Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjbjordan

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
1GB Free Data/$200 Trade in

Do you know if I am doing the $200 trade in gift card, will I also be getting the free 1GB data? I was not sure if its one offer only or I will get both. Thanks in advance.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Does anyone know why I can't trade in my old iPhone now for the $200 card? I stopped in the store today and they said I can only trade it in after I activate my new i6.

Which is weird because Verizon's own terms say you can trade it in in-store from 9/12 - 9/30?

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Does anyone know why I can't trade in my old iPhone now for the $200 card? I stopped in the store today and they said I can only trade it in after I activate my new i6.

Which is weird because Verizon's own terms say you can trade it in in-store from 9/12 - 9/30?

You can process the trade in, but you will not get your money until the iPhone 6 is activated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Now Verizon is telling me that I would have to wait 180 days before switching a device from one line to another. :mad:

Is there really no way to keep your UDP and still receive upgrade pricing?
Are you sure that's corporate Verizon saying something like that and not some authorized reseller?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nope, it was an authorized reseller telling me that today
Authorized resellers often have their own policies on top of Verizon's. You are better off going directly with Verizon to avoid things of that nature (unless you are truly getting some sort of an amazing deal from the reseller that would make the extra conditions they have worthwhile for you, or if you perhaps don't care about those conditions if you were let's say planning to keep the phone on the line for a few years anyway and more than 180 days).

Halt&CatchFire

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks for the Verizon help.
Quick question, I ordered 64gb iphone 6+ through apple using my Verizon plan upgrade that I've been saving for 7 months.

If I don't get my phone tomorrow, even though that's the delivery date with no shipping info, and I go into a Verizon store and they have my phone....will they let me use my upgrade? Then I can return the phone ordered through Apple?

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks for the Verizon help.
Quick question, I ordered 64gb iphone 6+ through apple using my Verizon plan upgrade that I've been saving for 7 months.

If I don't get my phone tomorrow, even though that's the delivery date with no shipping info, and I go into a Verizon store and they have my phone....will they let me use my upgrade? Then I can return the phone ordered through Apple?

You would have to cancel the Apple order first, which if it's in shipping status, cannot be done.

So no, you couldn't do that.

HorseSLC

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Unlimited Data?

I have unlimited data and would like to keep it that way. I am planning on waiting outside the Apple Store in Bellevue, WA in a few hours when I get to the Seattle area. Will I have trouble buying the iPhone out right from the Apple Store or do I need to try my luck getting a phone at a Verizon store?
thanks

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
You would have to cancel the Apple order first, which if it's in shipping status, cannot be done.

So no, you couldn't do that.

I asked two Verizon people and they said that YES you can cancel and buy your phone in person especially if you were not charged yet.

If it has a status of "shipping" then you would have already been charged, right?

jme2712

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
$249 after trade in w/ a case

And I got to Keep my unlimited data!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 9.25.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 9.25.06 AM.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 121

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I have a Verizon-related question:

I have three lines on my family plan. None of them are due for an upgrade til late Dec. We purchased three new iPhone 6 + full price. So when I login to my verizon account, it says on all three lines "you have a device waiting to be activated."

Two of the three of us know we want the new 6+. The third knows she does NOT want one and is keeping her 5s. We bought one of each color (two from Apple, one from Verizon.) We plan on choosing the two colors we like best, and either returning the other one or selling it to a friend (who is NOT on our family plan.) Selling just to get money back, not for profit!

So my question is..... if we sell one of the phones, and the friend activates on their account, will that message fall off of our 3rd line (the 'you have a device waiting to be activated' message)?

I sold my 5s several weeks ago in preparation for this, and so I know how easy it is to just swap sims at will. But when I asked this same question at my local Verizon store the other day, I was met with blank stares and finally the answer of "well if you give that phone to your friend, the number goes with it." I KNOW this is wrong, because I've bought and sold used iPhones in the past.

Has anyone done this before? Again, none of these were subsidized upgrades on the lines. Full price paid for each phone.

Thank you to anyone who can help set my mind at ease! I simply thought we'd pick the two we liked best, each of us pop our respective sims in from our current Verizon phones, and turn the new phones on and we'd be done. Now I'm not so sure?

jme2712

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
So how did you pull it off??

i did it at a verizon store. The rep transferred my upgrade to my wife's tdp line and then pulled the sim out before turning it on and put the sim from my iPhone 5 in it. Then he did some back end stuff to remove the pending activation on my wife's line. It appears I skipped the activation fee as well. I also traded my 5 for 200$

xplrr

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
i did it at a verizon store. The rep transferred my upgrade to my wife's tdp line and then pulled the sim out before turning it on and put the sim from my iPhone 5 in it. Then he did some back end stuff to remove the pending activation on my wife's line. It appears I skipped the activation fee as well. I also traded my 5 for 200$

Damn! I'm upgrading from a 4S, so I have no SIM to swap. I was hoping I could just activate on my wife's 2GB tiered line, then re-activate her Galaxy, leaving the iPhone 6 availale to activate on my unlimited line. I guess I'll be losing my unlimited after all :(

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Damn! I'm upgrading from a 4S, so I have no SIM to swap. I was hoping I could just activate on my wife's 2GB tiered line, then re-activate her Galaxy, leaving the iPhone 6 availale to activate on my unlimited line. I guess I'll be losing my unlimited after all :(

I have an iPhone 4 and Verizon didn't have SIM cards for that. In fact, I never had a SIM card.

I guess I have to go to the store to activate it.

jme2712

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008

Do you have any friends with VZW lte phones?

xplrr

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Do you have any friends with VZW lte phones?

None that have the same sized sim, and I wouldn't want to risk cutting up someone else's sim card! I'll give the old method a try, if it doesn't work then I'll go with the 6GB for $30 that they're offering to unlimited users, or I may go with the 8GB More Everything, since my wife rarely goes over 1GB/mo., which would leave 7GB's for me :)

xplrr

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
The old method appears to have worked....so far.

FedEx pulled up 10 minutes after I got home from work (perfect timing!), I activated my new 64GB Space Grey iPhone 6 on my wife's 2GB tiered data line, made a call to verify, then re-activated her old Galaxy S3 back on her line. I then activated the iPhone 6 on my unlimited data line, made a call to verify, then checked my account online. It shows the iPhone 6 on my line with Unlimited data included!! No sim swap required!! Wohoo!!

jme2712

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
The old method appears to have worked....so far.

FedEx pulled up 10 minutes after I got home from work (perfect timing!), I activated my new 64GB Space Grey iPhone 6 on my wife's 2GB tiered data line, made a call to verify, then re-activated her old Galaxy S3 back on her line. I then activated the iPhone 6 on my unlimited data line, made a call to verify, then checked my account online. It shows the iPhone 6 on my line with Unlimited data included!! No sim swap required!! Wohoo!!

This is what I like to hear!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
So I stopped into my local Verizon Wireless store. (Geez, could they make their retail process any more like running the gauntlet?)

Anyway, they gave me quite the song-and-dance about having to mail in my iPhone trade in, something about printing the shipping label, and getting a card back in two weeks after someone's looked it over, etc. How are people getting the $200 credit? Sounds nothing like you guys getting $200 off your phone in the stores.

FWIW, I ordered my iPhone 6 at VerizonWireless.com on the Edge plan, and haven't actually activated the phone yet.

Am I just being penalized for not buying at this particular store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.