Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Do we really think that Apple will sell 50 million of a first-gen product in less than a year? I'm kind of dubious, though with Apple it is certainly possible. Perhaps Digitimes messed up their numbers.

First gen doesn't put me off. I'd probably pay for the SS version. Except for that battery life issue.
Single day battery life is borderline useless. Fix that, and I can believe the projections. Don't, and there's no chance.

khabd

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
That doesn't particularly drive why would need more than one watch case. If one of them does that, then the other is simply redundant. If there was a different set of sensors then perhaps, but the completely redundant data capture is not particularly likely for folks to buy more than one in a single year (putting aside those damaged over time ).

If there is a some fashion, rather than functional, imperative then the assumption about price point likely falls apart. The "Edition" watches are likely priced in the nose-bleed high zone. I'm sure there are non average folks who buy multiple $1000 watches, but they don't number anywhere near the 10's of millions per year zone.

The huge problem in driving volume for the more expensive Apple watch is that they are quite likely not going to do anything more than the entry level one. It is a fashion difference, not a functional one. More than likely a "nicer band" that is vastly more affordable is going to add a fashion difference for a large fraction of folks far more so than the need to buy yet another case to do the exact same thing the more affordable case does.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanegashima View Post
R
Also, these are watches, they should be making money on people's desire to have multiple watches for various occasions.
There is little good reason why folks who want multiple watches for various occasions need to buy multiple watches in one year. Multiple watches are typically bought over time; not in bundled, bulk purchases. Over a couple of years, the number of folks who buy multiple ones will go up and become significant. But in year one? Not really likely.

Throw in on top the watch case's ability to be accessorized by snap-on/snap-off bands.

I'm sure some few will line up and buy multiples that will primarily just sit in a storage drawer but that isn't going to drive 10's of millions of sales.

That is like saying why would anyone want more than one pair of sneakers as more than one pair is redundant...:rolleyes:. And that comparison with an ipad mini was bad. ipad mini is a straight forward device. A watch isn't hence the reason why someone would by more than one watch. $350 for a watch isn't as expensive as your making it. Just like people that spend $200 on designer sunglasses. Are you going to say why would anyone spend $200 on sunglasses when they can buy a $20 hat?

Someone would could easily buy a watch to workout in and a separate watch as a fashion accessory. The sports watch has its own look and the other watch will be a fashion accessory. I also think your downplaying the data aspect of the watch and what it will be able to do. It could be very popular with gyms and people that work out. I don't even wear watches and I can see the potential and will probably buy one.

khabd

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Minus the bluetooth headphones, the iPod shuffle does this at a sub $100 price point. The iPod Touch does this $100 less than the watch. Did folks buy multiples of those?

Yea so essentially your arguing ipod shuffle is the same as the watch given the fact ipod shuffle pretty much does nothing but play music.....:rolleyes: This reminds me of people that said ipad was a large ipod touch when the iPad was introduced. :eek:

50mil watches in production would mean say 10%-15% inventory. So around 43 million watches sold. That would be around 3.5 million per month or 10.5 million per qtr. In a year all of you non-believers will still try to hate on such possibilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.