Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm not bashing Apple or the iPhone. Simply saying if they didn't focus on saving every single cent they could they could have an even better cost for minimal loss in profit margin. Given Apple's buying power I doubt it would cost much more than $3 to double the memory.

Kind of amazing that you're not the CEO then, since you seem so certain you could do a much better job.

Not buying any of this. Sorry. Especially that status nonsense. Your Beats example is particularly weak. If you want to show status Beats aren't the phones you buy. If you want to show status buying the most popular phone on the planet probably isn't going to be your first choice either.

applecrazychic

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
The iPhone 6 was not a huge update as they were making it seem like.
Very disappointing spec update for such a super hyped device.
They could easily had put 2GB of RAM and for the 6S they could just put 4 core processor. But why only give it 1GB in late 2014? and then also still have 16GB of Memory.
Apple is already super rich and they value their profit more than fans..
Just like how they will charge $350 for a watch with limited features.

This is not the Apple I am proud of...
Steve Jobs would not had let all this pricing insane. Besides I am pretty sure Steve would had demanded 2GB of RAM. He would not had liked Safari reloading so easily after 3 tabs.

My huge rant.
I hope Apple reads this somehow... I am not happy that they are treating their loyal long time fans like trash.

Lol go away, the sold around 4 million phones in the first 24 hours of presales, sure that don't care about this post.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Kind of amazing that you're not the CEO then, since you seem so certain you could do a much better job.

Not buying any of this. Sorry. Especially that status nonsense. Your Beats example is particularly weak. If you want to show status Beats aren't the phones you buy. If you want to show status buying the most popular phone on the planet probably isn't going to be your first choice either.

ok, keep telling yourself everyone is buying iPhones because it's just the best phone out there. Which I agree it is. I am a huge Apple fanboy but these things are massive status symbols. So are Beats. Evidently you don't have kids in public school.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
ok, keep telling yourself everyone is buying iPhones because it's just the best phone out there. Which I agree it is. I am a huge Apple fanboy but these things are massive status symbols. So are Beats. Evidently you don't have kids in public school.

Right. YOU buy it because it's the best, but everyone else? THEY buy it because they're just loathsome status seekers.

Get out of town with that blatant nonsense.

(PS: most "status seekers" aren't in public high schools. This may be key to figuring out the flaw in your thesis.)

----------

You answered your questions. Apple fans are royal, that's why

We're royal? The king is dead! Long live the king!

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Right. YOU buy it because it's the best, but everyone else? THEY buy it because they're just loathsome status seekers.

Get out of town with that blatant nonsense.

(PS: most "status seekers" aren't in public high schools. This may be key to figuring out the flaw in your thesis.)

----------

The point was it sells them a lot of phones, no need to take it personal. We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Harvey Specter

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Portland, Oregon
I don't get all the bitching about another gig of ram, I don't mind having to refresh Safari here and there. I've used my iPhone 5S for a year and have had zero performance issues with it thus far.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Once again, tries to spin one comment with the next, but can't address the initial comment or the thread topic being discussed.

How is that 2GB in your PLUS treating you? LOL!

Spin the comment? Dude, you need to improve your reading comprehension skills. And to chill. Insulting people on Internet boards is bad mojo.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Bigger screens and higher resolutions. Better processor. Better graphics chip. Better coprocessor. Upgraded to wireless AC. NFC added. 128GB option now available.

Those sound like multiple significant updates to me. Exactly what more did you expect? What Android device had bigger upgrades from their last device? Compare the Note 3 to the Note 4. That upgrade isn't nearly more meaty than the iPhone 5s to the 6 is.

I don't understand exactly what you expected. Mind link? Built in transporter? Quantum processor? Its only been a year. There's only so much more you can add to a device and keep it the same size and same battery length.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
The S variants have typically sported more impressive spec bumps while non S are focused more on design/engineering. Nothing different here.

iPhone 5 offered 2x in CPU and GPU over 4s, just as 5s did (over 5).
The iPhone 5 though, got more RAM as well.

----------

They could easily had put 2GB of RAM and for the 6S they could just put 4 core processor. But why only give it 1GB in late 2014? and then also still have 16GB of Memory.

Steve Jobs would not had let all this pricing insane. Besides I am pretty sure Steve would had demanded 2GB of RAM. He would not had liked Safari reloading so easily after 3 tabs.

My huge rant.
I hope Apple reads this somehow... I am not happy that they are treating their loyal long time fans like trash.

Let me remind you of iPad 1 and its anemic 256 MB of RAM :rolleyes:

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012

Is that why they started making macs in America, and why they are the only company of their kind that has their tech support in the states and not India, and why they have the best standard warranty, along with Apple Care and Apple Stores supplementing support for their products?

If they valued profit more, they'd be subsidizing the cost of their phones by allowing a bunch of crapware preinstalled on their phones like Android. Outsourcing their support to India to save money. Using plastic enclosures instead of aluminum.

Profit is essential to every business, and it's a demand they have to meet on behalf of their shareholders alone. But Apple stands behind their product more than other brands do. Ever have to RMA and ship a defective android phone? Not fun.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Do people ever stop to consider that perhaps the reason that some other companies hype so much about RAM, etc., is because they need those specs in order to stay competitive with Apple?

Apple doesn't sell products as much as they do experiences. I've been a voluntary Mac user since 1991, and much of that time also an involuntary Windows user. No doubt that there are some flexibilities that Windows offers over the Apple OS that sometimes I miss, but the overall experience of using a Mac vs. PC is a hands-down win for Mac, IMO.

I see the iOS line the same way. The overall experience of iOS is far better than anything I've known/seen on other platforms. The one blight on the Apple record for me is the constant refreshing of Safari. If that's because of RAM, then Apple should address that. Even still, fluidity of the OS, the cross-platform integration of information and media, and the simple smooth design of Apple products offers me a very rewarding experience that to date I would not even consider trading for another lineup.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
If you can't make your point without a "Steve would not have..." then you don't actually have a point at all.

The fact is the no one knows what Jobs would do in any situation. But if I had to pick someone likely to guess correctly, I'd go with Tim Cook and Jonathan Ive than someone ranting on a message board

Surely. Not to mention that Steve liked profit too, more than most. In fact, he didn't really push a lot of specs at all within Apple. It's doubtful he'd be big on "adding more RAM" when he was the one that made Apple very anti-spec heavy and more about the artistry of the device.

For the OP: A larger screen size is a worthwhile update as well as a little step up for the price. The 6s will have great spec upgrades I am mostly sure of (they usually do).

bigthanbigger

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
apple is riches but cheapest ... you can tell on iphone 6 plus ....

why 5.5 inch ,,,,,, they want all customer from samsung jump to apple
why 4.7 design 2 line like htc ........ they want all customer from htc jump to apple

it call ........ 1 rock throwing 2 bird ........

i think ,,, steve jobs make product more technology than cook ,,,,,

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
As an Apple shareholder, I want them to maximize profits. You might be upset today but you're still buying the phone aren't you? So long as customers aren't actually driven to another phone, I could care less when people get them or how upset loyalists are (even as a loyalist myself).

Its a business, not a fan club. The entire reason that loyal fans are valuable to a business is that you won't be driven away by minor annoyances.

Last edited:

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
If you don't like a particular company's goal of making money, create your own competing product and give it away. That'll teach 'em.

Companies exist to make a profit. They can't survive without it. They owe you nothing. But it's also a rather symbiotic relationship that exists between a company and the consumer. We need THEM to create, manufacture and sell the product that we want, and they need US to purchase their products so they can continue to make a profit.

Capitalism. How does it work again?

MacinTosh.0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Just another DBZmusicboy01 senseless thread. You want 2GB of RAM, go to another brand. Apple isn't in the charity business. You should really read your posts before you submit it.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

My huge rant.

Why not 1TB of storage? 16GB of RAM?

Hell, why not a diamond encrusted solid platinum shell???

Stockholders. Apple doesn't answer to the "gimme gimme" consumers. It's the "gimme gimme" stockholders.

Don't like it? I'd play a song on my tiny electronic violin, but I'm out of RAM...

Tedsallis

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Apple is not an organized religion or non profit organization.

My huge rant.

Your sense of entitlement is showing.:rolleyes:

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
SNIP

My huge rant.

Are you buying a new iPhone 6/6Plus?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.