Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikebuzzsaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09/17/foxconn-struggles-to-meet-new-iphone-demand/
We have been churning out 140,000 iPhone 6 Plus and 400,000 iPhone 6 every day, the highest daily output ever, but the volume is still not enough to meet the preorders"

"The output rate of 5.5-inch is still only around 50%-60%, which means display makers have to scrap almost half of the substandard output, said a person at a display component supplier.

The person said the output rate of the 4.7-inch display is better at 85%."

I wonder if the quality of the 5.5 screen will be substandard. If there is such high demand, I'm sure some questionable screens made the cut, especially at a 50-60% success rate. I wonder what is leading to the poor success rate. Are they cracking easier?

And if there's a ratio of 7 iP6+ to ever 20 iP6 which is 35%....I wonder if people who are waiting at the Apple Store Friday will settle for the iP6 over the +.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I wonder if the 5.5 will survive drops more or less than the 4.7. Walt Mossberg cracked his 4.7 when it fell but it fell flat on its face on concrete. They are clearly not going to be shatterproof phones in any case.

I keep going back and forth as to what would be "perfect" for me, so I will let availability dictate what i get. I think I'd be happy with either one so I will line up and see what's there. If 5.5 is available Ill pick that first but if all they got is 4.7 I will take that too.

Mikebuzzsaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder if the 5.5 will survive drops more or less than the 4.7. Walt Mossberg cracked his 4.7 when it fell but it fell flat on its face on concrete. They are clearly not going to be shatterproof phones in any case.

I keep going back and forth as to what would be "perfect" for me, so I will let availability dictate what i get. I think I'd be happy with either one so I will line up and see what's there. If 5.5 is available Ill pick that first but if all they got is 4.7 I will take that too.

I would assume 5.5 would be more likely to break since its a bigger piece of glass? I laughed Walt broke his iPhone, but it is probably the most common way of breaking the glass on iPhone is by dropping it on its face, not because of corner drops.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Amazing how high the demand is for the +. Thought the market was much smaller for those sized phones.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
More complex screen probably means more failures until they get the production kinks worked out. 1080p screens can't be easy to make that small.

What is it with the higher failure rate on the iPhone 6 Plus? I wonder which unruly components are causing these issues?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
More complex screen probably means more failures until they get the production kinks worked out. 1080p screens can't be easy to make that small.

Very true. I just hope this one doesn't have light leaks or ghosting problems. I can handle other screen issues but those get under my nerves and drives me nuts.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
It's not the cracking that is a problem with the displays, it's dead or hot pixels. The higher the ppi, the more difficult it is to make, and the larger the screen, the chance of having an imperfect pixel goes up.

Source: worked in the display industry in a previous career.

Mikebuzzsaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Amazing how high the demand is for the +. Thought the market was much smaller for those sized phones.

It's not about demand. It's more about producing the larger one has been more difficult. The factories are churning out 100x iP6 the same amount of time it takes to produce 35x iP6+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.