Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
Because your Timberland, Camel Active, Gant, Armani, etc isn't better. In fact all those are citizen (myiota) watches in drag, but 100x overpriced. You're welcome, and this is watch buff's baptism.

Seriously, such negativity... I only see the Internet flooded with comments from people who know -1 of watches, from people that never have seen anything else besides rendered pic's.

Blah blah blah, thick, blah, blah, blah, too curvy...

It's thick because it has a battery on it, it's even thinner than a modern diver watch like the Rolex submariener, or most chronometers.

It's curvy because watches were functional before being CAD renderings, it's curvy because curvy looks natural and is in fact confortable in the skin. Do you want to take out your watch and see marks on your skin?

I want to go back in time to a place where people didn't have phones at all, and knew what a watch was!

Seriously, go get something else, it's a personal preference, after all...

We all know that you are angry because a) it's not anonymous and blank like some others, but mostly b) it's both a gadget and a fashion item, and you want to have that gadget, because you're a gadget nerd that has all the latest gadgets, but you aren't acceptant/tolerant to fashion and your sense of effemerity is dictated in periods of 12 months, when a newer version, with double the specs comes out, not when you don't identify anymore with the object.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Why do you care what other people think? Personally I think it's ugly, but I can understand why some people would like it. There certainly are better looking watches out there, but none of them are smart watches made by Apple.

gochi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
i like the idea behind it but yes it is ugly

i would not want to wear that id look like a techie geek but over doing it.
lol

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Personally, I like the look of it but I fully appreciate that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some people may well find it ugly.

It's not for you, me or anyone else to tell someone else how they should feel or how they should express their feelings.

Reactions: xDKP

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
it is completely ugly! steve would be rolling in his grave right now!

i am totes disappointed at how the apple watch turned out, it should've been along the line of a 6th gen nano with more features, and an exclosed back. what were they thinking exposing the sensors and stuff like that! seriously!!!

michaelhunter

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I personally think it's a beautiful design, but I can't forgive how bulky it is. Anyone who saw Jony Ive being interviewed after the keynote will know what I mean. It even looked bulky on him - and he's a pretty solid guy.

I know it's bulky because of the battery etc, but this the true Apple without Steve. An Apple that is starting to make compromises. Aesthetically it's gorgeous, and I'll definitely be buying one. But I wish Tim had worked on it for another year, and innovated the technology to bring the bulk down :(

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I know it's bulky because of the battery etc, but this the true Apple without Steve. An Apple that is starting to make compromises. Aesthetically it's gorgeous, and I'll definitely be buying one. But I wish Tim had worked on it for another year, and innovated the technology to bring the bulk down :(

Original iPad was pretty bulky, first iPhone had no 3G. First MacBook Air was too expensive and way underpowered. I think there will always be something about a first gen product that will make someone say "they should have worked on it for another year."

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Beauty as well as ugliness is in the eye of the beholder. I think it beautiful, but that is entirely subjective.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
People that are into sports watches are used to ugly watches though... Except for Suunto, most sports watches are just damn ugly so it'll do well in that market... if the battery life keeps up :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think motorola watch is better looking. I'm not so sure about the apple watch.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I think motorola watch is better looking. I'm not so sure about the apple watch.

You may want to reconsider. (Yes, I keep posting those real-life pics of the Moto 360 because too many people are getting their impression from the render alone.)

Motorola-Moto-360.jpg

axUKMPk.jpg

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Because your Timberland, Camel Active, Gant, Armani, etc isn't better. In fact all those are citizen (myiota) watches in drag, but 100x overpriced. You're welcome, and this is watch buff's baptism.

Seriously, such negativity... I only see the Internet flooded with comments from people who know -1 of watches, from people that never have seen anything else besides rendered pic's.

Blah blah blah, thick, blah, blah, blah, too curvy...

It's thick because it has a battery on it, it's even thinner than a modern diver watch like the Rolex submariener, or most chronometers.

It's curvy because watches were functional before being CAD renderings, it's curvy because curvy looks natural and is in fact confortable in the skin. Do you want to take out your watch and see marks on your skin?

I want to go back in time to a place where people didn't have phones at all, and knew what a watch was!

Seriously, go get something else, it's a personal preference, after all...

We all know that you are angry because a) it's not anonymous and blank like some others, but mostly b) it's both a gadget and a fashion item, and you want to have that gadget, because you're a gadget nerd that has all the latest gadgets, but you aren't acceptant/tolerant to fashion and your sense of effemerity is dictated in periods of 12 months, when a newer version, with double the specs comes out, not when you don't identify anymore with the object.

Like all things, "fashion" is subjective. I'll be getting one and I don't think its particularly good looking. It will be fun to play around with. Also, I have a few Rolex watches and this part is purely a guess, but I'm not sure the Apple Watch would be thinner than all of them. The Rolex line runs from 10mm thick to 13mm thick. I'm sure it could be thinner than some of the 13mm ones, but not thinner than the 10mm ones.

To each their own though.........part of "fashion" though is being forward thinking and liking what no one else likes yet, so maybe you're just ahead of your time :)

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
AWatch is ugly. Too bad.

I'm buying one. Too bad. I must be alone, that would be too good.

----------

Better looking?

41wdh1-z0rL._SX300_.jpg

It's a kitchen clock with a strap!

----------

I personally think it's a beautiful design, but I can't forgive how bulky it is. Anyone who saw Jony Ive being interviewed after the keynote will know what I mean. It even looked bulky on him - and he's a pretty solid guy.

It is not bulky for a watch.

It is a fact. Compare the A watch height to other watches.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Look, there is just no way it is as good looking as, for example, an Omega Speedmaster, a Rolex Sub, etc. And that isn't even getting close to PP, ALS, etc.

If we compare it to more mode-styled watchmakers, is it as good looking at as a Nomos? Maybe slightly less. How about a Braun? No, and that is a crap watch horologically. It is definitely better looking than an MB&F, but those watches are hideous.

The Moto 360 is better looking until you stick it on a wrist and realize how ridiculously large it is. And all without the inherent douchiness of a Breitling, which at least makes the wearer think it is cool ;)

Sure they will sell a billion of them, but that doesn't mean it is good looking. And buying one because you value its functionality is totally valuable. Buying it because you think it looks cool, OTOH, probably means you lack taste.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
I find the Apple Watch ugly.

I buy Apple mainly for beauty in design. Right now, Windows 7 was functional enough, and Windows 9 looks ok. But I love the beauty of OSX. I love the sleek designs of the MacBook and iMac families.

I think Apple's plastic colorful iPods were ugly too, but that never bothered me since I don't buy iPods.

But it does bother me that the Apple Watch is ugly, because I would have bought one, but there's no way I will use an ugly watch, particularly if most of what it does can be done with the iPhone in my pocket.

For instance, why read an email on a watch when it's far easier to read and type on an iPhone.

The only reason I would want an Apple Watch is because it is a sizzling piece of eye-candy jewellry on my wrist. Right now, it's a functional monstrosity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.