Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Caught Guns... myself. Very, very good - excellent characterization and it moved along swiftly. Haven't seen it in years so it was nice to get completely wrapped up in it.

Slightly bummed I missed Fail Safe. Excellent movie. TCM always does a cracking double feature when they show this on a Saturday. Last time it was Fail Safe followed by Soylent Green.

Last edited:

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Edge of Tomorrow
I thought this was gonna suck. Boy, was I was wrong.
This was a really, really good movie.
hb3linruc6cl024irwsm.jpg

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Star Trek (2009)

It took 3 viewings but I finally understood this and enjoyed it, with the exception of Uhura. Zoe has yet to convince me she's the character she's playing (Gamora included.)

I'll eventually rent Star Trek Into Darkness and Edge of Tomorrow (a.k.a. Live. Die. Repeat.)

I am still not a JJ Abrams fan, but I think he had a good grasp of the Star Trek mythos (though the villain was kind of weak.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Edge of Tomorrow
I thought this was gonna suck. Boy, was I was wrong.
This was a really, really good movie.
hb3linruc6cl024irwsm.jpg

Oblivion was good. I'll stream this when it's available.

Star Trek (2009)

It took 3 viewings but I finally understood this and enjoyed it, with the exception of Uhura. Zoe has yet to convince me she's the character she's playing (Gamora included.)

I'll eventually rent Star Trek Into Darkness and Edge of Tomorrow (a.k.a. Live. Die. Repeat.)

I am still not a JJ Abrams fan, but I think he had a good grasp of the Star Trek mythos (though the villain was kind of weak.)

Time travel anomalies paradoxes can be difficult to wrap you head around. As in how could you go back in time to meet yourself? A very good argument is you can't, there is only one of you, that is unless you embrace the notion of the Multiverse, than anything goes, just go with the flow! :)

My absolute favorite time anomaly paradox story is the STNG series finale, All Good Things. I get emotional thinking about it. :D

allgood.jpg

Last edited:

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Yesterday I watched The World's End with Simon Pegg and company. It wasn't what I expected at all, but was enjoyable nonetheless.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
In honor of the passing of and would-be birthday today of Lauren Bacall, TCM has been airing some of the movies she has starred in, yesterday and today. So starting right now, I'm watching To Have and Have Not (1944).
During WWII, American expatriate Harry Morgan helps transport a Free French Resistance leader and his beautiful wife to Martinique while romancing a sexy lounge singer.
Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 5.22.23 PM.png

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Oblivion was good. I'll stream this when it's available.

Time travel anomalies paradoxes can be difficult to wrap you head around. As in how could you go back in time to meet yourself? A very good argument is you can't, there is only one of you, that is unless you embrace the notion of the Multiverse, than anything goes, just go with the flow! :)

My absolute favorite time anomaly paradox story is the STNG series finale, All Good Things. I get emotional thinking about it. :D

View attachment 491547

Nicely said and a good choice - been awhile since I've seen that finale. :) I thought the first Trek's time travel/alternate reality worked now that I understand it (Chris, Karl and Zachary really made me think they were the younger incarnations of Kirk, McCoy and Spock.) I also finally saw JJ's nod to John Carpenter's The Thing (the orange ice beastie chasing Kirk on Hoth name-that-ice-planetoid too. :p)

>>>

Just finished watching a favorite gothic/psychedelic giallo of mine (with one of the more unusual Italian thesps of the period, Ivan Rassimov), A White Veil for Mariale.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Matalo! - well all the stories about this psychedelic-ish spaghetti western being hard to swallow are true. That said, there are some interesting moments especially the excellent set piece with the 'hippie' villainess torturing the bound hero with a knife as she glides back and forth on a swing. I understand what the director was trying to do (make a counterculture film with hippies as the enemy - as was common with Italian genre films of the period), but lots of plot holes and a pretty good discordant score don't make a great film.

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I bought Galaxy Quest & watched that again (also saw it in the theaters looonnnnggg ago). Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread --thank you!!!

Last night I rented the 99 cent iTunes movie "The Lunchbox", an indie Indian movie. It was wonderful. Lots of beautiful small moments which added up to so much more. The actors were terrific. Well done!

Attachments

• The_Lunchbox_poster.jpg
    The_Lunchbox_poster.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Galaxy_Quest_poster.jpg
    Galaxy_Quest_poster.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 65

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
After Earth (2013)
A crash landing leaves Kitai Raige and his father Cypher stranded on Earth, a millennium after events forced humanity's escape. With Cypher injured, Kitai must embark on a perilous journey to signal for help.
Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 8.49.20 PM.png

I don't have high expectations for this movie, and had it on the DVR since May or June. I put it on to have some background noise and to clear it from my viewing queue.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Last night I finished Seven Samurai. Three and a half hours of a classic, showdown film. This has been on my list for quite a while, and was definitely worth watching.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
The Lego Movie- this was ok! If you are familiar with my posts at MRs regarding Legos, you'd know I'm President Business! :D

Heh. My wife is President Business. She actually suggested using the Kragle. I had to put an end to that thought.

Loved the movie!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
All This, and Heaven Too (1940)
When lovely and virtuous governess Henriette Deluzy comes to educate the children of the debonair Duc de Praslin, a royal subject to King Louis-Philippe and the husband of the volatile and obsessive Duchesse de Praslin, she instantly incurs the wrath of her mistress, who is insanely jealous of anyone who comes near her estranged husband. Though she saves the duchess's little son from a near-death illness and warms herself to all the children, she is nevertheless dismissed by the vengeful duchess. Meanwhile, the attraction between the duke and Henriette continues to grow, eventually leading to tragedy.
Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 7.15.27 AM.png

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Network

Haven't seen this in such a long time. I understand it now though, having some knowledge of the corporate world and television. While the satire only picked up in the last 30 minutes, this was a very telling and compelling movie. The last couple of minutes and the fade out to the end credits were seriously messed up. Robert Duvall, Faye Dunaway and Ned Beatty were terrific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.