Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rosejap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2014
Hi everyone. FIrst of all sorry for my english. I just want to ask, can the cheapest mac mini handle 2d game development? and also can it handle if i use iphone emulator..What hardware specifications do you recommend for 2d game development?. Thanks

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hi everyone. FIrst of all sorry for my english. I just want to ask, can the cheapest mac mini handle 2d game development? and also can it handle if i use iphone emulator..What hardware specifications do you recommend for 2d game development?. Thanks

None of my computers can run Limbo, because I guess they rely on some funky GPU specific effects or something? IDK, sucks.

If you have a computer right now, I'd suggest you download Unity right now and start making games in it. It runs on OS X and Windows and can be used to make 2D and 3D games for just about any platform you could possibly want (includes consoles, mobiles, desktop, web, and Oculus Rift). I can give you some links to useful learning materials if you want.

Anyways, I wouldn't waste money on a new computer until you try just using your current one. If you find your current one isn't good enough, then you'll have some idea of what better specs your new machine will need.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
If you want to do 2D game development, you have a few options. You could learn how to make a 2D game in Unity or, if you have a Mac, download Xcode and learn Objective-C or Swift and then learn to use SpriteKit or Cocos2d.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.