Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Default Folder is a great "must have" utility IMHO, but for some reason I'm not able to enable its dock icon.
Scrolling down to the middle of this page there's instructions on how to enable the dock icon, but I can't even find that option!
Could it be because I'm running it in OSX 10.6.8? I'm using Default Folder X version 4.6.8.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
It's not you. The "Dock" option has been gone for several recent iterative updates. I never used the Dock option, but I have checked for differences in every update.

Long time user here, on Mavericks and D.F. v4.6.8.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
You mean they've been silently removing/putting back in that feature?
If the producers are feeling ambivalent about the dock icon, is there another way (i.e. hack etc.) to get it back?

I find it cumbersome to have to access the menu-bar every time I want quick access to a specific folder (currently I've put my user folder in the dock with the "list" view option, which helps):

list_view_zps05f3721c.png

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
As I'd written earlier, I don't use the Dock icon - I haven't in years. I use Spotlight to access folders now - I'm a keyboard user before I'd touch the trackpad/mouse anyway.

I'd recommend that you email St. Clair - they've been very responsive in the past. Their website is woefully out of date, though - I copied some of this text just today - "Leopard delivers amazing previews with QuickLook" on the DFX web page. That's OS X 10.5 to you and me...

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I got in touch with St. Clair software who told me that the dock option has been removed because it causes issues with OSX 10.7 and up when in full-screen mode or when running any app in full-screen mode, however..... the option is still there, but unoffical and hidden:

1) Go to the Default Folder X preferences
2) hold down OPTION (ALT) while pressing the "settings" button.
3) enable "ShowIconInDock"

I can't remember but I believe I had to log out/in again in order to make it work.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I was going to suggest the Option settings - they've been in there for some time, but I found some of them to be too unstable. I'm pleased that they did get back to you in short order. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.