Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011

And a final look here. If you read down to the bottom of the article, ARSTechnica says this about upgrading with a 4s:

Despite the problems we ran into, we think the answer for most people will still be "yes."
iOS 8 is a big update, and it comes with a lot of big features. Although the iPhone 4S misses out on Handoff, it can still run extensions like widgets and third-party keyboards, two things iOS users have been awaiting for a long time now. By holding off on iOS 7, you were mostly just missing out on a redesign, but with iOS 8 there's good stuff here that you're going to want if you can get it. Ideally you wouldn't have to trade features for performance, but in our opinion getting the new stuff is worth putting up with the small slowdowns you'll experience.

So they are still saying that you should upgrade.

You can get whatever answer you are looking for if you search the internet enough. The VAST majority of people will not have any issues with iOS8. There will be some that do, but we do not know exactly WHY they had issues. Could be they are doing something very non-standard.

----------

Just because I'm an Apple user (and I like their stuff the best), doesn't mean I have to blindly praise everything the company does even if it's clearly not good.

In a world where everything is great, the word great doesn't have any meaning anymore.

I do not blindly praise everything they do, and there have certainly been missteps (Siri still has a long way to go for instance), but every post of yours that I read make it sound like Apple is the absolute worst company on the planet.

If that is the case, I can imagine what you might say about other companies that you don't think make the best stuff! :)

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Hey "goofy1958", please change your name to "Apple-PR".

Thanks.

p.s.
Companies I really don't like - I ignore (like Google).

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I sure as hell am I not upgrading my old iPad 2 with iOS 8, it's useable with iOS 7 so let's not make it worse; same goes for my partner's iPhone 4 when iOS 7 came out, no need to update if it's just going to make it unusable.

I updated my work-issued iPad 4 yesterday and frankly I can't really tell the difference, the refinements and tweaks are under the hood - and the coolest new features aren't active or even supported yet.

Those iOS 5 and 6 numbers on those charts really should serve as a wake-up call to some people, not everybody goes out to buy the latest iThing and running the latest version of the iOS isn't a good idea for all.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
No, it's because iOS 8 runs like crap on anything lower than an iPhone 5. iOS 8 is amazing on big screens, 3.5"...nah.

And millions of people still have a 4S.
The new update also takes up a lot of space.
On my iPad4, it won't even download the update unless I have 5.8GB free.
Those who have 16GB iDevices are going to have to delete apps to make room for this update. :eek:

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I was literally bombarded with messages from friends and family yesterday that couldn't update because they didn't have the storage space. If they needed as much room to extract in this release as they did, I think it might've been prudent to skip OTA altogether or give more pointed direction to use iTunes to update if you don't have the free space.

This is why the low-end iPhones and iPads should be at 32 now. Stupid decision not to go there. 16 GB (don't even get me started on the 8 GB 5C) is just too small for iOS in this day and age.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I think IOS 8 has a low adoption rate only because it is taking 3 days just to download it! My rMini has been downloading for 13 hours so far and it still says "17 hours remaining" and I have a 75/75 Fios connection. :(

Absurd ..... now my iPad says "72 hours remaining" (up from 17hrs 3 hrs ago) downloading the update through a 75/75 Fios connection connected to iTunes.

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Absurd ..... now my iPad says "72 hours remaining" (up from 17hrs 3 hrs ago) downloading the update through a 75/75 Fios connection connected to iTunes.

It has nothing to do with your internet speed. The entire planet is trying to download this update from Apple servers. Pretty insane if you think about it.

Lotusman

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
I'm sitting on a 25Mbps connection and it's telling me "20 hours"...

You can keep it Apple...

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It literally took me about 16 hours to finally download and install iOS 8 on my 5s. I still haven't been able to update my rMini yet. I honestly don't think it took me that long to download and install iOS 7 last year.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
It has nothing to do with your internet speed. The entire planet is trying to download this update from Apple servers. Pretty insane if you think about it.

I'm well aware of that (ISP speed), However supposedly 2 planets worth downloaded IOS 7 when it was released. IOS 7 downloaded in minutes for me the 1st hour after it was released.

This entire thread was based on the idea that IOS 7 had more of an initial adoption rate than did IOS 8 which leads me to believe that the 8 rollout is somehow screwed up unlike 7.

Daronk

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
So what?

Now that I have updated my iPad mini I'm desperately looking for all the sensational new features, what with all the stuff that isn't working yet... I must be the dumbest person on the planet!

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
or give more pointed direction to use iTunes to update if you don't have the free space.

This is why the low-end iPhones and iPads should be at 32 now. Stupid decision not to go there. 16 GB (don't even get me started on the 8 GB 5C) is just too small for iOS in this day and age.
Apple sells iPhones advertising that you don't need a computer for syncing. There was a time when iTunes was mandatory, nowadays you don't need it.
So many customers are not aware of update through iTunes. Their fault? I don't think so. It's the same people that with 8 or 16 Gb wants to have an iPhone, to have no problems to worry about (at least that's what they've been told) and save a little money. And not feel forced to have a PC for software updates.
85% of these customers will instead upgrade to a new phone, so it's not a stupid move from Apple

Norbury

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I've not upgraded to iOS 8 for two major reasons, 1) it isn't showing as available on my phone OTA yet and 2) I'll be getting a new iPhone tomorrow anyway, so I'm not going to go to the trouble of going via iTunes.

I might find it easier to make room for the upgrade, which is a minor reason for not upgrading, if I was able to delete albums from the music app. Why can't i? That was a stupid decision whoever decided to prevent that functionality.

Last edited:

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
Ok so it's a bit misleading to say people are forced to chose between deleting stuff or not downloading the update. Unless there's lots of people out there who don't own a computer and don't have access to iTunes?

It's probable that a vast number of users don't even have iTunes installed on their computers.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
"That's almost half the free space available on a 16 GB device, forcing many owners to decide whether to delete content from their devices or install the update. "

If apple wants to continue selling 16 GB devices, that's their business.

But to rip off their loyal customers by charging $100 to bump up the memory size by 48 GB - to 64 GB - is robbery and a money grab.

Retail price for 64 GB SD cards can be found for about $19. We all know apple's price is far less. They shouldn't charge 20 times their material cost for a memory capacity that is no longer a luxury. :mad:

Please don't take this personally. It's not just you... over the years I've got SO annoyed by this ignorant argument & today happens to be the day I'm finally speaking up.
Soooo... Here it is: in April of this year (I don't believe sd technology has changed since then, so probably current enough...) thewirecutter did an extensive sd card review- over 8 hours of research & 15 hours of testing. They found the best SD cards to be made by Apple's primary competitor, Samsung. Their cheapest online price is likely Amazon at $18 for a 32gb card. The sequential read benchmarked at 46mb/sec & sequential write at 16mb/sec. Bear in mind, the average user would likely purchase one not quite this fast.
I haven't heard what new flash memory module is in use in the iPhone 6, so we're going to have to use the iPhone 5S (circa Sep, 2013) for this comparison. It uses an e-MMC NAND chip from Toshiba. It's rated at 90mb/sec sequential writes & 275mb/sec sequential reads. For those doing the mental math, that approximates to 1/6th the speed for 1/4th the cost, if this was an option.
Do you think apps that suddenly are taking a HUGE performance hit would NOT reflect poorly on Apple??
Note: to be fair, according to Tom's Hardware YESTERDAY, the SanDisk Extreme Pro is now available with read/writes of up to 95mb/sec... so, same writes & 1/3 the reads. Oh, it retails from their site- $112 for 16gb.
Armed with that knowledge- tell us more about Apple's high memory prices, please....
*dripping sarcasm*

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
You do realize the update needs to be extracted, right? It's like downloading a zipped file on your computer and you need zip file space + extracted space on your computer to be able to extract it correctly.

Yup. Some people just thought that they can download and install OS directly from the server...lol and didn't know that everything downloadable is compressed in some kind of formats.

----------

That's the reason I haven't updated. The 5gb requirement when most Apple devices are only 8 or 16GB(And Apple KNOWS this) seems pretty ridiculous. The person with the 8gb phone probably has to erase their entire phone for the update.

Dude, I think you just don't know anything. It's only required for OTA update. If you use wired update through iTunes you can do whatever since it'll back up your data before updating the OS.

----------

Are you forced to delete content if you update via iTunes? Or is it just when doing OTA updates?

My answer above.

----------

I think 8 has a low adoption rate because it is taking 3 days just to download it! My rMini has been downloading for 13 hours so far and it still says "17 hours remaining" and I have a 75/75 Fios connection. :(
somehow it took me only less than 1 hour to update last night on my iPad Air and I had 100/10 Comcast.

----------

It's beyond "dumb". I have a 16GB 5S with 3GB's free, yet I had to spend over an hour deleting Apps and photo's, lots of people aren't going to do that. Yes, after the upgrade was complete I got most of the space I had freed up back. Then I had the joy of reinstalling the Apps I had deleted.

If you try to upgrade while connected to iTunes on a Mac the installer should be smart enough to use your Mac for the extra storage space needed. The way Apple handled this is anything but user-friendly. It's about as dumb as the U2 download.

Yes, it's beyond dumb for dumb people who don't even realize that they just need to use iTunes to update it. so they deserve to waste the time to delete the content.

Norbury

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
UK
You don't need to have iTunes to have an iPhone these days, or even a PC at all. You do know that don't you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.