Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avfciphonedon

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I've seen poor screen quality on apple products before most noticeable on refurbished devices but a few new ones.

My current 5S is a refurb and from some angles I can literally see the spaces between the pixels and it affects the quality of even the time at the top of the screen. I've had a refurb like this before as well. Never doing refurb again although I always look after the phone just always a niggle or two that forces you to genius bar

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Wow it's been so long and still people are posting in this thread with issues. Truly sad, I quit along time ago hahahah. Just returned that piece of crap.

I remember when this thread was just getting started. If you're having problems with one I recommend just getting a refund. The return cycle isn't worth it. I only went through like 2 or 3 and even that was a waste of time and resources.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
iPad Air 2 Screen

The iPad Air 2 screen is gorgeous. I do not see the dreaded "bookspine" shadow, yellow discoloration or general blotchy unevenness.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I am not seeing any issues with mine no yellowing know the blotchiness nothing it looks perfect white and a beautiful balance of color

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
My Air 2 screen is lovely in terms of tone and evenness but it has a dreaded dead pixel. Back it goes.

devouredsouls

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
7+ replacement iPad 4s due to uneven tinting, dead pixels, and dirt. Found someone on ebay selling a BRAND NEW iPad Air 1st gen 32gb for 414$ shipped. Took a chance. Got it today expecting the worst, but i found a pleasant surprise. 99% uniform screen, no bleeding whatsoever, no dead pixels. I got lucky :D SO now I only have to get my iphone replaced this weekend and I'll be set! (iPhone 6 screen issues are gonna be the death of me)

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
I had got two iPad Air 1's, had just got Air 2 that had a slight tint that made screen not so pleasing to look at.
Returned it. Full story at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6662170

I expect great quality on premium tablets.... :(

The screen looked pretty evenly tinted, which makes it a keeper in my book. (Coincidentally, it looked more accurate than the bluish displays on either side of it.) Every display is different - and every display's color will shift over time. Short of allowing us to calibrate the screens, there's no way Apple could afford to custom calibrate every screen - well, they could afford it, but it would make the iPad cost twice as much.

GalFriday

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Northeast US
I recant every word. After a few iPad Air 2 units with backlight bleed and screen distortion on every one, I returned my Air 2 for a refund.

I'm sure Apple is happy you've moved on. You're way too picky-sounds like you're one of those people who isn't happy unless you can find something to complain about, even if it means creating imaginary flaws. I have the iPad Air and the screen is gorgeous and perfect.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I'm sure Apple is happy you've moved on. You're way too picky-sounds like you're one of those people who isn't happy unless you can find something to complain about, even if it means creating imaginary flaws. I have the iPad Air and the screen is gorgeous and perfect.

GalFriday, it’s sheep-like people like you who will go along with anything and will pay any amount of money blindly. Apple loves sheep customers like you.

The backlight bleed problem is quite real as are the touch points on the back of the iPad Air 2 units that cause screen distortion. Why would I pay over $830 for a tablet that should be better than this?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Maybe your air is perfect, but the person was talking about air2 and I haven't yet seen a good screen (been looking for one to buy). My air was ok (the screen - ok but not perfect either), but it had other issues... I don't understand people who will pay a premium price just to get **** and are happy about it.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
Maybe your air is perfect, but the person was talking about air2 and I haven't yet seen a good screen (been looking for one to buy). My air was ok (the screen - ok but not perfect either), but it had other issues... I don't understand people who will pay a premium price just to get **** and are happy about it.

mrex, I totally agree. I expect excellence and high quality from Apple’s premium priced devices.

lucynethel

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2014
Oceanside, California
Returned TWO now

mrex, I totally agree. I expect excellence and high quality from Apple’s premium priced devices.

So sad but I have now returned 2 new Air 2 128 GB iPads. First one had production date of Oct, the other was December so thought it would be perfect. Both had the big black blotches but with my URBAN ARMOR GEAR Folio Case iPad Air 2, Red/Black on, it never presented any problem, even if I TRIED.

But the sound! My GOD the sound. It was so tinny it even at 100% full volume sounded like a set of ear buds when they get just about 1/2 inch from being inserted into your ear. Then, when in portrait mode, you press HARD on both sides of the power on/off button and sound would BOOM to life with rich, full sound with nice bass. I am sadly disabled and for $750..00 with tax here in San Diego I refuse to not have sound on an iPad or any other device at that price.

I LOVED them both, it breaks my heart they were duds. Now my trusty iPad 4 looks like an old washed up geezer just like me:-( But after all this, I think I will buy a new Macbook Pro with Retina display and then also buy the new iPad Pro 12 or 14 inch tablet in a couple months when they release it.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
So sad but I have now returned 2 new Air 2 128 GB iPads. First one had production date of Oct, the other was December so thought it would be perfect. Both had the big black blotches but with my URBAN ARMOR GEAR Folio Case iPad Air 2, Red/Black on, it never presented any problem, even if I TRIED.

But the sound! My GOD the sound. It was so tinny it even at 100% full volume sounded like a set of ear buds when they get just about 1/2 inch from being inserted into your ear. Then, when in portrait mode, you press HARD on both sides of the power on/off button and sound would BOOM to life with rich, full sound with nice bass. I am sadly disabled and for $750..00 with tax here in San Diego I refuse to not have sound on an iPad or any other device at that price.

I LOVED them both, it breaks my heart they were duds. Now my trusty iPad 4 looks like an old washed up geezer just like me:-( But after all this, I think I will buy a new Macbook Pro with Retina display and then also buy the new iPad Pro 12 or 14 inch tablet in a couple months when they release it.

I know. It’s a real shame that Apple has lost a great deal of quality control. It is indeed evident in the iPad Air 2, with the design flaws of screen distortion, annoying sound vibration and various screen discoloration. These are real problems that need to be fixed by the Apple quality control team.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
These issues are maybe present just in some units, so they are not design flaws.
About sound quality, well, I'm not expecting that from internal speakers. If you are looking for sound quality, you'd better buy a good pair of earbuds or a good external speaker.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
These issues are maybe present just in some units, so they are not design flaws.
About sound quality, well, I'm not expecting that from internal speakers. If you are looking for sound quality, you'd better buy a good pair of earbuds or a good external speaker.

They are indeed design flaws, at the least, poor design features. EVERY Air 2 I have owned (I have owned several) have had these problems. It is clearly not “some units”. We have to agree to disagree.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
They are indeed design flaws, at the least, poor design features. EVERY Air 2 I have owned (I have owned several) have had these problems. It is clearly not “some units”. We have to agree to disagree.

I agree that YOU find defects on your "several" iPads.... Which I can't clearly check, being yours.
I didn't find any on SEVERAL units I checked.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I agree that YOU find defects on your "several" iPads.... Which I can't clearly check, being yours.
I didn't find any on SEVERAL units I checked.

I completely stand by my statements of the iPad Air 2 design flaws and defects. Again, we just have to agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.