Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NRubino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Ok, so I recently pre-ordered the iPhone 6 Plus. However, I used the upgrade from another line on the account's upgrade. How would I go about transferring my number to the new phone, I currently have a 5s. Thanks.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Activating New Phone

1. Activate your new 6 out of the box.
2. Take the SIM from the 6 and place it in the phone that was used for the upgrade. That old SIM is now useless
3. Take the SIM from phone with your line (5S) and place it in the iPhone 6.

Of course back everything up first.
Just activate the 6 in step 1, no need to restore it. Of course after step 1 you'll will want to remove the find my phone ID lock if used.

This is what an ATT told me in the store Saturday.

NRubino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
1. Activate your new 6 out of the box.
2. Take the SIM from the 6 and place it in the phone that was used for the upgrade. That old SIM is now useless
3. Take the SIM from phone with your line (5S) and place it in the iPhone 6.

Of course back everything up first.
Just activate the 6 in step 1, no need to restore it. Of course after step 1 you'll will want to remove the find my phone ID lock if used.

This is what an ATT told me in the store Saturday.
I have AT&T...

Ok, sounds easy enough, I didn't realize it was as easy as popping in a different SIM... And to remove find my iPhone?

I was told by someone to..

Call AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different phone. The operator will come on put the wireless number that you used to place your iPhone order.choose option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number, and an AT&T person will help you from there.

The person who has the other line, is away at school so I wouldn't want to deactivate their line right away, can anyone shed any light on either method...

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I have AT&T...

Ok, sounds easy enough, I didn't realize it was as easy as popping in a different SIM... And to remove find my iPhone?

I was told by someone to..

Call AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different phone. The operator will come on put the wireless number that you used to place your iPhone order.choose option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number, and an AT&T person will help you from there.

The person who has the other line, is away at school so I wouldn't want to deactivate their line right away, can anyone shed any light on either method...

To remove find myiphone disable it on your phone and any restrictions tied to it. through the cloud or new iphone you can then remove that device from the findmyiphone app.

Basically you need to be able to sign onto your findmyiphone or icloud account, access findmyphone and just delete that device. It will ask to confirm and then you are done.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Activating New Phone

You really need to have the phones in hand. The iPhone 6 arrives with a sim set for a phone number. You have to activate with that sim. That will turn off the persons phone away at school.

You have to call ATT otherwise. Let us know if it's possible to do. That college kid may have to go to an att store to get a new sim.

NRubino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
You really need to have the phones in hand. The iPhone 6 arrives with a sim set for a phone number. You have to activate with that sim. That will turn off the persons phone away at school.

You have to call ATT otherwise. Let us know if it's possible to do. That college kid may have to go to an att store to get a new sim.

I'll let you know, I'm going to try to do it thru the phone first and see how it goes... Using the second method that was sugg to me

Thanks, until Friday :cool:

NRubino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
You should also give the other iPhone user an advance heads-up, just in case there are any surprises. :)

Haha of course, but I was told by AT&T that I can call and just activate it thru the phone and was told that it will be better to call prior to activating the phone. The number AT&T gave me today was the same 1800 number as listed in my post above. Hope this helps those in my same situation and for those in my same situation feel free to post the process you used once you've done so.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Haha of course, but I was told by AT&T that I can call and just activate it thru the phone and was told that it will be better to call prior to activating the phone. The number AT&T gave me today was the same 1800 number as listed in my post above. Hope this helps those in my same situation and for those in my same situation feel free to post the process you used once you've done so.
Absolutely; I was going to tell you to call but I'll bet that Friday & even Saturday AT&T will be slammed with Cust Svc/Activation calls. Don't be discouraged if it takes a while to get thru. Enjoy the new iPhones. I know I will. :)

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
So i got this email from ATT today. I called a second ATT store and they confirmed that the method i stated i my first reply works too.

Great news, your iPhone is on the way. Please review this email for important information to set up your phone quickly and easily.

Did you use the upgrade eligibility of another number on your account to upgrade your own device? If so, follow these steps:
When your device arrives, call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. Enter the wireless number that received the upgrade.
Select option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number.

Follow the steps to activate your iPhone:

1. Check all voicemail messages on your existing device. Once your new iPhone has been activated, all voicemail messages and greetings on the former device will be lost. (Existing AT&T Customers Only).
2. Turn on your iPhone and follow the steps to activate it by using Wi-Fi or connecting it to your computer via the included USB cable. Your iPhone may prompt you to connect to iTunes. Install it for FREE at iTunes.com
3. Activate your device online at att.com/Activations or by calling 1-866-895-1099 from another phone.
4. Turn ON your iPhone and make a test call. If your call is not successful, wait one hour to allow the activation process to complete then try to make another call.

NRubino

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
So i got this email from ATT today. I called a second ATT store and they confirmed that the method i stated i my first reply works too.

Great news, your iPhone is on the way. Please review this email for important information to set up your phone quickly and easily.

Did you use the upgrade eligibility of another number on your account to upgrade your own device? If so, follow these steps:
When your device arrives, call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. Enter the wireless number that received the upgrade.
Select option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number.

Follow the steps to activate your iPhone:

1. Check all voicemail messages on your existing device. Once your new iPhone has been activated, all voicemail messages and greetings on the former device will be lost. (Existing AT&T Customers Only).
2. Turn on your iPhone and follow the steps to activate it by using Wi-Fi or connecting it to your computer via the included USB cable. Your iPhone may prompt you to connect to iTunes. Install it for FREE at iTunes.com
3. Activate your device online at att.com/Activations or by calling 1-866-895-1099 from another phone.
4. Turn ON your iPhone and make a test call. If your call is not successful, wait one hour to allow the activation process to complete then try to make another call.

Seems to be the answer they are giving everyone and the easiest way to do it, must be a pretty common practice, thanks for the detailed step by step!:)

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Activating New Phone

Seems to be the answer they are giving everyone and the easiest way to do it, must be a pretty common practice, thanks for the detailed step by step!:)

ATT staff are sooo poorly trained.

I called the number and pressed option 2
Took 10 min just for the person to understand what I wanted to do.

It failed because my kid didn't answer the phone to verify. I apologized and said I would call back

Called again. Same confusion. ATT guy said I would be sent a new SIM in the mail. No I said and the he wanted to have serial number off the SIM. So I hung up. That was going no where.

Called a third time. Total confusion even worse. WTF to they even give a process their staff is unaware of? Meanwhile my kid is now here and her old phone lost service. While the rep is trying to figure things out, I surmise that the first call actually worked. And indeed it was switched over.

So now just restoring. Incredible. One rep even said it wouldn't work because the SIM was a different size than the 5S. Amazing.

I should have just done as I advised above. Unless you don't have all the phone in the same spot.

So the process works but few staff really know it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.