Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluestarCVO

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Anyone had any luck getting wake on lan to work? I've tried several different things with no luck. I have it enabled in energy saving preferences, but still no luck. Any time it's asleep I cannot wake it up with other computers or with apps on my iPhone such as team viewer, or even the Wake on Lan app. I've done a lot of searching and it seems others have the same problem. Some have found solutions, most have not. I've tried the various solutions but none have worked for me. I really want to be able to let the computer sleep as it uses much less power than when it is only idling. It is a late 2012 iMac running the latest version of Mavericks. I am on wifi, although I have also attempted to test this with ethernet as well with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
What does this do?

Sets wake on magic packet to true. That's how wake on lan works, a targeted magic packet is sent by one device, and if the target computer is listening, interested and sleeping, it wakes.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Sets wake on magic packet to true. That's how wake on lan works, a targeted magic packet is sent by one device, and if the target computer is listening, interested and sleeping, it wakes.

How would one get those packets sent over to the desired machine?

jeanjeudi

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2004
Landsberg - Germany
Wake on Lan

Is it possible to use wake on lan to wake up a switched off computer? Or is this only possible from a "sleeping" computer?
Is there any workaround known to make it possible to wake up my switched off computer?
Thanks!

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
No, you can't use WOL for that. You would need additional electronics that connect to the power switch header on the motherboard. So, it's possible, but it's nontrivial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.