Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I upgraded my 4S today and it was very laggy at first, until I noticed that it had decided to background-launch every app on my phone. I quit all of those from the app switcher and it's back up to its usual speed :)

Interestingly, a coworker upgraded his and it didn't launch all of his apps. I'm not sure what triggered that on mine.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I'm always amused by these type of posts. A mere hint of something wrong with Apple products or services brings out the "but the other guy" excuses.

I'm pretty sure the 4S owners really appreciate the PSA on Android. It's a good thing they can console themselves in the tribulations of Android users. Cuz I know the only thing that could make me feel better about my own possible misery is knowing someone else using an entirely different product may be affected as well.:rolleyes:

I bolded possible because YMMV with this install. Some will see unacceptable degradation, some will see acceptable performance drop, and others be fine. Either way, is pointing out issues of an entirely unrelated OS is really helpful for a 4S owner?:confused:

Um... maybe I didn't word it right but I was saying I'm glad Apple still supports older devices like the 4S. A friend of mine is still using the 4 though so he's SOL for the iOS 8 update sadly. I've owned many Android devices before and I always wished all other manufacturers/carriers would be able to push out and support the latest firmware as frequent and long-term as possible.

Pointing out Android fragmentation in an iOS 8 article isn't entirely unrelated... remember WWDC? Apple never fails to mention it every year. :rolleyes:

Screen-Shot-2014-06-02-at-1.52.37-PM.png

hucko003

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
iPad 3rd Gen on iOS 8

Has anyone upgraded to iOS 8 on an iPad 3rd Gen yet?

After iOS 7 making my iPhone 4 completely horrendous last year, I don't want to make the same mistake, so I'm going to wait for some reviews on how it performs on an iPad 3rd Gen.

However, if iOS 8 is compatible with an iPad 2, then surely it should be fine on a 3rd Gen?

I'd be really happy if anyone with an iPad 3rd Gen could tell me if it's worth it or not

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
It works perfectly fine on my 4S. No problems whatsoever.

The only thing that I had kept an eye on was battery usage, as I had the impression at first that the battery meter went down a bit more quickly, but at least in standby, it was not a problem. Charged the phone to 100% yesterday evening. Down to 98% this morning.

mondaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Hi there

I am interested to hear if you are still happy?

Kind regards

Dave

It works perfectly fine on my 4S. No problems whatsoever.

The only thing that I had kept an eye on was battery usage, as I had the impression at first that the battery meter went down a bit more quickly, but at least in standby, it was not a problem. Charged the phone to 100% yesterday evening. Down to 98% this morning.

Thanks very much :)

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I plan to buy a 4S soon. Will iOS 8 be taking up space in my auto downloads even if i don't want to install it?

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
After reading a few of the people on here who have actually used the device with iOS 8 it appears macrumors has duped us with a sensationalist clickbait article. Figures.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
This article came to the conclusion that the other phones didn't get bigger. In fact, the it's the iPhone 4S that got slightly smaller.

I mean, including such a HUGE keyboard and FIVE GIANT rows of app icons in the 4S. Apple, what were you thinking???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 15.56.38.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 15.56.38.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
The thing is, most ordinary people (non-technies) would be perfectly happy to keep an iPhone for years, oblivious to the new features. Apple don't want to give those people that choice. They force the update which they know perfectly well hobbles the device so it suddenly runs like crap.

It works perfectly. My wife swears at her iPhone 4 every single day since she conceded to allow the update to 7. She blames the old phone and eyes the new ones with envy, not considering that it's Apple who made it run that slow, deliberately.

What do you suggest, they not gives phones OS updates? If you're implying they slow the OS down on purpose for old devices then please take the tinfoil hat off.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Except they don't force anything. My ipad 2 is on iOS 6 and shall remain there as long as I have it. Just because there's an upgrade option doesn't mean you have to blindly click it.

So your iPad doesn't validate security certificates and you're 'blindly' leaving it that way? The fix for the serious goto fail bug was developed and tested for iOS6 but Apple deliberately withheld it from any device capable of upgrading to iOS7 in order to _____ users to upgrade.

What word fits in the gap there? Something meaning 'to give no reasonable option'?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I've been using iOS8 since the 1st beta and its been fine. Obvious beta issues but now with teh GM the phone runs really well.

I honestly don't understand where all this negativity has come from??

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yeah, it's very slow for me. I'm going to downgrade back to iOS 7 if I can. I don't mind the worse performance in general, but the delay loading up the Call app and even just the delay from pressing a name to the phone calling them is really bad.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I am actually wondering if this Macrumors articles was written by an iPhone newbie.
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]
To maintain compatibility with the device, Apple has removed some features from iOS 8, including AirDrop and Handoff for apps.
Actually AirDrop was already removed from iOS 7 for the 4s.
iOS 8 on the iPhone 4s also drops underlying support for OpenGL ES 3.0, the Metal graphics API, and 64-bit ARMv8 apps. As a result, overall app performance is slower and animations often are choppy.
Yes, I guess apps which use Metal will be slowed on the 4S or will not work at all. But I am not noticing any problems for already existing apps.
Apps appear cramped, and those such as Mail that require text input provide very little space to compose a message.
Why that? Newsflash: The text predictions can be removed by swiping down.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
4S had noticeably slowed down when I upgraded to iOS 7. Upgrading to iOS 8 has brought back some performance for me. The phone definitely feels better than when it was on iOS 7.

I come from iPhone 5, and my father uses the 4S. Whenever I use his phone for updating his apps and such, I always smile at the way that phone has held, and iOS 8 does it. It can take one more year. Don't know if iOS 9 will support it, or the hardware will be able to take it. But as far as iOS 8 goes, it's a hell lot better than 7 for me on the 4S. I do not need airdrop or wifi ac/ 5GHz anyway. We use wifi only to get internet connectivity for all our devices through a single WAN connection that comes from the provider. :)

2011 to 2014, and since iOS 8, till 2015 also, is pretty good. Pretty good. iPhone 5 seems to have gone obsolete faster than 4S.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
I'm an iOS developer and have also been using a 4S on iOS8 beta as my daily phone since beta 1.

The first 2 or 3 betas were (typically) very low performance. However by around beta 3 or 4, everything was pretty snappy.

iOS8 is far better on the 4S than iOS7 performance-wise, although of course the phone still struggles particularly in low-memory situations.

One surprising performance improvement I found was when I changed the battery. My 4S was not holding a full charge, and was constantly freezing up (even while still on iOS7). After replacing the battery with a brand new one, performance improved dramatically.

To anyone with a 4S, I'd recommend upgrading to iOS8 asap. And if your battery is unreliable or fading, look into replacing it. It practically rejuvenates the performance (I wish I knew more about electronics to understand why that is!) :)

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Looks great, running great with no performance concerns. Loving it so far.

The larger text and better propagation of accessibility text size through apps is much appreciated by someone who's eyesight isn't as sharp as it was.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
This article came to the conclusion that the other phones didn't get bigger. In fact, the it's the iPhone 4S that got slightly smaller.

I mean, including such a HUGE keyboard and FIVE GIANT rows of app icons in the 4S. Apple, what were you thinking???
I love it, perfect for me. I have accessibility text set to large anyway fyi so I can read phone easily without my glasses.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Um... maybe I didn't word it right but I was saying I'm glad Apple still supports older devices like the 4S. A friend of mine is still using the 4 though so he's SOL for the iOS 8 update sadly. I've owned many Android devices before and I always wished all other manufacturers/carriers would be able to push out and support the latest firmware as frequent and long-term as possible.

Pointing out Android fragmentation in an iOS 8 article isn't entirely unrelated... remember WWDC? Apple never fails to mention it every year. :rolleyes:

I think it may be an unconscious move by you. You did it again. 1 sentence about the actual topic, 1 that's related, and all the rest about Android. Look at that image you posted. I'll ask again, how does it address iOS8 and possible issues with 4S'? It's completely okay to have an opinion about the rumored 4S issue without bringing up Android, Windows, Samsung, etc. To be fair, it's completely okay to do what you're doing as well. My opinion is no more important than anyone else's. So please take it with a grain of salt.

I just wonder if it's possible for some to discuss an issue critical of Apple without using another vendor to deflect blame. This is less a criticism and more of an observation.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Was on a Jailbroken 4S 7.1.2, installed iOS 8, it flies.

Had same glitches with 2 Factor authentication but it solved itself, restoring had some issues as well but it now runs smoothly.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I finally got the courage to install iOS 8 on my 4S.

However, to avoid problems I did a clean install. And at least the couple first hours I dont really see a difference with this and iOS 7.

iOS7 actually used to run super badly on my phone before I did a clean install - (Hence the reason I did it now right at the start)

O

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Just tried to update my 5S and it put itself into recovery mode, so now I'm gonna lose all my data since I haven't backed up to iCloud in weeks since I'm out of storage. GREAT!

I'm sure you've heard it before, but now you'll remember it: ALWAYS back up before doing an update

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The thing is, most ordinary people (non-technies) would be perfectly happy to keep an iPhone for years, oblivious to the new features. Apple don't want to give those people that choice. They force the update which they know perfectly well hobbles the device so it suddenly runs like crap.

It works perfectly. My wife swears at her iPhone 4 every single day since she conceded to allow the update to 7. She blames the old phone and eyes the new ones with envy, not considering that it's Apple who made it run that slow, deliberately.

I respectfully disagree.

They force nothing. You don't have to upgrade. iTunes specifically asks if you want to upgrade or not. Users, 100%, have a choice.

Sure, there will be those less techie folks who click on it, but then again, that's their own fault. You don't have to be that techie to decline an update.

I know plenty of folks who haven't upgraded squat on their iPads or iPhones and they're as content as can be.

Cheers,
Keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.