Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
The GM is noticeably faster than beta 5. Battery life dropped 2-4% overnight. That being said, it's a tad bit slower than 7.1.2 but hard to tell as of now. The folder open animation stutters a tiny bit on first open but subsequent requests appear to be fine. Opening apps is slower across the board but it wasn't that great under iOS7 either. (3 seconds for music app - ~2500 songs)

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
California
I have been testing the GM version for about a week, and it seems noticeably faster. Everything you want to work works. Calling from the iPod now works, only if your iPhone is connected to the same network. Google+ calling works better because Google sent out an update to fix crashes in iOS 8. Safari no longer crashes, the springboard no longer crashes randomly, new wallpapers, Settings no longer crashes, Quick Reply works without lag now, and a lot of other small changes. I think the battery life has been better because I've been able to use it for longer periods of time without it dying.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
The 5thgen runs fine for me the only problem is battery life which is a big problem. If you are buying every touch like I am then your battery will diminish severely in 2 years. Therefore there must be a new touch every 2 years in order to keep your battery going. The battery on the touch is not replaceable and I am not even sure if 3rd party services would be able to do it the battery change .

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
The 5thgen runs fine for me the only problem is battery life which is a big problem. If you are buying every touch like I am then your battery will diminish severely in 2 years. Therefore there must be a new touch every 2 years in order to keep your battery going. The battery on the touch is not replaceable and I am not even sure if 3rd party services would be able to do it the battery change .

Of course it's replaceable! It's not easy for end user. There is this thing called google.

akfgpuppet

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
The 831
Well today is the day, anybody have iOS 8 on their iPod touch yet? What do they think about the performance of it so far?

lastcall

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
I'm not in a rush. You may want to see if it's possible to downgrade back to iOS 7.1 if you run into trouble. Apple doesn't let you do that, that's why I'm always very cautious about major upgrades.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
UPDATED, then erased all content and setup as new, all seems fine. no lag.

Oh I didn't even bother to set up as new, just installed iOS8 on top of 7. It's fine, running great and I'm LOVING SwiftKey typing!!!! Finally no more peck peck peck!!!! Hooray.

I can't imagine why iOS9 couldn't be made to run fine on the iPTouch5 too. I don't want a newer larger iPod. The tiny size of this thing is the reason I bought it in the first place.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It seems to be ok so far. At first it was a bit laggy and a few apps crashed but it seems to have settled down now. SwiftKey is pretty cool I just wish if wouldn't keep reverting back to stock and that more themes were available.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It seems to be ok so far. At first it was a bit laggy and a few apps crashed but it seems to have settled down now. SwiftKey is pretty cool I just wish if wouldn't keep reverting back to stock and that more themes were available.

Is there a thread about the keyboard reverting to stock somewhere? I just had that happen. After awhile SwiftKey came back without any specific intervention. Annoying.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I'm not in a rush. You may want to see if it's possible to downgrade back to iOS 7.1 if you run into trouble. Apple doesn't let you do that, that's why I'm always very cautious about major upgrades.

As of last night, Apple was signing both 7.1.2 and 8.0, so you could roll back. I'm not sure how long that will go on for though, I'd guess not more than a few days to a week.

I rolled back last night because scrolling stuttered. It's so smooth in 7.1 that I just couldn't justify keeping 8.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Is there a thread about the keyboard reverting to stock somewhere? I just had that happen. After awhile SwiftKey came back without any specific intervention. Annoying.

iOS automatically uses the stock keyboard when entering passwords for security purposes.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Battery life much improved after iOS 7 with some targeted tuning using information from the the "Battery Usage" feature. Smoothing out the battery meter took a number of full charges and a restart or two. Apps seem to take a little longer to start. Just starting to experiment with the extra features. Photos take getting used to.
All in all, I like.

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
10 hours in airplane mode. But not using it at all. With wi-fi on and using it, it loses about 10% an hour.

iPaul93

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
iOS8 is a total lagfest for me.Everytime I scroll it lags.Does anyone else experience this issue?

bmxracer

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
iOS8 is a total lagfest for me.Everytime I scroll it lags.Does anyone else experience this issue?
It is lagging for me scrolling on graphic heavy websites and trying to zoom in and out. Battery life is about the same as 7 if not better for me.

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Anybody using Numbers? I use this a lot and it is just fast enough. I don't think i dare do anything that might slow it further. Let's hope they do an optimization for 8.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.