Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah and even the *Macworld* staff are openly drooling about it... Honestly I always figured anything sharper than the Note 3 level of HD would be just a waste of pixels, but their comments tipped the scale and now I really want to see for myself what this is all about.
Can't wait to get my hands on it.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I am in same situation except I need 128 GB minimum.
I will also consider LG G3 as its price may drop within few weeks.

Haven't looked through the entire thread, so someone might have mentioned it. But I'm pretty sure a 128 GB micro sd card will work. It works in the Note 3.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Physical home button and touch ID will be their Achilles heel as far as shrinking down the top and bottom bezels. They could shrink the top, but it might make the phone look really funny.

Yep. And I really can't think of a way for them to get around that. So much of their product/brand identity is in that button. I mean, these things would not look like iPhones without the button. So I'm not blaming them for their choice here really... A more reasonably sized 6 Plus with no home button might sell well to geeks but I think it'd seriously dent the incredible stability of their so meticulously crafted brand identity.

Actually it is precisely in this that a large part of my disappointment lies. Precisely because the parameters for their physical design is so set in stone, they had a huge opportunity to impress using software features that'd make up for the awkward size. But what did they come up with? Having the whole screen slide down to half with the double-press. A pretty crude solution honestly, and the only one at that.

I guess I was hoping for stuff like: sensors detecting when you're using one hand only and then elegantly shrinking/adjusting the keyboard to the corresponding side, templates for dynamic app controls/buttons that could move automatically closer to the thumb at the right time, customisable buttons/more functions in Control Center, gesture commands, slide/cursor commands for the home button...etc. Just some clever, innovative solutions. The kind of solutions that Apple are famous for! But maybe they'll come up with more stuff like that further down the line.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
The iPhone 6 and iOS 8 is about 2 years behind Google OS (Android 4.4). As far as looks, my 1-year old Note 3 looks a bit better than this toy-looking iPhone 6 Plus. Just my 2 cents.

For the record, I bought my wife an iPhone 6 and have been tinkering with it for the last day. Same, limited OS. Nothing about it would make me switch.

Attachments

• note 3 iphone 6.jpg
    note 3 iphone 6.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 129

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The iPhone 6 and iOS 8 is about 2 years behind Google OS (Android 4.4). As far as looks, my 1-year old Note 3 looks a bit better than this toy-looking iPhone 6 Plus. Just my 2 cents.

For the record, I bought my wife an iPhone 6 and have been tinkering with it for the last day. Same, limited OS. Nothing about it would make me switch.

So display wise note 3 and new iphone are about the same to you do you think?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Colors pop more on the Note 3. Can't imagine how the Note 4 will compare.

iPhone 6+ is fine for many users. But once you have something like the Note 3/4, there's no going back, IMO

Agreed too, no way could I ever go back until apple add what I have on my note. Counting down the days for the note 4 to be in my hands.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

I appreciate the quality build and all that, but my gosh those bezels on the Plus look big enough to set down my coffee and a sandwich on while checking emails for breakfast :eek:

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
I appreciate the quality build and all that, but my gosh those bezels on the Plus look big enough to set down my coffee and a sandwich on while checking emails for breakfast :eek:
Lol

Those bezels are really looking hilarious...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Well, unless they decide to ditch Touch ID, those bezels aren't going anywhere. Yes they could shave a few mm off the top but I'm sure Apple prefers a symmetrical look and doing so wouldn't make the device any more usable as you have no need to reach past the top of the display.

I personally love the added security provided by Touch ID and IMO, the tradeoff in size is worth it.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Its been about 2.5 years since I left the iPhone and if I recall I was really bored with iOS at the time. I imagine I will still feel the same if I went back but I'm tempted to go to the Apple store to check out the new phone just to see it.
But hate the thought of dealing with the crowds right now.
Will wait a few weeks and see the phones in person to see if it may change my mind.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Lol

Those bezels are really looking hilarious...

I can't believe how hideous those bezels look. They look even worse next to the Note 3. It just doesn't look like something that would come out of Apple, but I suppose this is the "new" Apple with designs like this and the apple watch. I wish there was an offset, like the ip6 is ugly but has the most advanced OS, or even iOS is ancient but the hardware is beautiful. Unfortunately it's just outdated hardware and an overly simplistic OS which would leave me with no redeeming features to buy one.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

Hate to say it, but that ugly fake chrome rim makes the Note 3 look like a toy

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

You can't make claims like that and then post that picture. You can't. The iPhone 6+ looks 100x more premium device. As mentioned above, the Note 3 looks like a toy with that ring around the outside.

Also, the Note 3 won't be supported on anything after Android Lion anyway, or if it is, it won't get it until Marshmallow is announced.

I say this all the time. Neither OS is particularly far ahead on any front. They are different experiences. That being said, Samsung detracts from the Android experience at this point, and when Google releases something new and exciting, it takes the better part of a year for it to show up on your Samsung devices if it shows up at all.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Hate to say it, but that ugly fake chrome rim makes the Note 3 look like a toy

Exactly. And the iPhone is so smaller than the note 4 (volume) and easier to hold/use.

Personally I think that Samsung just write a book: How to go from a flagship to a niche product in 1 month. The note is officially limited to S-pen users, a minority.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Exactly. And the iPhone is so smaller than the note 4 (volume) and easier to hold/use.

Personally I think that Samsung just write a book: How to go from a flagship to a niche product in 1 month. The note is officially limited to S-pen users, a minority.
Haha the volume thing is here again....

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

You're probably right, Apple will sell a ton of phones. The Apple moniker seems to be more important than having the best technology. I just don't get why it makes you so happy, Apple is a company which exists for the sole reason to extract money from your wallet.

The N4 is perfect for me, and looking at the specs it looks like it will fit my hand better physically AND the one handed mode is much much better than what Apple has. Whether it's a niche product or not I don't care, as long as it sells enough to keep Samsung making them every year. I try not to take phone sales or technology companies personally. Heck I was an Apple user before and if they did release a phone with modern specs and OS I would definitely consider buying one again. If anything I've been an Apple user for longer than I've been an Android user.

----------

You can't make claims like that and then post that picture. You can't. The iPhone 6+ looks 100x more premium device. As mentioned above, the Note 3 looks like a toy with that ring around the outside.

Also, the Note 3 won't be supported on anything after Android Lion anyway, or if it is, it won't get it until Marshmallow is announced.

I say this all the time. Neither OS is particularly far ahead on any front. They are different experiences. That being said, Samsung detracts from the Android experience at this point, and when Google releases something new and exciting, it takes the better part of a year for it to show up on your Samsung devices if it shows up at all.

Based on pictures alone I highly disagree. Those horrid antenna lines and the humongous bezels make the iPhone look like a bloated ill-put together phone from 2010, far from premium looking. I don't disagrees with you much on the Note 4 chrome ring, it's miles ahead of the N3 design but I think they should have just color matched the entire surround. I won't comment on how premium they feel as obviously I haven't held them side by side, but in terms of looks the Apple phone looks cheap to me and I'm highly surprised that this came from a company with Apple's pedigree.

You are right about fragmentation as well, it's one thing I always admire about Apple is everyone gets updated at the same time. Google has done a great job of separating it's services from the OS so you can download most of them in the app store though, hopefully they will continue down that road. Still, there are elements of Android which are advanced enough over iOS where even if it takes a year to get them, will still be a year ahead of iOS. At the very least it gives us a roadmap to Apple's "new" features in the future as Android releases them.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Not true at all. Kit kat was released in November of 2013 and I got the update on my note 3 in early March of 2014. So around 4 months, which is not anywhere near a year.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Not true at all. Kit kat was released in November of 2013 and I got the update on my note 3 in early March of 2014. So around 4 months, which is not anywhere near a year.

When were all those new features first announced? I/O is in June? That's 9 months. That's assuming you get the upgrade at all.

I get it, the iPhone makes you wait about 6, but that's with a guarantee you're likely to get them if you have a device still on contract.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I agree the iphone still looks like a toy.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Apple need to bring out some good features to match what the note can do to me. Can't see apple getting it completely right in their first attempt.

Indeed. The note is more than just a bigge screen with some more rows of icons, which the iP6 really is.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
When were all those new features first announced? I/O is in June? That's 9 months. That's assuming you get the upgrade at all.

I get it, the iPhone makes you wait about 6, but that's with a guarantee you're likely to get them if you have a device still on contract.

You have to compare announcement date with announcement date, not mix them up. So 9-6=3 months more that we wait, it's not great but certainly not a "year".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.