Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Hi Guys,
I m planning to install windows 8 on my late 2012 27" iMac, i read online that people have over heating issues with their macs when gaming via bootcamp. Is that true & is there any issue i should be worried about? The new slim late 2012 iMacs are suppose to be better in cooling, anyone with these new slim iMacs can give me feedback? are the new iMacs handling the gaming via bootcamp better then the old ones? is there any safety precaution i should take like placing a external usb fan near the iMac? feedback would be great.

Thanks.

pslambe

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Sydney
Running Windows 8 on an iMac

Hi Guys,
I m planning to install windows 8 on my late 2012 27" iMac, i read online that people have over heating issues with their macs when gaming via bootcamp. Is that true & is there any issue i should be worried about? The new slim late 2012 iMacs are suppose to be better in cooling, anyone with these new slim iMacs can give me feedback? are the new iMacs handling the gaming via bootcamp better then the old ones? is there any safety precaution i should take like placing a external usb fan near the iMac? feedback would be great.

Thanks.

I have got Windows 8.1 running on my iMac Core i7-2600 in UEFI mode. There are no over heating issues but there are other issues.
I can not get audio to work. I have tried various drivers to no avail.
Windows 8.1 persists in booting in a restricted mode and only uses 4GB of my 16GB ram.
Everything else works but these two issues have taken much time to resolve, and I am still going.

You might have more success just doing a regular BootCamp install, where Mac OS X installs Windows on a Hybrid mbr partition it creates on your internal drive.
I am trying to run Windows from a Thunderbolt drive without an MBR.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
I have got Windows 8.1 running on my iMac Core i7-2600 in UEFI mode. There are no over heating issues but there are other issues.
I can not get audio to work. I have tried various drivers to no avail.
Windows 8.1 persists in booting in a restricted mode and only uses 4GB of my 16GB ram.
Everything else works but these two issues have taken much time to resolve, and I am still going.

You might have more success just doing a regular BootCamp install, where Mac OS X installs Windows on a Hybrid mbr partition it creates on your internal drive.
I am trying to run Windows from a Thunderbolt drive without an MBR.
is ur iMac the new slim one?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.