Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
does ATT even allow early upgrades anymore? three lines all on 2 year contracts and no upgrade until 10/5 when the one expires. use to be able to upgrade at the 18 month mark no trouble. i don't want to go the NEXT route.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
What I don't understand is...(push backs)

I get iPhones on RELEASE DAY and I put myself on the 3, 4, 5, 6 cycle, not the S cycle. But here is the catch: Last year I wanted to get the 64 GB iPhone 5 and they were sold out, so I had to wait 3 weeks later to be able to get my iPhone and now FOREVER I can't get the iPhone on September Time Frame Release Day? Because mine says Oct 6, 2014 on the Apple site?

So, basically, if this iPhone gets pushed back to say October 15-20th, my date will be pushed back even further? So because I Apple doesn't have product in stock my dates are screwed up?

There has to be a 1 month - 2 month grace period to re-align contracts? I mean you can't be 100% rigorous if they can't supply product. And not to mention the bill never dropped in price.

Let me know (anyone)... if I have an argument

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
I did this check on 4 phone lines still under 2 yr. commitment. So not eligible for subsidy from AT&T.

My pricing was lower then what the initial post had. Can anyone tell me why that is?

ATT ***** sucked. I checked my a few months ago and I was eligible for iPhone 5S at $199 with 2 year contract. Yesterday, I checked it's $349. F.ck U, ATT.

lelex

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
New & existing Verizon customers can get a free iPhone 4.7 (with a 2 year contract) by trading in your old iPhone. Nice ;)

I heard about this deal but how long will it last? I want to know if they'll let those who are still under a contract do the trade in, because I would love to trade in my 5c for the 6 but I'm not eligible for upgrade until October 2015. I'm gonna have to call or go to Verizon to find out.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I couldn't of said it any better myself. But I will be waiting until the factory unlocked 6's are available online for pickup at a DE Apple Store, so I avoid any sales taxes. I know I can pick up a Verizon or T-Mobile 6 at launch, but I'd rather wait until the madness dies down first.

Me too. I told my friend who wants to upgrade from his iPhone 5 to just wait because every time he's gotten an iPhone on the launch day (1st batch) something is wrong with the phone. (Last time he had problem with lock button being stuck). Plus, if you can wait till November most likely retailers like Best Buy or Target will probably have a promotion of $49 off. I see it every year.

But most likely when I do decide to upgrade I will just go into a AT&T store or Apple

I'm actually taking a risk. A 5 pm I used the iPhone app to check my local Apple store just for kicks and discovered that they still had a few iPhone 6 64GB Space Grays available for pickup. After hours of deliberation I decided to take a risk. I'll look over every detail in store and have Apple Care + just in case...

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
If one switches to Next, here is an important question that I cannot find the answer to... Next year if choosing to upgrade at the 12 month mark, will pre-ordering and/or purchasing through Apple be an option? I am guessing not because you will have to trade in the phone.

Paying off the phone then selling it on your own might be the way to go if that's the case.

ProductGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Buy iPhone 6s on upgrade-eligible line, then switch line?

I have two lines -- Line 1 has an iPhone 5s and Line 2 has an HTC One M8 Dev Edition (unlocked). Line 1 is NOT subsidy-eligible but Line 2 is. So what I'd like to do is "upgrade" Line 2 to the 6s in order to get my subsidy, then immediately swap out the SIM so I can use it on Line 1. (WHY? Because Line 1 has a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and is the number I use for my business.)

QUESTION: Is this possible, or does AT&T lock the SIM to my number?

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
I have two lines -- Line 1 has an iPhone 5s and Line 2 has an HTC One M8 Dev Edition (unlocked). Line 1 is NOT subsidy-eligible but Line 2 is. So what I'd like to do is "upgrade" Line 2 to the 6s in order to get my subsidy, then immediately swap out the SIM so I can use it on Line 1. (WHY? Because Line 1 has a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and is the number I use for my business.)

Yes this is possible but it might be better to go to an AT&T store or call and make sure they include the swap appropriately… I did this with an iPhone five and it didn't get LTE service for quite some time… And AT&T's account information did not have the right phone info

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011

transfer the upgrade from one line to another via ATT online or visit a store. it is very simple. good luck.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
So, question (after reading the thread). Currently I have a Mobile Share Value plan (10GB) with two iPhone lines on it. I'm on a two-year contract that ends Sept 22, 2015.

Can I upgrade to an iPhone 6 under Next for just *one* of the phones?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I get iPhones on RELEASE DAY and I put myself on the 3, 4, 5, 6 cycle, not the S cycle. But here is the catch: Last year I wanted to get the 64 GB iPhone 5 and they were sold out, so I had to wait 3 weeks later to be able to get my iPhone and now FOREVER I can't get the iPhone on September Time Frame Release Day? Because mine says Oct 6, 2014 on the Apple site?

So, basically, if this iPhone gets pushed back to say October 15-20th, my date will be pushed back even further? So because I Apple doesn't have product in stock my dates are screwed up?

There has to be a 1 month - 2 month grace period to re-align contracts? I mean you can't be 100% rigorous if they can't supply product. And not to mention the bill never dropped in price.

Let me know (anyone)... if I have an argument

just get NEXT with the 12 month upgrade option

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
upgrade early

Has anyone been able to get AT&T do a 2 year contract extension slightly early? Like a few weeks? I'm a 10 year customer and should be able to get a regular upgrade (don't want to move to next, pay 62$ month for 500/rolly, 200 sms and unlimited data) but would rather get my phone before 11/19/14, my regular upgrade date? Any leeway here?

johncolts54

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I already knew this, but my upgrade is July of next year. That will stink, having an upgrade and having to wait almost three months to get the updated phone!

Seriously, you can't wait 3 months for a piece of metal that you make calls on? as long as my 5s works, i am waiting 8 months to see the next great piece of metal.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Has anyone been able to get AT&T do a 2 year contract extension slightly early? Like a few weeks? I'm a 10 year customer and should be able to get a regular upgrade (don't want to move to next, pay 62$ month for 500/rolly, 200 sms and unlimited data) but would rather get my phone before 11/19/14, my regular upgrade date? Any leeway here?

In a word, absolutely. These contracts that everyone seems to be so afraid of or concerned about are not written in stone. In some cases, the ETFs are waived entirely, but one thing you have to do is to be proactive. Call customer service and simply TALK to them. If you get a rancid individual that can't be reasoned with, don't get upset or into an upsetting argument. Instead, hang up, and re-dial 611. If everything seems to go south even after your best attempt, tell them you want the retention dept. There, you might also want to drop the name T-Mobile and that you've seen their incredible offers, but that you'd really like to stay with AT&T.

One more thing, and this is important: Never be rude. Nobody wants to do favors for someone who's obnoxious or rude. Always be courteous. You can register your disappointment without flying off the handle, if you don't succeed at first.

Alternatively, although in your case, I certainly don't recommend it since you're so close to your contract end date, is to do a 1-year upgrade extension. This will not give you the full subsidy, but it will give you $200 off (instead of $450 for 2-year contract renewals) the full price of the phone. This is what I've been doing every year since the 3GS. Of course, you can further offset the upgrade price by first unlocking your existing device (AT&T will do it for free if you upgrade!) and then selling it. Apple products are the very best at retaining their value.

Hope this helps! ;-)

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
good stuff

good stuff, and thanks for the tips.

in the end, I checked online and it appears that at a minimum, ones eligibility is the 1st of the MONTH when ones eligibility falls. That meant I was eligible. Setup a quick tracking alert, four hours later the Stanford mall had the ATT 64GB Space grey iphone 6 and she's now being setup!..

Now, to get my GF phone upgraded, three months prior to HER eligibility!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.