Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
For those of you who have installed iOS 8, can you tell me how well AirPlay works without a Wi-Fi network?

This will be a huge feature I am looking forward to.

Here is the article I'm referring to.

Last edited:

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I was looking forward to this but it turns out that it only works with Apple tv revision A released last year. I own an Atv released in 2012 so no luck for me. I read this in the fine print in the new Apple TV main site

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
I was looking forward to this but it turns out that it only works with Apple tv revision A released last year. I own an Atv released in 2012 so no luck for me. I read this in the fine print in the new Apple TV main site

if you have the second generation apple TV and you arent currently using it as a jailbroken device, you should consider selling it. You can sell it for twice what you paid for it and then buy the 3rd generation and pocket close to $100.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Where are you getting the idea that you can AirPlay using Bluetooth from an iOS 8 device to an Apple TV? I thought Apple TV's support for bluetooth was only for device discovery purposes and all communications thereafter would be over Wi-Fi. The new iOS 8 release does talk about streaming/AirPlay audio to bluetooth enabled speakers.

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
There is a misunderstanding. I do own an atv 3 but not the revision they released last year

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Where are you getting the idea that you can AirPlay using Bluetooth from an iOS 8 device to an Apple TV? I thought Apple TV's support for bluetooth was only for device discovery purposes and all communications thereafter would be over Wi-Fi. The new iOS 8 release does talk about streaming/AirPlay audio to bluetooth enabled speakers.

This is what I'm referring to:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/03/ios-8-uses-peer-to-peer-connections-for-airplay-to-apple-tv-no-longer-needs-a-network/

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Interesting, perhaps there are multiple communications protocol updates as part of the iOS 8 release, AirPlay Direct (bluetooth) and AirPlay Peer-to-Peer (wi-fi but without a wi-fi network). Maybe they are one in the same and Apple's lack of transparency on how they're implemented is contributing to the confusion. Either way, from an Apple TV perspective, I would imagine you would need to roll out a software update as well but I'm not aware of any ATV software release documenting support for AirPlay Peer-to-Peer.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Using the mid-2012 Apple TV. Spent an hour updating, and can't figure out how to access the peer-to-peer AirPlay feature. So either the feature is really well hidden, or my Apple TV isn't compatible.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Using the mid-2012 Apple TV. Spent an hour updating, and can't figure out how to access the peer-to-peer AirPlay feature. So either the feature is really well hidden, or my Apple TV isn't compatible.

Your devices are on iOS 8?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Your devices are on iOS 8?

Yup. IPhone 5s and retina iPad mini both running ios8.

One thought came to mind - I am using a wifi-only ipad. Not sure if that makes a difference, but if anyone with a 4g ipad can get it to work, then I guess we have our answer there.

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013

As I mentioned, only Apple TV 3 revision A (not the 2012 model) works with peer to peer AirPlay.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Ummm, the one that was released yesterday?
Ummm, I said there has been no release where the peer-to-peer support has been officially "Documented" as being included. Could Apple have just put it in the latest release and not disclosed anything about? You need to ask them.

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Actually it was implemented with the latest update 7.0.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448?

It says: Peer-to-peer AirPlay Guests can AirPlay from their Mac or iOS device directly to your Apple TV (model A1469 or later) without connecting to your wireless network.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Yeah, I still can't find any official release notes published by Apple about ATV supporting Peer-to-Peer Airplay but apparently it is a new feature that others have gotten to work. I guess the trick is to make sure you turn-off your wi-fi network first. Here is a support thread about it on the Apple website:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6537491

lunarmac

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Yup. Got it to work.

Make sure you keep your device WiFi on but not be connected to a network. The Apple TV can be connected to a network.

Have Bluetooth on both the device and Apple TV.

Swipe up on the device and the Airplay button should show your Apple TV.

Pretty cool and I can see it coming in handy when traveling.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Must be a browser related issue. I've been using Chrome and I couldn't see the 7.0 update until I opened the link in Safari.

That page is acting really funny. Luckily, I took a screenshot of it:

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 9.30.29 PM.png

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Yup. Got it to work.

Make sure you keep your device WiFi on but not be connected to a network. The Apple TV can be connected to a network.

Have Bluetooth on both the device and Apple TV.

Swipe up on the device and the Airplay button should show your Apple TV.

Pretty cool and I can see it coming in handy when traveling.

Having trouble getting peer to peer air play working. I did the above, making sure I left wifi on on my device but forgetting the wifi connection. Also blue tooth is on on both device and Apple TV. However , I don't see the AirPlay button appearing when I swipe up the control center.

Apple TV : model number is MD199C/A which is the Apple TV 3 Revision A model? Apple Tv software is 7.0 (6897.5) updated Sept 17 or 18, 2014

Device : iPhone 5s with iOS 8.0 updated Sept 19, 2014

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Having trouble getting peer to peer air play working. I did the above, making sure I left wifi on on my device but forgetting the wifi connection. Also blue tooth is on on both device and Apple TV. However , I don't see the AirPlay button appearing when I swipe up the control center.

Apple TV : model number is MD199C/A which is the Apple TV 3 Revision A model? Apple Tv software is 7.0 (6897.5) updated Sept 17 or 18, 2014

Device : iPhone 5s with iOS 8.0 updated Sept 19, 2014

The rev A model is A1469.

Check the bottom of your Apple TV, it'll say which model you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.