Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TroubledVision

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Hello this is probably the wrong place to post this but im very new to this forum actually just registered today. so I changed my desktop login password, Now when i enter the password, it loads and then goes to a completely new login screen with no name and password field blank, my password will not let me in what should i do Have i been hacked, what could be happening please we have 8 years of memories on there and a lot of other things any help would be great sorry if this is the wrong forum

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hello this is probably the wrong place to post this but im very new to this forum actually just registered today. so I changed my desktop login password, Now when i enter the password, it loads and then goes to a completely new login screen with no name and password field blank, my password will not let me in what should i do Have i been hacked, what could be happening please we have 8 years of memories on there and a lot of other things any help would be great sorry if this is the wrong forum

Don't think you've been hacked, but rather the OS just decided that it got out on the wrong side of bed.

If you have a second Mac, try using Target Disk Mode to access the first Mac's hard drive and transfer everything out of it.

You can also boot from a bootable external drive with OS X on it to do the same thing.

What type of Mac are you using first?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Try using Disk Utility to verify/repair the disk + repair the permissions.

I resolved the very same issue for a friend by just repairing the permissions.

Also do not worry, nothing is lost, and there are many ways to access your data.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Let this become "a teachable moment" for you.

If you have "eight years of memories" on the internal hard drive, and don't have it backed up anywhere, what's going to happen to those memories when the hard drive fails (as all drives are wont to do, eventually) ?

Best to get an external drive, and create a backup system.

I'd recommend CarbonCopyCloner to create a bootable cloned backup.

If you had a bootable cloned backup when you encountered the difficulty above, you could just:
- connect it
- boot from it
- work on the internal drive from there, AND
- ALL your "memories" would STILL be on the bootable backup.

Better start thinking this through before something worse happens...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Try doing a command-r boot to recovery. Now start Disk Utility and do a repair disk. Does that show any errors? Also repair permissions like Bruno mentioned.

Now quit Disk Utility and click the Utilities menu and launch Terminal. Enter "resetpassword" (one word without the quotes) and you will get this screen.

Select Macintosh HD and click the drop down there where it says Joe Example in my screenshot. Do you see your account there? If so, select the account the enter a new password in the two spaces below and click save. Now reboot and see if you can login to your account with the new password.

Let us know what happens.

AibMxg0.png

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
You have 8 years of memories and you do not know how to resolve this?

Are you sure you are not hacking into someone else's computer?

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Let this become "a teachable moment" for you.

If you have "eight years of memories" on the internal hard drive, and don't have it backed up anywhere, what's going to happen to those memories when the hard drive fails (as all drives are wont to do, eventually) ?

Best to get an external drive, and create a backup system.

I'd recommend CarbonCopyCloner to create a bootable cloned backup.

If you had a bootable cloned backup when you encountered the difficulty above, you could just:

- connect it

- boot from it

- work on the internal drive from there, AND

- ALL your "memories" would STILL be on the bootable backup.

Better start thinking this through before something worse happens...

Are you a teacher?

TroubledVision

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Thanks Guys

Thanks every one i appreciate all the advice, yes i do and will back up everything when i get this fixed, I will keep u all posted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.