent off when using heating. As I live in Australia and sometimes drive long distances in summer I would not use a windscreen mount.

The Kene is secure, and it is easy to insert and remove phone.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2010
I love my mount that goes into the CD player slot. 6 disk in dash changer so I don't have to pull it out too often, even though it's simple to do.

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
I love my mount that goes into the CD player slot. 6 disk in dash changer so I don't have to pull it out too often, even though it's simple to do.

That raises a question for me: how easily CAN this fall out? It can't be lodged TOO far into the cd player, right?

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
That raises a question for me: how easily CAN this fall out? It can't be lodged TOO far into the cd player, right?

I'm guessing he's referring to something like the mountek mounts. They are quite sturdy, the blades that go into the slot splay/expand out with a knob so it's pretty much locked in there. Can't imagine it coming out improperly except with a ton of brute force.

juliehrobak

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
I have a TechMatte car mount from amazon. If I were to give it a score between 1 and 10, I would say 9. Its really nice, but it doesn't wirelessly charge like the air dock (which costs upwards of $50 more.

Nick Lullo

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Check Out Tackform

Hi Paulie,

I'm the founder of a mount Manufacturer called Tackform.. Clearly I would like to recommend our brand. :)

We have a patented suction cup that us super strong.. It works with both windshields and most vehicle dashboards. NOTE: Only use on hard surfaced dashboards.. If you stick it to soft leather dash it can leave an impression over time.. But as far as windshields and hard dashboards it's 100% safe.

We have a proprietary phone holder the is super strong and adjustable so you can control the gripping tension.. This helps in many ways because there are a wide array of cases on the market so you can get that custom fit regardless of the case or phone.

Also, the phone holder will give you full access to all of your buttons, ports, camera, and speakers..

It's extremely versatile. We also offer a lifetime warranty for products purchased directly through our website as well as a 30 day return policy in the event your unhappy with your purchase..

We're a small family owned business so service and happy customers are extremely important to us. You can check it out at our website on https://tackform.com/ultra-grip-phone-mount/

If you have any questions feel free to reach out. sales (at) tackform.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.