Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
Cheer up, it will be okay. :)

Yeah, it'll be ok. You don't need full 1080p resolution, optical image stabilization, more battery life, special ios functions, or two extra speaker holes. The plain iphone 6 will be good enough for you.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I printed the cutouts and looked at my usage scenarios. The 6 Plus was just too big.

Big in the pocket, big in the hand. I use my phone one handed a lot more than I thought. And I think the reachability feature is crass.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Ditto.

I mean I think the 6+ is big, but the 6 looks small. It's not that much bigger than the 5s. Should have been 5 inches for the 6 and 5.7 for the 6+.

I agree - a 5.0-5.1 inch phone would have been perfect. When I got my 6 case, I honestly wished it was a little bigger.

I went and looked an the Samsung line and the S5 size (5.1) was perfect.

I'm on the fence right now. I'd hate to unbox my 6 and spend a year regretting not getting a larger model. I'm going to check out both models on Friday. I may wait a few days to see how the inventory looks. If supply is trickling in all next week, I'll see if I can poach a 6 Plus one day.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Dam! Im in the same situation!
I'm was about to order the +, until I ordert... I choose the 6.

I'm sure if you have an unopened iPhone 6, you can exchange it easily in store. Not sure what the inventory looks like. If you're doubting your choice now, might as well order the iPhone 6 +. The longer you wait, the longer the back of the line will be.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, it'll be ok. You don't need full 1080p resolution, optical image stabilization, more battery life, special ios functions, or two extra speaker holes. The plain iphone 6 will be good enough for you.

You know, a larger speaker is something I haven't heard anyone really mention. You could be right. If it is louder/clearer that actually would be a selling point to me.

I'm also curious if they're going with a linear oscillating vibration motor or the same old crappy one they've used since the 5.

I loved the smooth vibes of the 4S (it sounds dirty, but I really did... it was a MUCH better vibration motor in complete seriousness).

Way more concerned about those 2 things than RAM haha...

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
You know, a larger speaker is something I haven't heard anyone really mention. You could be right. If it is louder/clearer that actually would be a selling point to me.

I'm also curious if they're going with a linear oscillating vibration motor or the same old crappy one they've used since the 5.

I loved the smooth vibes of the 4S (it sounds dirty, but I really did... it was a MUCH better vibration motor in complete seriousness).

Yess the motor was way better in the 4S. Especially if you have it flat on a table or sitting on a desk

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Don't question your decision...the 6 will be a great phone! I'll break down the supposed 3 spec upgrades on the 6 Plus compared to the 6..

1. Screen resolution... In all the hands on the difference between the 2 are not even noticeable to the naked eye. The 4.7" screen does not need 1080P, all it would do is drain the battery quicker.

2. Battery life... Either way you will need to charge both phones or top them off once a day if you use them with any regularity. Even more so with the Plus because you will be tempted to watch more videos, etc on it because of the larger screen therefore draining the battery quicker. Besides, my iPhone 5's battery is fine and the 6 is even better so I'm satisfied.

3. Camera... So the Plus has IOS and yes that is a nice feature but to be honest my 5 took amazing pictures and once again Apple has improved it even further with the 6. And if I am going on vacation or somewhere where I want amazing pics I have my Sony NEX-6 for that.

In summary, these small improvements over the 6 is not worth giving up portability, better pocketability, better one handed use and just a better overall feel in the hand. The size of the 4.7 seems to be the sweet spot IMO when it comes to a phone and everyday use. I have my iPad Air when I need a "big" screen.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014

It was something I noticed in this article the other day,
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/15/iphone-6-6-plus-china-vietnam/

Not sure if the speaker is actually bigger, or just more cut outs.

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
Don't question your decision...the 6 will be a great phone! I'll break down the supposed 3 spec upgrades on the 6 Plus compared to the 6..

1. Screen resolution... In all the hands on the difference between the 2 are not even noticeable to the naked eye. The 4.7" screen does not need 1080P, all it would do is drain the battery quicker.

2. Battery life... Either way you will need to charge both phones or top them off once a day if you use them with any regularity. Even more so with the Plus because you will be tempted to watch more videos, etc on it because of the larger screen therefore draining the battery quicker. Besides, my iPhone 5's battery is fine and the 6 is even better so I'm satisfied.

3. Camera... So the Plus has IOS and yes that is a nice feature but to be honest my 5 took amazing pictures and once again Apple has improved it even further with the 6. And if I am going on vacation or somewhere where I want amazing pics I have my Sony NEX-6 for that.

In summary, these small improvements over the 6 is not worth giving up portability, better pocketability, better one handed use and just a better overall feel in the hand. The size of the 4.7 seems to be the sweet spot IMO when it comes to a phone and everyday use. I have my iPad Air when I need a "big" screen.

These are all good points. I guess I'm in the minority of folks who ordered the 6, but I still don't want a 6 Plus, even after seeing all the pictures.

Another thing I wonder: since both phones have the same hardware, yet the Plus has a larger screen and has to drive a higher-resolution/more pixels, is it safe to assume that the 6 may perform a little better given the smaller screen/lower resolution?

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
This is exactly what I did. I found the template online and printed out each size to see which one I truly wanted. Needless to say, bigger was better for me. :cool:

Glad to know I'm not alone in this nerdish move. :D Printed out the phones and even cut out cardboard for the Plus (to test pockets).

:apple:

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
I got my Apple Leather case in the mail today for my iPhone 6 that is coming on Friday. And it's really not as big as I thought it would be. I'm starting to regret not getting the 6 Plus.

Anyone else?

Exactly why I ordered the 6+, I knew I'd regret the 6 if I hadn't

----------

it's not that bad, here's a good link to give you an idea what you'll be working with , with the 6+

http://imgur.com/a/2IPjw

Could be one of the most hilarious and awesome ways to show the size, love it!

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
stop with the cutouts crap. nothing will be similar to the real deal, especially not the people holding paper cut outs. it's hilarious, most are holding these paper cutouts saying "it's not so bad!!!" but the sheer size is causing them to squeeze their hand, bending the paper and reducing the size from the sides. you can't bend metal inward so just stop.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
stop with the cutouts crap. nothing will be similar to the real deal, especially not the people holding paper cut outs. it's hilarious, most are holding these paper cutouts saying "it's not so bad!!!" but the sheer size is causing them to squeeze their hand, bending the paper and reducing the size from the sides. you can't bend metal inward so just stop.

That's why most of us used cardboard. :D

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
The funniest thing about the cutouts is that you can just go to a store to see a note 3 but us being Apple fans would rather do anything else than have to look at those things lol IRL lol.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

You still can get a general idea of how big it is going to be. It was never meant to be exact. I didn't know there was such a thing as the cut out police. Geeezz :rolleyes:

Last edited:

iPhoney Baloney

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I got my 6+ case yesterday and quickly decided the Plus is way too big to tote around comfortably. Picking up my 6 at the Apple store on Friday.:)

uchosen

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
The funniest thing about the cutouts is that you can just go to a store to see a note 3 but us being Apple fans would rather do anything else than have to look at those things lol IRL lol.

Yeah, it would give them an idea but the Plus is actually taller. I think the Plus being so thin (thinner than the 5) will make it tolerable for such a large phone.

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I wasn't squeezing mine, the cardboard I used was already slightly bent. You still can get a general idea of how big it is going to be. It was never meant to be exact. I didn't know there was such a thing as the cut out police. Geeezz :rolleyes:

the only worthwhile representation is a 3D printed mockup with exact dimensions and weight. i find it lulzy there is buyer's remorse and they don't even own the phone.

I wasn't even specifically replying to you btw

Firocity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I think we will have a better idea of how these phones are once the Review embargo is lifted tonight at 12:00 AM EST. I can guarantee you the reviewers are going to do thorough comparisons and explain the pros/cons of going with each model. I pre-ordered the 6, however a part of me wishes I ordered the 6 plus. Either way, I will exercise the return policy with AT&T or keep it.

----------

I wasn't squeezing mine, the cardboard I used was already slightly bent. You still can get a general idea of how big it is going to be. It was never meant to be exact. I didn't know there was such a thing as the cut out police. Geeezz :rolleyes:

I call a squeezing foul! You are not holding the phone right, the antenna may not work or you will bend the phone.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I think we will have a better idea of how these phones are once the Review embargo is lifted tonight at 12:00 AM EST. I can guarantee you the reviewers are going to do thorough comparisons and explain the pros/cons of going with each model. I pre-ordered the 6, however a part of me wishes I ordered the 6 plus. Either way, I will exercise the return policy with AT&T or keep it.

----------

I call a squeezing foul! You are not holding the phone right, the antenna may not work or you will bend the phone.

LOL! You might be right :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.