Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
The penalty was always there, but hidden. They're just now being honest enough to both show it and allow you ways to get out of it.

That's a good thing.

This. The new setup is somewhat better as you now are aware of what portion of your bill is paying for hardware. And once the hardware is paid off, you get a discount. This was not the case in the past. People would go years paying the higher rate plan without taking advantage of their upgrade, essentially over paying.

potaco

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Isn't the monthly discount something you have to request when you're eligible? The reason I ask is because my father has been out of contract since 08 with ATT and he pays the same monthly $35 as my sister and I who are under contract. He never received an automatic discount. I just upgraded to the iP6+ with his 2 yr contract eligibility so I assume he'll just keep paying the same $35 monthly, right?

The monthly discount is only applicable to the newer Mobile Share Value Plans. The older plans have fixed monthly service costs, regardless of whether you are on or off contract.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Isn't the monthly discount something you have to request when you're eligible? The reason I ask is because my father has been out of contract since 08 with ATT and he pays the same monthly $35 as my sister and I who are under contract. He never received an automatic discount. I just upgraded to the iP6+ with his 2 yr contract eligibility so I assume he'll just keep paying the same $35 monthly, right?
How are you paying just $35/mo per line for service with an iPhone (I'm assuming that's total)? That's a pretty darned good deal. :eek:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
On 2-year contracts, you don't get a monthly discount, ever. If you don't upgrade your phone when 2-year contract is up, you keep paying the same high price (as if you had upgraded).

With Next/Edge, your phone will always have a monthly service charge ($15/month, if you're on a plan with 10GB+ of data), and then it may have an additional monthly device charge (which is basically a 0% interest finance plan that you pay monthly until your phone is paid off). When that's paid off, that charge goes away. But your service charge still stays $15/month.

CardMeHD

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Next doesn't require you to give the phone back. Once you pay it off, it's yours to keep. To can resell if for whatever amount you want. You can run it over with you car if you'd like. Then you can enroll in the Next program again.

Please educate yourself before you pass off information as fact.

Well, none of them require you to give it back if you complete all 20/24 payments, because obviously you own it at that point. But that defeats the purpose of the program, which is to upgrade every year. I was referring to the fact that you have to trade it in if you upgrade before you've made all 20/24 installments (or whatever is the case for your plan).

For example, on Verizon, an iPhone costs $32.50/month for 20 months, and you have to make at least 12 payments (60% of the cost of the phone). That means you've paid $390 for the phone, then you trade it in and the rest is waived. So essentially, Verizon is paying you $260 for your 1 year old iPhone (since it would have cost $650 new). By comparison, a 16GB Verizon iPhone 5S is selling on eBay right now for anywhere between $350-$500 depending on condition (I haven't seen any below $330 without a cracked screen or bad ESN/stolen). So you would have just been better off buying it off contract for $650 then sell it after a year for let's say $400... you would've been out $250 net instead of $390 under Verizon's plan. And AT&T's prices are almost identical.

Now, if you were buying a Samsung/LG/HTC, the math works out much more in your favor since the resale value of those phones after 1 year on eBay is much lower than an iPhone. But this is the iPhone forum, so it makes sense to use those numbers, does it not?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For example, on Verizon, an iPhone costs $32.50/month for 20 months, and you have to make at least 12 payments (60% of the cost of the phone). That means you've paid $390 for the phone, then you trade it in and the rest is waived. So essentially, Verizon is paying you $260 for your 1 year old iPhone (since it would have cost $650 new). By comparison, a 16GB Verizon iPhone 5S is selling on eBay right now for anywhere between $350-$500 depending on condition (I haven't seen any below $330 without a cracked screen or bad ESN/stolen). So you would have just been better off buying it off contract for $650 then sell it after a year for let's say $400... you would've been out $250 net instead of $390 under Verizon's plan. And AT&T's prices are almost identical.
You do realize you could always pay off the EDGE/NEXT installment plan early, unlock the phones if AT&T, and then sell on ebay or CL for $400-500, right?

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ok cool. Thanks for clearing that up for me Potaco and Aristobrat. And rui no onna, I wasn't including the data plan charge. I wish it was that cheap for the iPhone, ha.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The way I understand it is this:

If you are on the Mobile Share Plan you have two options:

1) BYOD. Bring Your Own Device. Then, the line cost is $15.

2) Purchase a new iPhone for $199 (iPhone 6). Then, your line costs moves from $15 to $15 + something like $26.99 per month.

Essentially you are financing your phone. They have pushed the full cost of the device to you.
For folks on 10GB plans, after two years, the costs are about the same. To me, the big difference is that with NEXT, you don't have to drop $199 up-front when you upgrade. And folks that upgrade yearly with NEXT don't have to drop $649 up-front to upgrade mid-contract, like they do on 2-year contracts.

NEXT:
$360 = monthly service ($15/month x 24 months)
$000 = up-front phone cost
$649 = monthly phone payments ($27/month x 24 months)
-----------
$1,009 (after two years)

2-YEAR CONTRACT:
$960 = monthly service ($40/month x 24 months)
$199 = up-front phone cost
$000 = monthly phone payments (it's bundled in the price of the monthly service)
--------
$1,159 (after two years)

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Folks on 2 year contracts, it's only worth going to Next/Jump if you are sharing more than 10gb. Otherwise the contract pricing is more attractive. For AT&T/Next I agree they are trying to play both sides. They seperate the service cost from the device cost but then give you a discount on service cost if you use the Next plan. I think if its $15/line why does it matter if its next or not. The real reason is that the additional $25/mo charge on service is really just a form of the Next subsidation on the phone you buy from them but that continues indefinitely. In fact they should still keep the cost at $15/line regardless if you get it thru a 2 year contract price or thru next or BYO and then they should show an additional $25/month fee for Phone subsidation charge. THen i think it would be more clear.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
One thing that is a farce in the US market is the fixed pricing of a handset, no matter the plan you choose.

For example, lets say I sign up to the 20GB data plan overseas, the carrier would give me a huge discount on the handset if not offer it for free.

Whereas, no matter how much you commit to a carrier here a year, the cost of the handset is the same.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
You do realize you could always pay off the EDGE/NEXT installment plan early, unlock the phones if AT&T, and then sell on ebay or CL for $400-500, right?

What you're saying is true, but given that the majority of 5S are only getting around $400 or so for their phones (Many braggers here claiming they got $500-$600 on their 5S are conveniently leaving out the fact that ebay + paypal + shipping fees are more than 10% and they sold it to a overseas buyer - VERY RISKY! or have stupid friends/coworkers/family members who are paying them top dollar for their used device) and with craigslist you run the risk of being mugged, I'd rather take the $100 hit and just let ATT deal with it. What's even worse is sending it to Gazelle! :eek:

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Next is also significantly cheaper if you plan to swap out your phone within 12 months. Lets calculate the price excluding the data component, which is the same for all types of plans.

iPhone 6 16gb - 12 month purchase

AT&T less than 10GB

Next 12
$0 = Initial Payment
$389.4 = Handset Payments ($32 * 12)
$0 = Activation Fee
$300 = Service Fee ($25*12) - save on taxes too
$0 = Disconnection Fee
——————————
$689.4 == Total

Contract
$199 = Initial Payment
$0 = Handset Payments
$40 = Activation / Upgrade Fee
$480 = Service Fee ($40*12) + extra taxes on the extra $15 per month
$205 = Disconnection Fee + extra taxes
——————————
$924 == Total

AT&T more than 10GB

Next 12
$0 = Initial Payment
$389.4 = Handset Payments ($32 * 12)
$0 = Activation Fee
$180 = Service Fee ($15*12) - save on taxes too
$0 = Disconnection Fee
——————————
$569.4 == Total

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What you're saying is true, but given that the majority of 5S are only getting around $400 or so for their phones (Many braggers here claiming they got $500-$600 on their 5S are conveniently leaving out the fact that ebay + paypal + shipping fees are more than 10% and they sold it to a overseas buyer - VERY RISKY! or have stupid friends/coworkers/family members who are paying them top dollar for their used device) and with craigslist you run the risk of being mugged, I'd rather take the $100 hit and just let ATT deal with it. What's even worse is sending it to Gazelle! :eek:
Yeah, that's true. Personally, I don't sell my devices. They get handed down to family members or I keep them for use as backup or for overseas travel (with local SIM).

potaco

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
For folks on 10GB plans, after two years, the costs are about the same. To me, the big difference is that with NEXT, you don't have to drop $199 up-front when you upgrade. And folks that upgrade yearly with NEXT don't have to drop $649 up-front to upgrade mid-contract, like they do on 2-year contracts.

NEXT:
$360 = monthly service ($15/month x 24 months)
$000 = up-front phone cost
$649 = monthly phone payments ($27/month x 24 months)
$052 = sales tax on full amount (estimated at 8%)
-----------
$1,061 (after two years)

2-YEAR CONTRACT:
$960 = monthly service ($40/month x 24 months)
$199 = up-front phone cost
$000 = monthly phone payments (it's bundled in the price of the monthly service)
$016 = sales tax on subsidized price (estimated at 8%) (some states tax full value)
$040 = upgrade fee (potentially waived)
--------
$1,215 (after two years)

A few minor changes (sales tax and upgrade fee). Overall, AT&T Next still comes out ahead by about $150, you pay less up front, and you have additional flexibility. If you're on a 10GB plan, there's really no reason to go back on-contract.

Phonesurfer

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
What if you are on the mobile value share family plan for, say, 10gb per month. You have an older iphone no longer in contract that you want to upgrade to the iphone 6. Instead of going on the next plan and 'renting to own' at the full cost of the iphone 6 over the 24 months, you instead buy an unlocked iphone 6 at full cost up front and replace your old iphone with the new iphone 6 and using it in its place... (Same line)... . Wouldn't the monthly mobile value share plan cost stay the same? Is there any benefits that the"next" plan has over this, other than convenience? (assuming that you can purchase a truly unlocked phone to begin with...)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
One thing that is a farce in the US market is the fixed pricing of a handset, no matter the plan you choose.

For example, lets say I sign up to the 20GB data plan overseas, the carrier would give me a huge discount on the handset if not offer it for free.

Whereas, no matter how much you commit to a carrier here a year, the cost of the handset is the same.
When I check plans on UK websites (going to UK in Dec to catch some arsenal games) I noticed that you could get a newly released smartphone like the iPhone for free depending on your monthly bill.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What if you are on the mobile value share family plan for, say, 10gb per month. You have an older iphone no longer in contract that you want to upgrade to the iphone 6. Instead of going on the next plan and 'renting to own' at the full cost of the iphone 6 over the 24 months, you instead buy an unlocked iphone 6 at full cost up front and replace your old iphone with the new iphone 6 and using it in its place... (Same line)... . Wouldn't the monthly mobile value share plan cost stay the same? Is there any benefits that the"next" plan has over this, other than convenience? (assuming that you can purchase a truly unlocked phone to begin with...)
Again, Next is just 0% financing. Compared to buying outright, the only benefit is with regards to opportunity cost and time value of money.

----------

When I check plans on UK websites (going to UK in Dec to catch some arsenal games) I noticed that you could get a newly released smartphone like the iPhone for free depending on your monthly bill.
That's the case in most countries. The system in the US is weird in that it only offers fixed subsidies. To me, it makes more sense that the more you spend per month, the bigger the subsidy you'll get.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
A few minor changes (sales tax and upgrade fee). Overall, AT&T Next still comes out ahead by about $150, you pay less up front, and you have additional flexibility. If you're on a 10GB plan, there's really no reason to go back on-contract.

Yes and you get free Hot Spot with your iPhone not so with contract. I use it for my iPad every day.:)

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
You may not have noticed it but the bill did go up for every smartphone you got. The increase was likely done just a little bit at a time.

For mine, it was as follows:

4x dumbphone
700 minutes 4 lines: $90
4x 200 messaging plan: $20
TOTAL: $110 (2 years: $2,640)

iPhone (original) + 3x dumbphone
3x 200 messages: $15
1x iPhone plan (unlimited data + 1000 messages): $20
TOTAL: $125 (2 years: $3,000)

iPhone 3GS + 3x dumbphone
4x 200 messages: $20
1x unlimited data: $30
TOTAL: $140 (2 years: $3,360)

iPhone 4 + iPhone 3GS + 2x dumbphone
4x 200 messages: $20
1x unlimited data: $30
1x 2GB: $25
TOTAL: $165 (2 years: $3,960)

2x iPhone 5 + iPhone 4S + iPhone 4
unlimited messages: $30
1x 4GB w/tether: $45
1x 2GB: $25
1x 3GB: $30
1x 300MB: $20
TOTAL: $240 (2 years: $5,760)

Mother of God... you should check out Sprint if you're interested in saving some money lol.

That is, if there's good coverage where you're at.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Mother of God... you should check out Sprint if you're interested in saving some money lol.

That is, if there's good coverage where you're at.
Nah, I already switched to the Mobile Share Value 10GB so now it's just $160/mo for service for 4 lines ($40/line). I've already looked at Sprint before and they're maybe just $10 cheaper than AT&T so not much savings, really plus I'd need to replace all of our phones. T-Mobile, I was strongly considering but their coverage just wasn't available where I needed it.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
We have Next and Jump.
And we can buy outright, and get significant discount.
It's not much different. People here in the US are stupid, and don't research their options.

I would agree with this.

So tired of people thinking they were getting a phone for a few hundred bucks. How stupid can they be?

Sorry.. stupid question. This board is full of stupid people.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Decided to do a summary of my bill increases for simplicity.

4x dumbphone (base)
TOTAL: $110 (2 years: $2,640)

1x iPhone + 3x dumbphone (start of subsidized iPhones)
TOTAL: $140 (2 years: $3,360) or $720 more than base

2x iPhone + 2x dumbphone
TOTAL: $165 (2 years: $3,960) or $1,320 more than base ($660/iPhone)

4x iPhone
TOTAL: $240 (2 years: $5,760) or $3,120 more than base ($780/iPhone)

To anyone who thinks AT&T isn't charging you for that "discounted" iPhone on the old subsidy model, you're freakin' dreamin'.

Phonesurfer

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
put this on another thread in response to poster who thought "next" would keep their monthly fees the same forever... Per at&t "Monthly installment charges are determined by the full retail price of the smartphone divided by 20 monthly payments (AT&T Next 12) or 24 monthly payments (AT&T Next 18)." " Upgrade Option: Req's payment of 12 installments on 20 mth agmt/ 18 installments on 24 mth agmt, acct in good standing, trade-in of your financed device in good condition, & purchase of new elig. device w/qual. wireless svc. After upgrade, unbilled installments are waived. Coverage & svcs not avail. everywhere. Other restr's apply & may result in svc termination. ..". Sounds good, but what the terms/price are of the new contract is whatever they want it to be... so, you can upgrade early, with the old fees waived, but then you either accept whatever new price/ terms on the new contract they have, or what? Hang in there with your old phone and continue the final payments.... ??? So naturally as someone who wants early upgrades, you will be inclined to accept whatever terms/price they put in front of you for the new phone... As opposed to having a contract free phone with the freedom to switch....

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
so, you can upgrade early, with the old fees waived, but then you either accept whatever new price/ terms on the new contract they have, or what? Hang in there with your old phone and continue the final payments.... ??? So naturally as someone who wants early upgrades, you will be inclined to accept whatever terms/price they put in front of you for the new phone... As opposed to having a contract free phone with the freedom to switch....
Then pay in full for your phone, unlock it and switch to a different carrier. Again, Next is just 0% financing. Pay off the balance and the phone is yours and you're under no obligation to stay with AT&T. Once you've paid off your Next phone, it'll just as flexible as the GSM factory unlocked model.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Once you find the extra monthly costs involved, I don't get why this is such a thing. AT&T charges an extra $15 or $25 per month if you're on a two-year contract for a phone discount, depending on the type of plan you have. In short, I think it's about even to go to a contract when it's $15 more but way cheaper if it's $25 more.

There are a lot of misconceptions as if all of a sudden you're paying $450 more for the phone. The carriers have always made their money back when giving you a discount. Now it's just a lot more transparent. I have a friend who got sticker shock from me telling him the phone cost $650. Well, my bill is also only about $30 more than his for three iPhones and 10GB vs. his with one iPhone, one basic phone and an iPad with 2GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.