Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiberioG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I mean, "the death of iTunes... As the software to sync our iDevices" is the correct title of this thread.

Every day, when I open iTunes to syncronize my iPad (3)/ iPhones (2g-3g-3gs), I wonder why I'm using a music player to do that.
The time of the ipod has gone, now there is no point in using iTunes for syncronizing contacts (yes, if you have an iphone 2g/3g there is not icloud), apps, music, videos, ringtones, photos on your ipad/iphone.
I would like to have an application only for managing my devices, i would call it like " DeviceCentral" "iStation" or something like that, it would be useful for sync all the stuff with portable devices, maybe also with non apple phones and tablets (i don't have android devices, i would like to buy one but the syncronization with my apple world scares me).
I find illogical that inside a music player there are my mobile apps, i would transfer all the part of itunes that manages apps into AppStore and left to the iStation the duty to sync everything.
Maybe iStation would manage also the syncservices, for example actually i'm not able to sync my outlook contacts with icloud ones.
Inside iStation i would insert the desktop version of find my phone, and in the future maybe it would be the app that manage all my domestic appliances, the central station of ihome.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but, i'm the only one?
Would you like to have a pre-installed software like iStation in your macs?
Which functionalities would you add?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
So would it make you happy if Apple just renamed it (more accurately) iMedia?

Or a long complicated un-Apple name like iMultimedia-Device-Synch-Manager?

You're right. iTunes is not just a simple "music player" any more. But the name is a well established trademark, and everyone in the world knows exactly what it is and what services is provides. There are even TV commercials that say "Download Now from the iTunes Store!"

It's not going to be easy for Apple to change it overnight. If they change it, they better plan it carefully, or there will be a ton of confusion and a huge mess in their hands.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Changing music and apps on the iPhone is overly complicated. A simple drag and drop interface would be better. Or at least let me easily select all to delete all the songs and start over. It's overly complicated and frustrating.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Sounds like it's time to upgrade your devices :) I agree iTunes should be renamed to something like iMediaManager but using iTunes to sync your content across devices is really old school and not an ideal use of storage space. The newer Apple products all have the ability to access content stored in either the iCloud or perhaps a NAS device. And once you add content to your iTunes library, it immediately becomes visible to all of your devices, so there is no need to "synchronize".

TiberioG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Yes I know i have old devices, I'm in europe and newer iphones are very expensive here.
As you say synchronization is "old school", in fact with ios6 on my ipad/3GS i have not so many problems.

But when it comes to sync devices with two different mac it's very frustrating: if you have a music library on your mac #1 synced with your iphone and then you want to add other music from your mac#2 to the device, you loose the music that is yet present on your iphone.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Yes I know i have old devices, I'm in europe and newer iphones are very expensive here.
As you say synchronization is "old school", in fact with ios6 on my ipad/3GS i have not so many problems.

But when it comes to sync devices with two different mac it's very frustrating: if you have a music library on your mac #1 synced with your iphone and then you want to add other music from your mac#2 to the device, you loose the music that is yet present on your iphone.
Yeah, that's just way too complicated. There really is no work around for your older iPhones but for your macs and ipads, you should consider purchasing a NAS and storing your itunes library on a centralized shared location.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
All this whining and sniveling about iTunes is wasted effort. Does iTunes do what it's supposed to do? i.e. manage and sync music, app's, etc between your Mac (or that inferior OS) and iOS devices? Why yes...yes it does. Does it provide you with a convenient way to purchase music, app's, books, download podcasts, etc.? Why yes...yes it does.

If you have a better option, develop the software and sell it.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I'm not attacking in any way, but why do you still have 2G, 3G & 3GS when the 5 is available for free? Sure you have to be on a contract, but you're GOING to have phone service for the next 2 years anyway.....
I always feel a little sad for you Americans who consider it free to be on an expensive contract that make you 1000-2000$ poorer over two years. I pay 10$ per month for 1GB internet all the texting and phone calling I need. This is probably why the rest of the world doesn't buy as many iphones as Americans because in our average mobile services cost a 500-800$ phone shows up at a significant spike.
I agree a 3gs is a bit old but the way Americans calculate phone prices always amazes me. Off contract the new iphones just look ridiculous in its pricing. One cannot even comprehend out that comes to be without looking at how people on expensive contracts understand the price of their phones.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I also want iTunes and the syncing separated. Most of the time when I open iTunes, it's to play music from my computer. I don't want to deal with other things like syncing in there. But I don't feel strongly about it anyway.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
I always feel a little sad for you Americans who consider it free to be on an expensive contract that make you 1000-2000$ poorer over two years. I pay 10$ per month for 1GB internet all the texting and phone calling I need. This is probably why the rest of the world doesn't buy as many iphones as Americans because in our average mobile services cost a 500-800$ phone shows up at a significant spike.
I agree a 3gs is a bit old but the way Americans calculate phone prices always amazes me. Off contract the new iphones just look ridiculous in its pricing. One cannot even comprehend out that comes to be without looking at how people on expensive contracts understand the price of their phones.
I agree, I'm done getting phones on a contract. It works out much cheaper to just buy the phone outright and then negotiate the contract separately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.