Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markrogo

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
I'm struggling for evidence that LastPass uses TouchID for the Master Password....

It certainly is capable of securing form filling with TouchID, but the actual app seems to require the same kind of login scheme it always required: a long, unique password unless you want to create a risk of giving the world all your other passwords.

This is really marginal at best....

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
I have LastPass but only an iPhone5. Having seen it in action fully on my girlfriends phone using TouchID I have made my decision to upgrade to iPhone6 sooner rather than later.

p.s. Bit misleading to call LastPass free though. It's free to download but you need a premium subscription of $1 a month to access it. Totally worth it, but should still be made clear.

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
You have to go to the security settings and change how frequently the Master Password is requested. If you set it to 30 days then it will just use touchID until 30 days have passed (or if TouchID fails too many times).

Where do you change this? I've looked in TouchID settings and the only option in there is require password immediately.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
this....is...sooooo cool! Finally in combination with 1Password! This alone is for me good enough reason to order an iPhone 6 tomorrow in Holland, even 2 one for me and one for my girlfriend!

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Is it possible in ios8 to enable TouchID only for use in apps? I don't like using it for unlocking the device itself but would love for it to replace app logins.

Or, has the "require password after x mins" been increased for device unlocking? I wouldn't mind it if I only had to "unlock" after 30 mins or so but I hate being forced to "unlock" after < 5 mins.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I don't know about this. We'll probably see startling and grisly stories about stolen iPhones along with having taken the victim's index finger.

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
sometimes i wonder how ios would be without the jailbreak community. Almost every tweak i use is integrated into ios a few years later

----------

I don't know about this. We'll probably see startling and grisly stories about stolen iPhones along with having taken the victim's index finger.

you watch too many movies

wav

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I looked at the Amazon app settings and there's no mention of Touch ID. Maybe it's only for the U.S. version?

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
C'mon Wells Fargo... GEEZ!

Bank of America, American Express, Chase, Paypal...none of them have Touch ID in their latest versions. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

This is one of the main reasons I am upgrading from my iPhone 5 to the 6. If it weren't for opening up the Touch ID to developers, I'd definitely stick with my 5.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA

Uhhh, yeah. Definitely too much movies. I think the way that Apple scans your prints, your fingerprint won't do any good if there's no blood in the fingers to keep it the same.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Uhhh, yeah. Definitely too much movies. I think the way that Apple scans your prints, your fingerprint won't do any good if there's no blood in the fingers to keep it the same.

I don't know. Suppose I said that guys in another country were going to slice other's heads off while they were still alive. Too many movies, right?

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Will it still ask for your icloud password to enable touch ID every few hours? This annoying "protection" is why I am never able to actually use touch ID for downloads. Every time I download something, I have to put in my icloud password anyway to enable touch ID. The next time I download something, I have to do the same thing again (since the permissions to use touch ID expires between downloads), not to mention how pointless it is to require authentication to download a free app with no in-app purchases.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
the heck, scan pro with touch ID is kinda lame.

why would I need to password this app.

kinda pointless effort

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
the heck, scan pro with touch ID is kinda lame.

why would I need to password this app.

kinda pointless effort

You might not need it, but for someone with regulatory compliance for Docs from SEC, HIPAA, etc. this would be a nice addition as then it would be compliant.

----------

I'm struggling for evidence that LastPass uses TouchID for the Master Password....

It certainly is capable of securing form filling with TouchID, but the actual app seems to require the same kind of login scheme it always required: a long, unique password unless you want to create a risk of giving the world all your other passwords.

This is really marginal at best....

Go to their blog and watch the video. It explains how to use it. Works quite well.

----------

I looked at the Amazon app settings and there's no mention of Touch ID. Maybe it's only for the U.S. version?

Nope, can't find anything is US version either. Tried various logout and log back in scenarios, change 1-Click settings, etc. Nothing I could find. Maybe they have not turned it on yet on their server side?

----------

Correct. It is capacitive. Humans are essentially bags of water. Ever get your TouchID sensor or iPhone screen wet and have trouble using it? That's why. So a dead dried out fingerprint would be somewhat useless. They did the hack last year where they harvested a finger print. So it could maybe be cut off of the top few layers of skin from a dead finger before it dried out, and lifted off and stuck to a live finger to make it work. Pretty gruesome. Highly unlikely for common thievery. Thieves are usually idiots who take the path of least resistance.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Pathetic reply from Dropbox on their blog:

Not in this release, but we've let our team know this is something you're interested in. Thanks

...when asking if they were planning to add Touch ID support to their app. It reads as generic, like they didn't even think of that until I mentioned it.

iPhil

macrumors 68040

The Amazon App has been updated with the ability to sign-in using Touch ID.

Features:
Comprehensive
Browse, search, get product details, read reviews and purchase millions of products available from Amazon.com and other merchants.

Convenient
Sign in with your existing Amazon account to access your cart, payment and shipping options. No need to create a new account to manage your 1-Click settings and wish lists, track your orders and use your Prime membership benefits. Shop just as you do on the web.

Fast
Compare prices and check availability instantly by scanning a barcode, snapping a picture or typing your search.

Secure
All purchases are routed through Amazon's secure servers.

Universal
Shop Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.com, Amazon.it, Amazon.es, Amazon.cn, Amazon.co.jp or Amazon.in from a single app.

What's New In This Version:
- Sign in to Amazon with Touch ID
- Bug fixes

if you got 5S-- just update the amazon app and its world wide TouchID access on amazon app...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ummm...

Aside from the heath crap, continuity, and and else that "may not have real words permanence" Touch ID for LastPass may be a good reason to update..

Then again, since i have a strong master password anyway, its a difficult choice. 90% of the iOS8 features i wouldn't even want.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
ummm...

Aside from the heath crap, continuity, and and else that "may not have real words permanence" Touch ID for LastPass may be a good reason to update..

Then again, since i have a strong master password anyway, its a difficult choice. 90% of the iOS8 features i wouldn't even want.

90%? Really? I find iOS 7 and 8 is consistently making our lives easier, compared to earlier versions, which is why I keep upgrading.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
The Amazon App has been updated with the ability to sign-in using Touch ID.

Features:
Comprehensive
Browse, search, get product details, read reviews and purchase millions of products available from Amazon.com and other merchants.

Convenient
Sign in with your existing Amazon account to access your cart, payment and shipping options. No need to create a new account to manage your 1-Click settings and wish lists, track your orders and use your Prime membership benefits. Shop just as you do on the web.

Fast
Compare prices and check availability instantly by scanning a barcode, snapping a picture or typing your search.

Secure
All purchases are routed through Amazon's secure servers.

Universal
Shop Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.com, Amazon.it, Amazon.es, Amazon.cn, Amazon.co.jp or Amazon.in from a single app.

What's New In This Version:
- Sign in to Amazon with Touch ID
- Bug fixes

if you got 5S-- just update the amazon app and its world wide TouchID access on amazon app...

I have the latest version of the Amazon app installed. But I cannot see any mention of signing in with Touch ID.

On looking in the App Store for UK, the latest version of the app mentions only about bug fixes, no mention of Touch ID.

I would guess that the Touch ID feature of the Amazon app depends on which country you are in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.