Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tocanepauli

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Reconditioned macbook passed off as new!!!!

Hi we just bought a new MBP ( from a very well known retailer) for my university bound daughter and, upon getting home and un boxing it, she found that there was another persons logo and sign in field, when she started it!!!! Obviously we could not go any further as it was already password protected! We checked out the other " name " and it is another student in our town. My daughter was visibly extremely upset as her "new" MBP was NOT new. This was not a " deal" or marked as "reconditioned" but was sold as a NEW machine! I am disgusted and very pissed off and we are back off to the shop to sort this out. Not what is needed on my daughters day of leaving to go to uni!

RianT

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
Hi we just bought a new MBP ( from a very well known retailer) for my university bound daughter and, upon getting home and un boxing it, she found that there was another persons logo and sign in field, when she started it!!!! Obviously we could not go any further as it was already password protected! We checked out the other " name " and it is another student in our town. My daughter was visibly extremely upset as her "new" MBP was NOT new. This was not a " deal" or marked as "reconditioned" but was sold as a NEW machine! I am disgusted and very pissed off and we are back off to the shop to sort this out. Not what is needed on my daughters day of leaving to go to uni!

Was the box plastic wrapped? Was the seal intact? Seems strange that that happened...hmmm...

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Just bought an (almost) ultimate 15" rMBP.
2.5ghz
16gb RAM
1TB SSD
Nvidia 750m

Couldn't bring myself to pay the £130 for the 0.3ghz increase, I figure it'd just run hotter/drain battery quicker anyway :)
Should get to the UK around the 12th of september!

helix21

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Order update

For anyone interested, here is my order timeline, so those who have just ordered can have an idea how long it'll take. This is UK.

Custom 13" rMBP 16GB RAM 256GB SSD

Mon 1st Sep 0700 - order placed
Thu 4th Sep 0600 - preparing shipment ("processing" until then"
Fri 5th Sep 0810 - shipped

It says it'll arrive on Wednesday evening via UPS. UPS tracking says its exported from Shangai Fri night.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed. I wanted to pay for express shipping, but couldn't (no option available), as I really wanted to get the machine this weekend.

I wonder if the mass shipments of iPhones that inevitably going on right now might have saturated the delivery market?

rjptl96

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
Just got my 15in Retina Display Mid-2014!!!

Mine is the mid 2014 15.4 inch rMBP with 2.2ghz i7 and 16gb ram.

Holy crap this thing is fast. it boots up in about 10 seconds on the Yosemite beta. 6 seconds on mavericks. NO noise from fans whatsoever, except when i was using handbrake to encode a 720p mkv to mp4, took about two minutes, utilizing all four cores! gotta say its screaming fast and the retina is a beauty. the battery is long lasting as well. gotta say well made investment

Martytoof

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
Toronto, ON
I have ordered a 13" rMBP with 16GB RAM and 256GB.

How long did yours stay in "processing"? I'm told that is the time it takes to "build' the laptop with additional RAM. Mine has been processing now for over a day.

I was hoping to get it by Saturday this week (I ordered Sunday night) as it says 1-3 business days, but the official delivery time they have given me is 8th-10th September, which is next week. I live in the UK though, so not sure if it's entirely analogous, but should be for just the China processing bit.

Sorry, didn't pay attention to this thread. Seems like you already know judging by your recent reply, but mine was in processing for about three days. Was also disappointed that I couldn't pay for further expedited shipping, but in the end it arrived exactly when they said it would and the waiting was worth it :)

Julpride

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
Woohoo! Committed and here begins the waiting game. :cool:

mpYlWmg.png

Julpride

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
It's finally on the way here!!!

0iyuJ9j.png

Guys, I have a question though. Sorry if this had been asked before.

Is there a compiled list of things I should check through like,
- dead pixels
- screen black level
- make of the SSD
- make of the screen(there was some samsung vs LG thing going on?)
- speakers(i'm just making stuff up)
- ...?

I know there are some known issues, I would just like to test them out and sort them out before I settle down, of course I pray hard that it would not have an issues at all. :eek:

Thanks in advance guys! :apple:

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I've just bought the entry level 15 inch retina MacBookPro, complete with education discount.

I already have a 2010 MacBookPro, but the extra content on the screen in addition to the sharper, clearer, and brighter screen is something else and my 2010 MBP was some machine.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Is there a compiled list of things I should check through like,
- dead pixels
- screen black level
- make of the SSD
- make of the screen(there was some samsung vs LG thing going on?)
- speakers(i'm just making stuff up)
- ...?

I know there are some known issues, I would just like to test them out and sort them out before I settle down, of course I pray hard that it would not have an issues at all. :eek:

Thanks in advance guys! :apple:

I would also like to know about this.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
All you need to know is does the screen look right?, does it sound right?, does everything work?

If yes to all of them which it probably will be then your fine. If you have any problems then just send it back and explain. There is no need to go into who makes the screen, who makes the RAM etc.

Last edited:

Julpride

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
3OmhMQx.png

Nooo....... fml. :mad:

7U6wNfi.png

Damned typhoon in Hong Kong.
Why couldn't it been a direct flight from Shanghai to SG. =(

Hey bigchrisfgb, thanks for the advise, I guess that is one way to settle down as well.

Last edited:

Heterosethual

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Alberta
I've just bought the entry level 15 inch retina MacBookPro, complete with education discount.

I already have a 2010 MacBookPro, but the extra content on the screen in addition to the sharper, clearer, and brighter screen is something else and my 2010 MBP was some machine.

**** I just ordered a 512gb MacBook Pro retina the other day with apple care online, had no option for a student discount.

How should I apply for it now? It's still processing at the moment.

----------

**** I just ordered a 512gb MacBook Pro retina the other day with apple care online, had no option for a student discount.

I guess I need to cancel it and reorder lol my bad.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010

----------

I guess I need to cancel it and reorder lol my bad.
Yes, you will need to cancel the order, if it's too late then you will have to send it back within 14 days and re-order.

Ring them up, before you cancel see if they can apply the discount though, you never know.

If you need to re-order then you will have to do it online via your university or college's network, if you ring then you need to do so on the education phone line, and if you go instore then you just need to tell them that you are a student and provide ID.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I placed my order on the 14 and stated available to ship in 24hrs with delivery the 17 tomorrow :confused: but the order status still says processing, is this normal ?

Spartizan

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Florida
My early 2011 i7 15" MacBook Pro finally ate the dust (black screen and random shutdowns) so I ended up running to the Apple store close by to make a purchase. Came out with a brand new 13" MacBook Pro i5 entry level. Shall see how the downgrade goes (screen wise and spec wise) but already I am seeing a lot of improvement from my 2011 mbp. Now just waiting for my ip6+ to arrive tomorrow ;) good end to the week!

dpiwwg.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.