Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nemic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate any help here.

I have some documents stored in iCloud in the form of spreadsheets and they only exist in iCloud. I use my MacBook to open them and they are password protected.

I just logged onto iCloud today and it states:

"To use numbers, you'll need to upgrade your account to iCloud Drive."

It will not let me open any of the files.

It also says I cannot access anything unless I upgrade to OSX Yosemite.

So Yosemite has not been released yet, yet Apple won't let me access anything unless I upgrade? I am not installing a Beta OS on my only computer.

I want to access my files.

Is there anyway I can do this?

I do have an iPad and iPhone running iOS 8.

I think it is unacceptable for Apple to lock file access in iCloud and keep them locked until you install their Beta software.

I will install Yosemite, but not until it is released.

Another question:

IF I upgrade to iCloud Drive, will I be able to access my files from a PC?

At the moment it won't let me. But I was wondering if it would if I do?

I can usually access files in iCloud from a PC browser, but not since today.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Yup, you're stuck, not being able to use icloud.com for Pages, Keynote nor Numbers, until you upgrade to iCloud Drive. I won't even think about this until Yosemite is out. With versions 2.4.2 of the iOS iWork apps, recently released, they work fine on my iPad and iPhone on iOS 8.0 without iCloud Drive. Haven't had a chance to try on my Mac yet, but believe they'd work there, too. You've just lost the webview. It is what it is.

If you're desperate, you can install public beta 3 of Yosemite on your Mac, and thereby enable iCloud Drive for now. It's a risk everyone will have to weigh for themselves. For me, pulling the trigger on iCloud Drive immediately is nuts. Too risky, given Apple's well-earned poor reputation on deployment of cloud services.

Last edited:

Nemic

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Thanks for your help.

I have just noticed that I can still access the document using the Pages application in Mavericks. :)

That is a big relief !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.